“Average - Horrible Shower” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast, Parking & WiFi
Ranked #20 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Iowa
“Average - Horrible Shower”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I would say this place is average at best. I was in town for a concert at the Sprint Center and the location of the hotel is fantastic if going to the Sprint Center. The room itself was pretty small and nothing really special.
The worst part of the room (Room 317) was the shower. The water pressure was horrible. I have never taken a shower with less water pressure. Also, the water was coming out in a weird pulsating way to make things even more annoying. In all the hotels I have ever stayed at, this shower was the absolute worst I have ever been in. I took a shower when I got back home because I felt like Morty Seinfeld when they put in low flow shower heads in Jerry's apartment...I would have complained to the staff, but we were leaving and I didn't really feel like it.
Staff was friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Well, that certainly is not the kind of review we like to see! I am terribly sorry there were some water pressure issues during your visit. We will go back and visit the room to see if we can replicate the issue or if it was a one time event. Either way...sorry...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Zimbab
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Maria, Supervisor at the Front Desk was most excellent!! I had booked a 1 King Bed 1 Bedroom Suite for a two night stay. Upon arrival, I was sent to the 13th Floor to my Suite. Bad news... what was on the Hilton web site for 1 King Bed 1 Bedroom Suite picture was not what I got..... "one" wee little window 2X2 way up high.....no big city views! Miss Maria fixed the situation pronto and I was most pleased and had a very happy stay!

Room Tip: Ask to talk to Miss Maria! She knows her hotel!! She aims to please the customer with most excelle...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review. Maria is indeed one of our true hospitality professionals here at the President. It is very kind you have taken the time to recognize her efforts! Thanks again for your time and we will make sure Maria is aware of your kind words.
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel looks old, but that is because they renovated an older property. The lobby is open and crowded at the same time. There are lots of plush chairs and sofas for visiting. There’s a player piano, which was playing way too loud. The staff were willing to lower the volume. Check in went quick, but my HHonors number was not tied into my reservation, despite me doing that online. Even though there are three (small) elevators, it can take a while for one to arrive.

The room was fairly good-sized, but looks old--again owing to trying to keep its historical look. The bed was comfortable and traffic noise was hardly noticeable, even with I-670 only a half block away. There was a desk with office chair, an upholstered chair with Ottoman, and a TV on a chest of drawers. The bathroom was quite large with plenty of counter space. Oddly, they removed the shower doors (and put in a curtain) but left the shower door frame in place. The shower water pressure was fairly low. The fan comes on automatically when it senses movement by the toilet and then stays on for 15 minutes. I wanted to make the time less, but you can’t control it.

Unfortunately, there’s no power outlet on the outside wall. There wasn’t enough light to read while sitting in the chair, but the desk lamp was able to reach over to the table next to the chair, though the cord had to hang in the air. It was still a bit dim, since one of the bulbs had burned out, but I was able to cannibalize a bulb from one of the end table lamps to get enough light to read by.

When I got out of the shower on that first morning, I noticed a used towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door. When I first came in the room, I noticed that the bathroom wastebasket was partially blocking the doorway and there was a large food crumb in front of the chair, so housekeeping must have rushed through the room. The hotel was close to my conference, but I wouldn’t stay here again. I really prefer modern-looking properties.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to conduct such a detailed review. The hotel is indeed a historic hotel, and we have gone to great lengths to preserve the detail and the heritage of the President. We would like to think we would appeal to any traveller, but it seems that you did not find the hotel entirely to your liking. I am certainly pleased you pointed out the details you did enjoy, and overall it appears you had a nice visit.
Columbia, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My sister and I enjoyed our stay while we attended the Women of Faith conference. We arrived early and was simply going to ask to leave our luggage and the desk clerk said she could go ahead and check us in, no problem. Wow, that was the beginning of a great stay. The staff are very helpful and very friendly. Our room was cleaned to perfection. I loved the historic feel and charm of the old building. Parking was a breeze! The hotel is located in the Power and Light District so we had plenty of choices for dining and we could walk just a few blocks to the Sprint Center for the conference. We saw the same desk clerk on our check out, she was great. Our stay could not have been better, well maybe if it had been longer!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thanks for the very thoughtful review of our hotel. We enjoy having the Women of Faith event each year in Kansas City, and I am so pleased you chose our hotel! You noted some of the items that seperate us from the other hotels in the area. Location, service and quality of product just to name a few.
We certainly look forward to having you back to visit soon!
Bettendorf, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Costs of everything goes up, but what makes your stay at this hotel superior to others is the staff. The beauty of this 1926 restored landmark is second to the quality of personnel that supports a guest's visit. From the doormen to the desk clerks to the wait staff and cooks in the excellent dining establishments (Starbucks, Walnut Room and the new Providence).
Customer service is definitely their goal!
We stayed there for a family wedding. They were able to accommodate our families and provide a fair price for the rooms. I would highly recommend staying there or holding an event in any of their conference or ball rooms.

• Stayed November 2012
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review, there is no higher compliment than recognition of our hospitality professionals. They take great pride in delivering the best service in Kansas CIty, and at the same time pride in this wonderful historic building. We look forward to seeing you again at The President!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was very busy when I stayed there but the staff was helpful, prompt and pleasant. Will use this hotel for future events that I will attend. Had a wonderful stay, wish I could stay longer. I liked the convenience of the different restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for the kind and brief review of our hotel. I am pleased you found the location and room to your liking. However the most important part of your review is the kind recognition of our staff. They work so terribly hard to provide the finest guest experience in the city. Thank you for your time and kind words.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a good hotel for business travelers. Staff was excellent and very attentive and location in downtown KCMO in the Power & Light District was great. The hotel has a small, but adequate, workout room. It has no wet area, pool, or sauna. Probably not the best choice for families. Also, for an older hotel, the lighting was great. One small item, as I was going to bed I discovery I forgot my contact case. Unfortuately, the hotel staff was not very helpful and the hotel did not even sell contact cases in the gift shop. I have seen much smaller, and less luxurious hotels have this item. They should stock the gift shop with some basic essentials. Otherwise, it was a nice hotel for the business traveler.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thanks for taking a moment to share your thoughts about your visit. A very kind review indeed. I am sorry we could not assit better with your contacts situation, and we will use this bit of information to see if we can make some slight improvements in our gift shop areas. Look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Been to Hilton President Kansas City? Share your experiences!