“The favourite hotel in our 5 week trip” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast, Parking & WiFi
Ranked #22 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“The favourite hotel in our 5 week trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We chose the Hilton president for it's downtown location, staying two nights in a "Junior Suite".
The hotel is a 100 years old and has been sympathetically restored and updated, retaining its original character.
Reception was very good, friendly and helpful, provided us with maps and guides. Car parking was convenient just behind the hotel (we chose to self-park) with lots of space. Our room, a corner "Junior Suite" on the 8th floor was large, well furnished with seating area, big desk, and big windows on two sides. We were delighted with the room and slept well both nights. (Just one disappointment, no fridge but a minor point.) The room had wired ethernet as well as Wifi.
Breakfast was included in our room deal and the buffet was excellent, with freshly made omelettes and a good choice of cold foods and pastries and good service.
The joy of the hotel is that it also has a very good bar, The Drum Room, frequented not just by guests, and an excellent, newly opened restaurant, the Providence. We ate there both nights and the food was interesting, the service excellent and knowledgeable and the room comfortable, well lit and with well spaced tables and booths.
For us the President was exactly what a hotel should be, the complete home from home.

Room Tip: We were delighted with the space and light in our 8th floor "Junior Suite" - one big room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
What a wonderful review! It is always nice to hear from our international visitors as you have a different take on hospitality than many of our domestic visitors. I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel, and the compliment of being your favorite hotel in five weeks is such a nice compliment! Hopefully you make it to the area again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here while attending an event at the Sprint Center. Within easy walking distance of the arena (3 blocks). Plenty of eating and drinking establishments nearby. The hotel is a restored facility. The rooms are on the small side, but still plenty of room. Wi fi included but parking is extra. Hallways were noisy at times at night. Staff was friendly and efficient. I did not go to the hotel restaurant or bar, but seemed busy. Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room well away from the elevator
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the kind review of your visit to our hotel. We are indeed the only hotel in the Power and Light Entertinment DIstrict. Many of our visitors find the charm and location of the hotel the finest in the city. We certainly look forward to your return visit!
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This centrally located hotel in the "Power and Light" entertainment district of downtown Kansas City is a gem. Built around 1926, it was tastefully restored in 2006 and is an excellent place to stay. The junior suite we had was spacious and nicely decorated. Bathrooms are relatively small but immaculate. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: The junior suites are a good value.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thanks so much for the kind review, I am pleased you noted the cleanliness of your room, our housekeeping department takes a great deal of pride in their work. We would love to see you again in the future!
Decatur, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I had valet park my vehicle and the next morning they brought it back with a scratch. It looked like the valet guy scraped it against a concrete column. It was my word against theirs and it cost me $1,112 to pay Alamo. So my advice it to take a video of your vehicle as the valet gets in your vehicle. I had been trying to get SOME KIND of compensation but the manager is dodging my calls and not responding to my emails.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Unfortunately we have no record of this ever happening, maybe you are confusing us with a different hotel? We have no record of this ever reported to management, or any calls to management about damage to a car. If this had happened here we would have addressed and had a remedy immediately.
Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

A beautiful old hotel that has been updated. We were on the mezzanine floor facing the alley and had minimal outside noise. The lobby was beautiful. The breakfast buffet in the Walnut room was excellent and reasonably priced. It is a short 3 blocks to the Sprint Center. The customer service was excellent, friendly helpful staff. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not get an adjoining room unless you have friends or family in the adjoining room as the doors ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks so much for the wonderful review of our hotel. As the only hotel in the Power and Light Entertainment District, it certainly is the hotel in the center of the action. We look forward to your return visit!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

First off let me say that while I type this review I'm on the phone with Hilton Customer Service, which is awful. I've been put on hold 5 times and they can't figure out where my Hilton Honors number went and we now don't get credit for the stay on my account, but my husbands account for this last experience.

The first thing we noticed upon entering the room was the odd smell. It changed as the day and night went on but smelled as if we were part of the restaurants ventilation system. I distinctly remember asking my husband if he smelled onions at one point.

The toilet in the bathroom would make a refilling noise every 60-75 seconds as I began to count the time when I couldn’t sleep due to the noise levels. The automatic fan would also kick on every time we even remotely moved near the toilet or shower and stay on for a while, which was a bit annoying.

The noise level on the street was so loud that we thought there were people in the hallway talking loudly. We didn’t pay any attention at the time because it was daytime and we were about to head out for dinner and shopping. When we got to bed though we noticed that we could hear ANY loud talking at street level. It was as if everything was magnified and the windows were so thin that I actually thought that there might be an open window. There were people fighting and I had to call down to the main desk after about 10 minutes to ask that they step outside to quiet the fighting couple down. As the night progressed I could hear the people leaving the bars, every car door slam and even spent time counting how many beeps I would hear when the car doors were unlocked and locked where you could pull up in front of the hotel.
To add insult to injury the trash truck came by at 6am and we were through with attempting to sleep after that.

We ended up going for breakfast and deciding to change hotels, opting for the Marriot, unless we were put in a different room. The hotel obliged and put us on a higher floor and said they couldn’t control what went out outside.

I was really- really disappointed with that answer. You become familiar with your job and your rooms and if you know that a room is particularly loud due to its location then use the room as a last resort. Put in better windows. Do what you need to do- but don’t put people in it and then act as if there were nothing you could do. What was security doing during the 10 minutes of fighting outside? Could they not have stepped out sooner? At a minimum fix the toilet and figure out why it smells so awful!

Instead of my husband and I enjoying a long day outside exploring we ended up moving into a different room and attempting to take a nap. We wasted half of our day trying to sleep because of the noise level of the first room. What a waste of a weekend getaway!

The tenth story room was fine other then the shower being clogged and not draining properly. It’s a bit gross when it happens at home, let alone in a hotel. The noise level was completely acceptable on this floor.

I expected better and was grossly disappointed.

Room Tip: Sleep on the highest floor possible!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thanks for taking a moment to share your thoughts about your visit to our hotel. So terribly sorry about the issues. As you see by the multiple reviews before yours these issues just don't surface at our hotel. Although we strive for perfection some times we miss the mark, and in this case that certainly seems to be the case. I will be in touch with you through traditional methods, and we will naturally address these issues with our senor staff. It's simply unacceptable. Sorry.
Philip
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm and KC local, so occasionally for fun my husband and I stay at the President for a date. We even spent our wedding night here. Everyone that works there is very professional and nice. We always request a south east corner view on a higher floor (you can see the Power and Light District). Beds are comfy, room service is tasty, I have no real complaints. If I had to complain, it would be parking. They have parking available, but sometimes it gets filled and you have to park across the street. But that's pretty common for downtown KC....
Oh, before I forget... did I mention that the interior of the building is just GORGEOUS!

Room Tip: South East corner rooms are my favorite.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
What a flattering review of our hotel! We are so pleased you enjoyed the hotel, location and the downtown area. As you pointed out in your review our renovation was meticulous and addressed every detail. I will certainly make sure the team sees your comments as well; it is always nice to read recognition about the efforts of the entire team. We look forward to seeing you at our hotel again!

Been to Hilton President Kansas City? Share your experiences!