“Great Location, Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast, Parking & WiFi
Ranked #21 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis
“Great Location, Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a very nice Hilton located in the heart of the Power & Light District. We were in from Indianapolis and stayed here as we were in town for the Colts-Chiefs game. The hotel is in prime location for the Sprint Center and Power & Light District. There are numerous restaurants and bars within walking distance. Nothing is out of walking distance in downtown Kansas City. We took in the Florida-Kansas State basketball game Saturday night and were able to walk the short 4 blocks to the Sprint Center.

The rooms were nice, typicall Hilton rooms. The view was terrible and there was hair on the bed, but this seems to be pretty standard among Hilton brand hotels. I don't think I've been to a Hilton wherer I didn't find either the maid or prior guests' hair on the bed. The bathroom was very spacious and the TV is a very nice flatscreen featuring HD channels.

We used the business center to print off a parking pass and everything was smoothly. My son used the fitness center in the morning and was very pleased. 3 treadmills along with 3 elipticals. There is also space for ab and upper body work. We didn't eat any meals at this hotel. Valet staff were a bit slow but very nice and pleasent to talk with. It is $18 a night to park. Overall, pleased with the stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thanks for the kind review of your visit to our hotel. Looks like there were a couple of hiccups, sorry about those. But overall it is clear you had a very nice visit. I am pleased you noted the excellent location and kind staff. We all work very hard to provide a wonderful experience. We certainly look forward to seeing you again in the future!

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Our family stayed here for 2 nights in early December. My husband and I had one room, and my son, his wife and 2 young children had another. We were in town for the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert. This hotel is 2 blocks from the Sprint Center, so it was extremely convenient. The hotel itself looks almost unchanged from the 1930's, according the the photos - in a good way. It is charming, clean and friendly. It was beautifully decorated for the holidays. On Saturday night, when all the local restaurants had long waits, we had a lovely dinner in the hotel restaurant which was not crowded and surprisingly, very kid-friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the review. We are all pleased you had such kind comments about your visit to our hotel. Most importantly was your comment that you would stay in the future. We certainly hope to see you again if your travels bring you to Kansas City!
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

HIlton Honors Silver member. First stay at this hotel. Booked three night for business online. Arrived at about 2 p.m. and rooms were ready - upgrades not available. Hotel was eerily empty which was odd but later learned that this part of Downtown is primarily busy during special events like concerts or basketball games. No upgrades though? Saw a total of three other guests the 1st 24 hours - very odd.

Assigned King room 924. Decent size with all necessary amenities. High enough floor so outside noise was non existent. Bathroom is nicely done with stand up shower and glass enclosure. Always appreciate those over shower curtains. Fan in bathroom turned on via motion sensor - first I have seen this. It also had a night light in it that activated by motion when the did - nice touch.

Room was clearly an old building that had been renovated to keep the history and charm. Decor not to my taste but bed was comfortable and room was spotless. When booking online I requested foam or hyper allergenic pillows and those were not there upon arrival. Called housekeeping to have them delivered and ten minutes later and gentlemen entered my room without knocking and had three pillows with no pillow case. Didn't even react when he saw me sitting at the desk. Wanted to know if he should put pillow cases on them. Really?? How about knocking 1st next time. Lesson learned for dead bolt on hotel room door.

Drum Room in lobby was decent food since it was convenient but I would not go out of my way to eat here. Bartenders were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Happy Hour menu was a great value for an early dinner. Did not dine in dining room itself so cannot speak to service there. Room service for breakfast both mornings was prompt and arrived promptly and accurately.

Location of hotel was great for Downtown business or leisure. Walking distance to dozens of bars and restaurants as well as event centers for concerts and games. I would stay here again without question based on location and cleanliness of rooms alone.

Room Tip: Higher floor on busy weekend nights but during the week does not seem to matter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thanks so much for the kind review, even though it sounds there were a couple of service hiccups. Looks like some touch up training issues with the pillow delivery, sorry. Certainly pleased you found everything else to your liking.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Truly the best of the best. Old school service and quality from Wallace at the front door to Nick the front desk manager, other front desk folks, and housekeeping attention to detail and service was outstanding; perfect in every way. I was welcomed "home". An additional surprise is the excellent new Providence restaurant located in the hotel. Manager Rick Brook, assistant manager Daniel, professional server Andrew...all work toghther as a skilled team to deliver an old school charm dining experience, supurb food, and a classic menu with more than a few pleasant surprises. If this sounds like a "commercial", it's not. I'm an auction company executive appraoching 200 hotel nights for 2012. About 80 of the nights are in Hilton properties. My 1st priority in hotels is a comfortable bed and I find Hilton beds and bedding of good, dependable and consistent quality. I look forward to returning to the Hilton President on my next trip to Kansas City in late January 2013. Many thanks, Andrew Stone

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mr. Stone-
Thanks so much for taking the time to recount your visit to our hotel. It is so nice to see such a wonderful review from our valued Hilton HHonors members! You mean the world to us, and when we read a review like this, it makes it all worth while. We will certainly see that the entire staff is aware of your kind review, and we look forward to having you back in the future!
Philip
Omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed for only one night for a little getaway and we loved it. The staff was very helpful and nice and the location was great. Right in the heart of the power and light district with plenty to do. The Drum Room makes a really good Manhattan and the lobby is very relaxing. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I am certainly pleased to see you enjoyed our newly renovated Drum Room lounge. The location of the hotel just cant be beat if you are coming to downtown Kansas City. We look forward to seeing you in the future, thanks again for your time!
OKC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Good : Decor, cleanliness, great staff, wonderful lobby, Quiet solid walls/floors, great bed, upscale atmosphere, Drum Room, location.

The bad: Valet unorganized/hard to figure out, front desk confusion, shower water pressure.

The ugly: Shower drain.

This is a WONDERFUL hotel and we had a great time! The decor is absolutely beautiful and you will feel like you are back in time 70 years. The hotel is wonderfully maintained and much is original in the way of moldings and woodwork. The hotel was full both nights we were there, and we never heard a peep from guests in the surrounding or above/below rooms. No creaking in the nicely decorated hallways, no "old building" smell like in some historical hotels. The location is perfect for downtown business, or pleasure in the power and light district or crown plaza area, all in walking distance. The staff were all professional and very helpful. The Drum Room is an outstanding place to socialize and meet guests for drinks. I loved the history of the room while drinking a few. The on site Starbucks was nice, and helped me out above and beyond when I needed some extra utensils for the room.

The valet can be hard to figure out. At times there was no one there and we had to stand outside on the sidewalk and wait for someone to show up. One time we returned at 1am and had to leave our vehicle and get the front desk to hunt the valet down. Once present, valet was always polite and courteous, fast and efficient. For $18/day, the valet should be seamless. When we checked in, I asked if my HH upgrade request had been accepted, and she said "yes sir, you have been upgraded". We were excited about the upgrade, only to get to our non upgraded room. No big deal, but sucked to be expecting something and to be disappointed like that because the desk was confused. Water pressure in the shower was really low, but we did not mind as we know this comes with the historical hotel territory.

Our shower drain was completely clogged. The shower quickly filled with water. We called the desk, left for four hours, and problem had been resolved when we returned, no more problems.

Room Tip: There is no pool at this hotel, but the fitness room is large and nicely appointed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thanks so much for the wonderful review of your visit to our hotel. When the renovation took place a few years back it was complete and comprehensive. The building was taken back to floors and exterior walls only, and the renovation took place, thus the feeling of a new hotel, yet at the same time paying tribute to the hotel's wonderful historic past. We hope others that read your review take the time to stop by, stay, and enjoy this treasure of Kansas City history.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We live close by and I had been to this hotel several times to do hair and makeup for wedding parties. I had never dealt with service, staff, rooms, etc. so wasn't sure what to expect but knew that I loved the hotel itself. I was glad that we picked this hotel for the first night of our staycation and wish that we would have picked it for both nights vs. staying the other night at a hotel nearby that didn't live up to everything that I wanted it to.

After reading reviews I decided to ask for a higher up floor on the SE corner so that we could view the Power and Light District lights. This was a great decision. We were placed in that area and could not have been more happy with our room. We stayed in room 702, if I am correct. The room was beautiful, the views were fantastic and we were truly happy with every part of it. There was a concert going on that evening at The Midland as well as a basketball tournament at The Sprint Center. We were never bothered with noise. The bed was comfortable, bathroom spacious, shower fine, fan in bathroom is motion detected...stays on for a very short time and didn't bother us at all. The noise in bathroom is not noticeable in bedroom at all. Wi-fi...we could not access at all. It is free, which we totally appreciated...but couldn't use because we couldn't find the host.

When we arrived at the hotel we had plans of parking in the garage as I have had issues with slow valet when doing weddings. Nick, who was overseeing valet, was there when we arrived and told us that he would take care of us...so we opted to valet as it is just $2 more (plus tip). Nick was great. Very nice and assuring. When we did get the car the next day, Nick was there and did just as he promised. I hope that this continues as it is absolutely worth it to valet when they are quick and also careful. I do wish that they would not charge at all for parking their guests...but it is what it is. I wish that they would consider this though as they still would get many to valet.

We loved the location of the hotel as we were able to walk to dinner and then to drinks afterwards.

We will definitely return soon. This is a gem in KC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thanks much for the great review, we think the hotel is a "gem" too!
Sorry you had some wifi issues, point taken, and we are working on that. Your review was very detailed, I am sure other potential visitors will take notice of the benefits of staying at our hotel! Thanks again for your time.

Been to Hilton President Kansas City? Share your experiences!