“KU Sprint Center” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“KU Sprint Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Good location for KU fans to stay for games at Sprint Center. Only complaint is bad Wi-Fi service (AT&T). Otherwise, rooms are nice and quiet. Easy walking distance to Sprint Center. Beds are good. We would stay here again anytime we are in KC.

• Stayed December 2012
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thanks for the review of our hotel. Certainly pleased you enjoyed the hotel and the proximity to the Sprint Center (we are indeed the closest hotel) Apologies for the internet service. During the first quarter of 2013 we are completing an entire upgrade of our internet and related services, you will see marked improvement. Look forward to having you back...and...Rock Chalk!

538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Des Moines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I wrote a review back in 2008 after my first stay at the Hilton President. I still love this place after several more stays. Hotel was sold out with the Springsteen concert right down the road, yet the service was still great. I called on my way into town to see if I could check in early, no problem. When I found out my room faced the P&L district, again, no problem changing to the front of the hotel. The front desk could not have been more polite. Valet was very nice and even directed me to a local store within walking distance. Again, when I needed a spoon and asked someone, they went down to the restaurant and got one for me. Everyone was happy to help. The hotel was sold out, staff could have been grumpy and rude but they were very polite. I've been to several less busy hotels with terrible customer service.

With it's location to the Power and Light District, Sprint Center and downtown, plus great service and beautiful hotel, it's safe to say I will return again when I visit KC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review of our hotel. Although the hotel itself is a beauty or staff of hospitality professionals is what sets us apart from any hotel in the area. I am so pleased you were able to enjoy the hotel. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel was perfect for my weekend getaway with friends. We were visiting from Nebraska for a trip to party and shop around. The location is right downtown in the power and lights district so its real easy to get to bars and entertainment. it also is very close to the interstates to get around the city quickly. parking was in a covered garage right behind the hotel with easy access and it does offer in-and-out privilege. There was a wedding party one night when we got in late so we almost had to park on the street but eventually found a spot. The room was very nice and clean, the bathroom was bigger than what i expected and also very clean. They gave us a free upgrade to an upper floor corner room so we had two walls of windows with a good view which was great. I would recommend this hotel for anyone older, not really for kids. The hotel seemed to be more for the business type person, couple, or friends, not so much for families.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for the wonderful review of our hotel. As the only hotel in the Power and Light Entertainment District it certainly is easy to get around and enjoy the benefits. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I would say this place is average at best. I was in town for a concert at the Sprint Center and the location of the hotel is fantastic if going to the Sprint Center. The room itself was pretty small and nothing really special.
The worst part of the room (Room 317) was the shower. The water pressure was horrible. I have never taken a shower with less water pressure. Also, the water was coming out in a weird pulsating way to make things even more annoying. In all the hotels I have ever stayed at, this shower was the absolute worst I have ever been in. I took a shower when I got back home because I felt like Morty Seinfeld when they put in low flow shower heads in Jerry's apartment...I would have complained to the staff, but we were leaving and I didn't really feel like it.
Staff was friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Well, that certainly is not the kind of review we like to see! I am terribly sorry there were some water pressure issues during your visit. We will go back and visit the room to see if we can replicate the issue or if it was a one time event. Either way...sorry...
Zimbab
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Maria, Supervisor at the Front Desk was most excellent!! I had booked a 1 King Bed 1 Bedroom Suite for a two night stay. Upon arrival, I was sent to the 13th Floor to my Suite. Bad news... what was on the Hilton web site for 1 King Bed 1 Bedroom Suite picture was not what I got..... "one" wee little window 2X2 way up high.....no big city views! Miss Maria fixed the situation pronto and I was most pleased and had a very happy stay!

Room Tip: Ask to talk to Miss Maria! She knows her hotel!! She aims to please the customer with most excelle...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review. Maria is indeed one of our true hospitality professionals here at the President. It is very kind you have taken the time to recognize her efforts! Thanks again for your time and we will make sure Maria is aware of your kind words.
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel looks old, but that is because they renovated an older property. The lobby is open and crowded at the same time. There are lots of plush chairs and sofas for visiting. There’s a player piano, which was playing way too loud. The staff were willing to lower the volume. Check in went quick, but my HHonors number was not tied into my reservation, despite me doing that online. Even though there are three (small) elevators, it can take a while for one to arrive.

The room was fairly good-sized, but looks old--again owing to trying to keep its historical look. The bed was comfortable and traffic noise was hardly noticeable, even with I-670 only a half block away. There was a desk with office chair, an upholstered chair with Ottoman, and a TV on a chest of drawers. The bathroom was quite large with plenty of counter space. Oddly, they removed the shower doors (and put in a curtain) but left the shower door frame in place. The shower water pressure was fairly low. The fan comes on automatically when it senses movement by the toilet and then stays on for 15 minutes. I wanted to make the time less, but you can’t control it.

Unfortunately, there’s no power outlet on the outside wall. There wasn’t enough light to read while sitting in the chair, but the desk lamp was able to reach over to the table next to the chair, though the cord had to hang in the air. It was still a bit dim, since one of the bulbs had burned out, but I was able to cannibalize a bulb from one of the end table lamps to get enough light to read by.

When I got out of the shower on that first morning, I noticed a used towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door. When I first came in the room, I noticed that the bathroom wastebasket was partially blocking the doorway and there was a large food crumb in front of the chair, so housekeeping must have rushed through the room. The hotel was close to my conference, but I wouldn’t stay here again. I really prefer modern-looking properties.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to conduct such a detailed review. The hotel is indeed a historic hotel, and we have gone to great lengths to preserve the detail and the heritage of the President. We would like to think we would appeal to any traveller, but it seems that you did not find the hotel entirely to your liking. I am certainly pleased you pointed out the details you did enjoy, and overall it appears you had a nice visit.
Columbia, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My sister and I enjoyed our stay while we attended the Women of Faith conference. We arrived early and was simply going to ask to leave our luggage and the desk clerk said she could go ahead and check us in, no problem. Wow, that was the beginning of a great stay. The staff are very helpful and very friendly. Our room was cleaned to perfection. I loved the historic feel and charm of the old building. Parking was a breeze! The hotel is located in the Power and Light District so we had plenty of choices for dining and we could walk just a few blocks to the Sprint Center for the conference. We saw the same desk clerk on our check out, she was great. Our stay could not have been better, well maybe if it had been longer!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thanks for the very thoughtful review of our hotel. We enjoy having the Women of Faith event each year in Kansas City, and I am so pleased you chose our hotel! You noted some of the items that seperate us from the other hotels in the area. Location, service and quality of product just to name a few.
We certainly look forward to having you back to visit soon!

Been to Hilton President Kansas City? Share your experiences!