“Not terrible, but not good.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Aladdin

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Aladdin to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Aladdin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1215 Wyandotte Street, Kansas City, MO 64105 (Formerly Citi Centre Plaza Hotel & Aladdin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #52 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Pittsburgh PA
“Not terrible, but not good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very old hotel. Small rooms. They are clean, but elevators and the whole setup is old. Have not been to the Marriot or any of the other convention hotels but there has to be something better. A difficult trip through the parking lot to get to the convention center over a series of steps.

Room Tip: Most have views of a brick wall 15 feet away.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! Our hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places and offers a unique experience for our guests. We take great pride in our service, and hope that everything met your standards. We hope to see you back again very soon!

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My granddaughter was in a dance competition at the convention center and the host hotel was the Aladdin. It was conveniently located to the convention center with an underground walkway to the convention center and other hotels nearby. It was very cold in January so the tunnel was good. The staff was excellent. I only ate there for a breakfast buffet and thought it a bit pricey. We were in close proximity (2 blocks) to the Power and Light District which is where the restaurants and tourist attractions were located. My only complaint about the Aladdin was the heating system was old and noisy. The first night we heard some loud music after 10 PM which we were told came from the 16th floor. We were on the 13th floor. There were three of us (daughter and granddaughter and myself) in the room and I had to ask for more cups and coffee. One cup in the room had chips in it, which I gave to the maid and told her to throw it away. The hotel is in an old building, which has that era's beauty. I enjoy seeing the architecture of earlier eras so staying there was a treat. The staff was very friendly and helped immensely. Trying to get my boarding passes for our flight home could NOT be completed in the business center so the girl at the front desk told me to come there and she did it for me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! We do offer an extremely convenient location for all weekend activities in downtown Kansas City. Thank you for the helpful comments about the heating system and glasses - your feedback assists us to make positive changes for all of our guests. We hope to have you back very soon!

Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was not over the top and it wasn't bad either. It is a "boutique" hotel and that's exactly what it presents itself as. The rooms were clean, decorated nicely. The walls are thin though. The staff was very helpful. We only ate breakfast at the hotel, which was the breakfast buffet. It was pretty good. Food was hot and tastey. Not sure if I would pick this hotel again, as there is a Marriott right next door that has a pool; something the kids I was with were bummed about when they heard the Aladdin didnt have. We traveled to Kansas City for a dance competition and the Aladdin was the hosting hotel. All in all it was good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! Our hotel is on the National Register of Historic places and offers a very unique experience for our guests. We are very conveniently located in the heart of downtown Kansas City, and are connected to the Convention Center (where your dance competition was taking place). We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

st. louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in KC for our nieces volleyball tournament. We choose the hotel because that is where the team was staying ( holiday inn is very close to the convention center just a few blocks. My niece said you can even get there without going outside ) Check in was great. They offer comp mimosas at check in. The staff could not have been more friendly. I didnt feel like I was at a holiday inn. The building was old and historic. Beautiful lobby. The rooms where very cute and clean. Our room was a little bigger than my parents room. The building is old so you could hear some hallway noise during the day but it didn't bother me at all.

My parents had the same friendly service at check in. My mom being handicap asked for a room right by the elevator. They warned her of the high traffic noise that room might have but they were ok with it also. They offered the mimosas and when my dad declined they offered him other choices. He said a cup of coffee would be great. The man at the desk took them to there room and sent for a fresh carafe of coffee for my dad. He checked the room first for them and straightened the bedding that was just a hair off then asked if he could get them anything else. Great service. Not at all what I expected.

We booked online. They offered 119.00for the night or 129.00 for the night plus two breakfasts. I wasn't sure if we would eat there in the morning so I past on breakfast. We ended up paying full price for breakfast (13.99pp) but that's ok. It was good and service was once again great and convenient.

I was very impressed with this hotel. For 119.00 per night it was a wonderful experiance. I would defiantly recommend this holiday inn. There is a spa on site but I did not use it. They have valet parking for a one time fee of 16.00 you can then come a go whenever you want and didn't wait long at all for the car.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor facing the convention center. Our room and view was good. My moms room on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! We take great pride in our service and the product we are able to deliver to our guest. The champagne is my favorite part too!

Audubon, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Aladdin on November 16, 2012. From the moment we arrived at our room our keys did not work so with assistance from the front desk we headed out for the night. When we returned for the evening, the key did not work again. After the manager tried other options, he put us in another room for the night until someone else came in the morning. To this point I was ok with the situation. The issue arose once we left. I contacted management the week after for a refund or something for our trouble. After 10 calls, with promised call backs that never came, I have given up. The location is nice but the customer service was terrible. I really enjoy the power and light district but I will never stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Josh N,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cranston, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The Aladdin is an Interesting Art Deco building; it is obviously an older hotel and needs some refurbishing although Holiday Inn is to be commended for keeping the original design and ambiance. Location is great, in the heart of downtown Kansas City. Rooms are adequate, nothing special.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are very proud of our beautiful hotel! You are correct in stating we are in an excellent location! We hope to see you again soon!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had prepaid for this room so there was really nothing but eating our money that we could have done to make up for this horrible room that we stayed in for two nights.

Check in was smooth and great. Jai was very nice and helpful. I had an issue with my room card not working and he was quick to fix that.

First off, I'm not one to complain about hotels. I know that there are things that can be overlooked and I'm not picky about my surroundings until they start adding up. I realize that this is a small, older hotel and renovations are limited because of this. But this is supposed to be a boutique. It's FAR from it. To me boutique is updated and nice furnishings, clean, unique.

When we arrived in our room, we noticed that the bed was tiny, the room itself was tiny, and the furnishing were worn. There was a stain on the sitting chair, HAIRS (not just 1) all around the edge of the tub, hairs and dirt on the floor in the bathroom, and stains on the wallpaper in the bathroom. Okay I'll let one hair slide, but come on. HOUSEKEEPING needs to be fired. It's simply turning on the shower and rinsing those down the drain. Come on people. Manage your housekeeping a little better. Replace nasty furniture or at least get it cleaned.

The men working Valet were very nice and overworked to say the least. This hotel is limited on front parking and doesn't have a pull through drive like the bigger hotels so it's hard for the valet to keep up. But...it shouldn't take 45 minutes to get my car. Especially since they're only going across the street. Very disappointed in that since we paid $16 a night for that.

We have stayed at another boutique in the area and actually went there to utilize their bar because this hotels bar was TINY.

We will NEVER stay at this establishment again and can't believe that it's rated 3 1/2 stars. Extremely disappointed in the housekeeping and management on top of that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. We take all our guest comments very seriously and use them as a training tool for our staff. We apologize that our hotel fell below your expectations. We take great pride in offering our guests an amazing and unique experience. Unfortunately on this occasion that did not happen. Our hotel and standards far exceed the level of service that you describe. We do hope that on your next visit to Kansas City, you will give us another chance.

Director of Sales and Marketing

Been to Holiday Inn Aladdin? Share your experiences!