“Love the Historical” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Love the Historical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Great old hotel in the Power and Light district in downtown Kansas City. They kept the old look and feel outside and into the lobby. The lobby is grand with the original staircases, small elevators and the grand chandeliers. Everything downstairs is looks and feels old, but all very nice. Check in before you go the parking garage, you can't park until you have your room key. The staff was very nice, with easy check-in and a quick trip to my room. The rooms have been completely remodeled, very clean and well appointed. A few old pictures on the wall to share the history of the building and local area. Numerous activities, restaurants and entertainment within a short walk. Great location and hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for the very kind words about our hotel. The entire team embraces the historic nature of the hotel, yet at the same time provide every modern amenity you would expect. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Northwest, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton President because of it's convenient location being within walking distance to Sprint Center for the Kid Rock concert. We have stayed here before and both times were very pleased with the hotel. Rooms are clean and very comfortable. Our view was not the best - we looked out our window to see a wall full of other guest room windows, but that is understandable because of it being a renovated building. No real complaints. Parking is a little confusing if not using valet and have not stayed here before. We saw other guests confused about where to check in and then park. You have to check in first in order to get into the parking garage (crossbar won't raise unless you have room key). Some guests were backing up at the parking garage entrance and having to go back and check in first. This was causing some minor issues. We will stay here again when we are attending a Sprint Center event.

Room Tip: Might ask for room with a good view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for the kind review of the hotel. The information you provided about the parking is good feedback as it will help us improve the process. Overall very pleased you enjoyed your visit, and we certainly trust you will stay again for a Sprint Center concert or any other travels to Kansas City.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Sometimes a place feels right..that place is the Hilton President.The lobby is grand and charming at the same time. We stayed during a cheer competition for our daughter. The hotel is walking distance to the Municipal Convention Center and the Power and Lights District which includes a movie theater and restaurants.
Although it was full of rowdy girls, the rooms were very peaceful. The rooms are small but functional. The room decor is modern.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the very kind review. The location of the President really is fantastic for any downtown activity. We are so pleased you had a great visit. We look forward to hosting you in the future!
Telluride, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Liked the Historic Aspect. Room was very comfortable, with tall windows and lovely furnishings. Could have used more towels, but I am sure i could have asked. I would recommend it, and think it was a much better value than others available.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a tub. At least one has only a shower. I liked the corner. It wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Location and value are two important aspects of anyone who travels. I am so pleased you found both in our hotel. We are indeed the only hotel located in the Power and Light Entertainment District and a short Mercedes shuttle ride to anywhere you might want to go.
We look forward to having you back in the future!
Leavenworth, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed here several times now, whether for after a concert when I didn't want to be on the road late, or just for a weekend in downtown Kansas City. A lot of restaurants and attractions are a close walk and it's a short drive down to the Country Club Plaza or Nelson Atkins.

The staff is great and always friendly and professional -- from the valet to the front desk staff and the housekeeping service as well. The renovation of the hotel has kept its 20s charm with all the modern amenities in the guest rooms that one has come to expect from Hilton. Even with its location close to the district we've never had an issue with noise. During the summer we slept with the windows open!

There's a great fitness center, but unfortunately no pool. I'm planning another stay soon and hope to try a corner room or even a suite this time. There's now a Starbucks in the lobby which is super convenient. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast downstairs and I look forward to trying out the recently renovated Drum Room inside the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for the very kind review of our hotel. It is clear you had the chance to take advantage of all the hotel has to offer, and as you pointed out the location is second to none. It was nice you took the time to recognize multiple areas of the hotel and the staff. We certainly look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Wowie- my husband and I stayed this month in the Presidential Suite, and it was truly incredible! Right when we walked into the long black marbled/tiled entryway with the gorgeous chandelier, I was on cloud nine!

Everything felt way fancier than the photos - the views were gorgeous (you could see the fun light display on another hotel across the way) and the furnishings so ritzy and comfy!
All the service from the front desk was outstanding. There were a couple things we needed in the kitchen and the staff very quickly got us what we needed with very helpful attitudes.

The tv's were awesome - there was a huge one in the master bedroom, and one in the living room - they were the high definition or something because the movies we watched seemed to be in 3-D - Sweet!

This hotel has done a lovely job of keeping the 1920's vibe while making sure everything is modernized/convenient - in the lobby we really felt like we were going back in time.

It's obvious from our whole stay there that this hotel has an awesome manager. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in downtown KC!

I will note - our one year old daughter was with us, but there were no worries that she'd break anything as all of the "artifacts" and decor were too high for her to reach. This was awesome, because she could roam the place and have a hay day without my hubby and I having to constantly keep an eye on her. :) I just say this to anyone thinking about using the Presidential Suite as a family getaway as we did.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the roomy and plush Presidential Suite!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderful review. To be described as "surreal" is fantastic. I am so pleased you had the chance to enjoy the historic nature of the hotel and the wonderful guest rooms. I hope you can make it back to visit in the future!
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This past weekend we were able to stay in the Presidential Suite and I must say, it's the most incredible room you'll ever visit!! Everything is immaculate, and they even have a Wii in the room! Giant flat screen TVs and don't even get me started on the bathroom (breathtaking!) The shower is huge, yet still has a door to keep the steam in, and the hot tub fits 3 comfortably. This would be the perfect place for a romantic getaway for sure!
I haven't even mentioned the SERVICE!! I probably called the front desk about 10 times over our 2 day stay with questions and needs. Every time they were extremely helpful, kind, and professional! (Also didn't make me feel bad for asking silly questions!) The VALET has ALWAYS been extremely kind and helpful when I visit and I've heard the same thing from mny people who have visited. I was checked in, and up to my room with all my TONS of stuff within 7 minutes of arriving thanks to the helpful Valet and the speedy staff. Teresa checked me in and was nothing but smiles! I'm incredibly happy to have had the chance to stay here, and I know my husband was too!
P.S. The bed was heavenly and so soft - down comforter and pillows! My favorite! Also, we requested another trash can, and within 20 minutes another one was in our kitchen, along with more paper towels, and a roll of trash bags. Going above and beyond is this Hotels norm. Thank you Hilton President for an amazing weekend!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the wonderful review. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. And thanks for pointing out the service you encountered, this is what truly sets us apart. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Been to Hilton President Kansas City? Share your experiences!