“Fine Historic Property” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Omaha, Nebraksa
“Fine Historic Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Staff friendly and helpful during a snowstorm that shut down the city. There was quite a bit of street noise from snow removal equipment even from a high (10th) floor. Food better than average. Quirky layout with lots of steps and ramps....I guess this would be expected with a historic property. Valet/bellman not always present. Carpet getting a little worn and a little mold in shower. I would definitely stay again but I would probably ask to see the room first!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thanks for taking a moment to review your stay at our hotel. There are a couple of issues that we clearly need to address. However overall I am pleased you had a nice stay and most importantly we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Lakewood Village,TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My company booked me here for a downtown Kansas City convention since Hilton is our preferred hotel vendor. As a Diamond member I asked for an upgrade but when I reached my room it was facing the opposite side of the other wing of the hotel and I felt I was in a downtown apartment with no view from the 10th floor. I stayed here four nights and could have tried to change my room but did not bother as I had more important priorities. This is a historic and very old hotel but the rooms and bathrooms were nicely sized, clean and updated for a very old hotel. My room had a nice work desk and a flat screen TV so no real complaints regarding the room. My issues were with the room service and the kitchen and breakfast services. It was the absolute WORST service and wait staff attitudes of any hotel that I have stayed at in my memory. Considering the fact that my room cost around $225 per night plus $18.00 per day for valet, one would expect a higher class of service with more appreciative attitudes. The best and most friendly service was at the Drum Room bar where the wait staff and bartenders were great - the highlight of my stay at the hotel. Room service forgot two memu items and the silverware and 15 minutes later returned (no apology) with silverware but still without one of the entre items and the delivery staff mentioned that room service was closed for the night @ 7:30 PM really?
Also my credit card number (not my actual card) was stolen after spending my first day here and I had to cancel the card which has never ever happened to me ever! Anyone reading this review please note - this is a privately owned franchise Hilton property not a corporate owned Hilton hence the probable reason why this hotel was not up to the typical high standards of a Hilton corporate owned hotel. I am a Diamond member of Hiltons and love this chain and have stayed domestically and internationally at Hiltons with always a good to outstanding experience, this time was not the case. I do not know if I would ever stay here again because of the credit card situation which was weird because after my card company contacted me the hotel delivered a warning letter to everyone stating that calls were being made to hotel guests and asking for their credit card numbers - what? This was not my case and I think the hotel management learned that someone internally was hijacking card numbers and this was a way to CYA (cover your A__) situation and did not want to alarm guests that they may have had a fraud operator somewhere on their staff, but I can not prove this. I usually would ask to speak to the Hotel manager but my schedule was such that I just did not feel like dealing with the multitude of issues. This review is not indicative of all the hotel staff -the concierge was very helpful and the valet guys were friendly and performed their services great. Just don't have breakfast or room service there. I will however give the benefit of the doubt as they may have been shorthanded due to two large snow storms that had hit the city that week so maybe some staff could not make it in to work. The credit card thing was the most disconcerning. Other then that the hotel is about a block from the KC cenvention center and there are numerous restaurants down 14th street. The Bristol Seafood restaurant was excellent if you like seafood.Good luck to future hotel guests, I hope your stay is more uneventful at the Hilton President in downtown KC then mine was! This review todate is the lowest rating I have given any hotel and does not match their average high ratings, perhaps they will learn from this review and improve their operational efficiency for future guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Baltimore Avenue (front of Hotel). Enjoy the Drum Room bar and have a cold Ste...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
So sorry you had some issues during your visit, the hotel was certainly stressed to capacity with two major snowstorms in one week, i know our staff really tried to provide the services we would in normal situations. I would be at your leisure if you would like to discuss your visit over the phone. As you can see by our ratings and comments your visit certainly is not the norm.
Philip
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

A very nice and comfortable Hotel conveniently located in downtown Kansas City. The Staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The Hotel is conveniently located to numeous shops and restaurants. The President is my first choice when visiting Kansas City.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Larry, thanks so much for the great review. I am thankful you pointed out the outstanding staff. We have a wonderful group of hospitality professionals and they will certainly see your kind words. Look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Dallas Center, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our friends introduced us to the Hilton President. It's often hard to modernize a historic property like this, but Hilton has done a beautiful job. We've stayed several times and the staff, from the front desk to the bellman and housekeeping team, always make us feel welcome and appreciated. During our last stay, we had made plans for a special dinner at a nearby restaurant. The event was special enough that my husband and I were both dressed up - he in a suit and I in a cocktail dress. The restaurant was so bad that we left, and went straight to the bar at the hotel to scare up some food. The waitress noticed our attire, listened to our story of woe, and went out of her way to take care of us. The exercise room is high quality with Precor equipment. This is the place to stay if downtown is where you want to be. You can walk to the Power and Light District, Sprint Center, Kavanaugh, Crossroads and the River Market area.

Room Tip: Get a corner room if you can - more light and windows.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I was pleased to hear about a referral from a friend to stay, there is no higher compliment.
We hope to be your first choice every time you visit Kansas City!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton President Hotel before an event at The Midland Theatre. The hotel is beautiful and was within easy walking distance to The Midland and the Power and Light District. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the concise review of our hotel, pointing out one of the best features, location.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
St.Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

. The lobby is open and inviting at the same time but mostly it is beautifully decorated with classic elegance. The doorman was very helpful and the parking was conveniently located. Our King Suite room was nicely sized and decorated most importantly it was very clean. The location of the hotel was also very convenient to the historic downtown, the staples center and even more impressive attractions of the Powers and Light District. It was a great place to start your day with the Kids visiting the College basketball experience and we even walked to the Union Square and Crown Plaza but you want to end your day at the attraction in Powers and Light District with its shopping, bars and restaurants and you want to be near your hotel. We loved the newly redone Drum Room and Restaurant located in the hotel. The food was delicious, the drinks fabulous but the very best part was the service. Absolutely outstanding from the doormen, front desk clerk, the bartenders, waitresses to the management they all went above and beyond to make sure we were satisfied and enjoying our stay. We will highly recommend this hotel and are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so much for the kind words about your visit to our hotel. We are indeed located in the Power and Light Entertainment District, and just a two minute walk to the Sprint Center. Your review noted our location to the Staples Center, while that would be nice...it would indeed be quite a hike to Los Angeles!
Thanks again for your time, we look forward to you returning in the future!
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Quiet, charming, relaxing, beds and bathroom in room is great... love the history and how they have kept up on restorations! The drum room was absolutely wonderful as well with great service! Cant wait to visit again soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Sometimes the best reviews are quick and to the point, covering all of the details that other visitors will find important. Your review was perfect for someone to get a quick read on our wonderful hotel and team. Thanks so much for your time. As you said you cant wait to return...we cant wait to have you back!

Been to Hilton President Kansas City? Share your experiences!