“Great place and location.” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast, Parking & WiFi
Ranked #20 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Omaha
“Great place and location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed for only one night for a little getaway and we loved it. The staff was very helpful and nice and the location was great. Right in the heart of the power and light district with plenty to do. The Drum Room makes a really good Manhattan and the lobby is very relaxing. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I am certainly pleased to see you enjoyed our newly renovated Drum Room lounge. The location of the hotel just cant be beat if you are coming to downtown Kansas City. We look forward to seeing you in the future, thanks again for your time!

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
OKC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Good : Decor, cleanliness, great staff, wonderful lobby, Quiet solid walls/floors, great bed, upscale atmosphere, Drum Room, location.

The bad: Valet unorganized/hard to figure out, front desk confusion, shower water pressure.

The ugly: Shower drain.

This is a WONDERFUL hotel and we had a great time! The decor is absolutely beautiful and you will feel like you are back in time 70 years. The hotel is wonderfully maintained and much is original in the way of moldings and woodwork. The hotel was full both nights we were there, and we never heard a peep from guests in the surrounding or above/below rooms. No creaking in the nicely decorated hallways, no "old building" smell like in some historical hotels. The location is perfect for downtown business, or pleasure in the power and light district or crown plaza area, all in walking distance. The staff were all professional and very helpful. The Drum Room is an outstanding place to socialize and meet guests for drinks. I loved the history of the room while drinking a few. The on site Starbucks was nice, and helped me out above and beyond when I needed some extra utensils for the room.

The valet can be hard to figure out. At times there was no one there and we had to stand outside on the sidewalk and wait for someone to show up. One time we returned at 1am and had to leave our vehicle and get the front desk to hunt the valet down. Once present, valet was always polite and courteous, fast and efficient. For $18/day, the valet should be seamless. When we checked in, I asked if my HH upgrade request had been accepted, and she said "yes sir, you have been upgraded". We were excited about the upgrade, only to get to our non upgraded room. No big deal, but sucked to be expecting something and to be disappointed like that because the desk was confused. Water pressure in the shower was really low, but we did not mind as we know this comes with the historical hotel territory.

Our shower drain was completely clogged. The shower quickly filled with water. We called the desk, left for four hours, and problem had been resolved when we returned, no more problems.

Room Tip: There is no pool at this hotel, but the fitness room is large and nicely appointed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thanks so much for the wonderful review of your visit to our hotel. When the renovation took place a few years back it was complete and comprehensive. The building was taken back to floors and exterior walls only, and the renovation took place, thus the feeling of a new hotel, yet at the same time paying tribute to the hotel's wonderful historic past. We hope others that read your review take the time to stop by, stay, and enjoy this treasure of Kansas City history.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We live close by and I had been to this hotel several times to do hair and makeup for wedding parties. I had never dealt with service, staff, rooms, etc. so wasn't sure what to expect but knew that I loved the hotel itself. I was glad that we picked this hotel for the first night of our staycation and wish that we would have picked it for both nights vs. staying the other night at a hotel nearby that didn't live up to everything that I wanted it to.

After reading reviews I decided to ask for a higher up floor on the SE corner so that we could view the Power and Light District lights. This was a great decision. We were placed in that area and could not have been more happy with our room. We stayed in room 702, if I am correct. The room was beautiful, the views were fantastic and we were truly happy with every part of it. There was a concert going on that evening at The Midland as well as a basketball tournament at The Sprint Center. We were never bothered with noise. The bed was comfortable, bathroom spacious, shower fine, fan in bathroom is motion detected...stays on for a very short time and didn't bother us at all. The noise in bathroom is not noticeable in bedroom at all. Wi-fi...we could not access at all. It is free, which we totally appreciated...but couldn't use because we couldn't find the host.

When we arrived at the hotel we had plans of parking in the garage as I have had issues with slow valet when doing weddings. Nick, who was overseeing valet, was there when we arrived and told us that he would take care of us...so we opted to valet as it is just $2 more (plus tip). Nick was great. Very nice and assuring. When we did get the car the next day, Nick was there and did just as he promised. I hope that this continues as it is absolutely worth it to valet when they are quick and also careful. I do wish that they would not charge at all for parking their guests...but it is what it is. I wish that they would consider this though as they still would get many to valet.

We loved the location of the hotel as we were able to walk to dinner and then to drinks afterwards.

We will definitely return soon. This is a gem in KC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thanks much for the great review, we think the hotel is a "gem" too!
Sorry you had some wifi issues, point taken, and we are working on that. Your review was very detailed, I am sure other potential visitors will take notice of the benefits of staying at our hotel! Thanks again for your time.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Good location for KU fans to stay for games at Sprint Center. Only complaint is bad Wi-Fi service (AT&T). Otherwise, rooms are nice and quiet. Easy walking distance to Sprint Center. Beds are good. We would stay here again anytime we are in KC.

• Stayed December 2012
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thanks for the review of our hotel. Certainly pleased you enjoyed the hotel and the proximity to the Sprint Center (we are indeed the closest hotel) Apologies for the internet service. During the first quarter of 2013 we are completing an entire upgrade of our internet and related services, you will see marked improvement. Look forward to having you back...and...Rock Chalk!
Des Moines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I wrote a review back in 2008 after my first stay at the Hilton President. I still love this place after several more stays. Hotel was sold out with the Springsteen concert right down the road, yet the service was still great. I called on my way into town to see if I could check in early, no problem. When I found out my room faced the P&L district, again, no problem changing to the front of the hotel. The front desk could not have been more polite. Valet was very nice and even directed me to a local store within walking distance. Again, when I needed a spoon and asked someone, they went down to the restaurant and got one for me. Everyone was happy to help. The hotel was sold out, staff could have been grumpy and rude but they were very polite. I've been to several less busy hotels with terrible customer service.

With it's location to the Power and Light District, Sprint Center and downtown, plus great service and beautiful hotel, it's safe to say I will return again when I visit KC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review of our hotel. Although the hotel itself is a beauty or staff of hospitality professionals is what sets us apart from any hotel in the area. I am so pleased you were able to enjoy the hotel. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel was perfect for my weekend getaway with friends. We were visiting from Nebraska for a trip to party and shop around. The location is right downtown in the power and lights district so its real easy to get to bars and entertainment. it also is very close to the interstates to get around the city quickly. parking was in a covered garage right behind the hotel with easy access and it does offer in-and-out privilege. There was a wedding party one night when we got in late so we almost had to park on the street but eventually found a spot. The room was very nice and clean, the bathroom was bigger than what i expected and also very clean. They gave us a free upgrade to an upper floor corner room so we had two walls of windows with a good view which was great. I would recommend this hotel for anyone older, not really for kids. The hotel seemed to be more for the business type person, couple, or friends, not so much for families.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for the wonderful review of our hotel. As the only hotel in the Power and Light Entertainment District it certainly is easy to get around and enjoy the benefits. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I would say this place is average at best. I was in town for a concert at the Sprint Center and the location of the hotel is fantastic if going to the Sprint Center. The room itself was pretty small and nothing really special.
The worst part of the room (Room 317) was the shower. The water pressure was horrible. I have never taken a shower with less water pressure. Also, the water was coming out in a weird pulsating way to make things even more annoying. In all the hotels I have ever stayed at, this shower was the absolute worst I have ever been in. I took a shower when I got back home because I felt like Morty Seinfeld when they put in low flow shower heads in Jerry's apartment...I would have complained to the staff, but we were leaving and I didn't really feel like it.
Staff was friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Well, that certainly is not the kind of review we like to see! I am terribly sorry there were some water pressure issues during your visit. We will go back and visit the room to see if we can replicate the issue or if it was a one time event. Either way...sorry...

Been to Hilton President Kansas City? Share your experiences!