“Great place to stay in the Power & Light District” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast, Parking & WiFi
Ranked #20 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nebraska
“Great place to stay in the Power & Light District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

A beautiful old hotel that has been updated. We were on the mezzanine floor facing the alley and had minimal outside noise. The lobby was beautiful. The breakfast buffet in the Walnut room was excellent and reasonably priced. It is a short 3 blocks to the Sprint Center. The customer service was excellent, friendly helpful staff. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not get an adjoining room unless you have friends or family in the adjoining room as the doors ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thanks so much for the wonderful review of our hotel. As the only hotel in the Power and Light Entertainment District, it certainly is the hotel in the center of the action. We look forward to your return visit!

513 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

First off let me say that while I type this review I'm on the phone with Hilton Customer Service, which is awful. I've been put on hold 5 times and they can't figure out where my Hilton Honors number went and we now don't get credit for the stay on my account, but my husbands account for this last experience.

The first thing we noticed upon entering the room was the odd smell. It changed as the day and night went on but smelled as if we were part of the restaurants ventilation system. I distinctly remember asking my husband if he smelled onions at one point.

The toilet in the bathroom would make a refilling noise every 60-75 seconds as I began to count the time when I couldn’t sleep due to the noise levels. The automatic fan would also kick on every time we even remotely moved near the toilet or shower and stay on for a while, which was a bit annoying.

The noise level on the street was so loud that we thought there were people in the hallway talking loudly. We didn’t pay any attention at the time because it was daytime and we were about to head out for dinner and shopping. When we got to bed though we noticed that we could hear ANY loud talking at street level. It was as if everything was magnified and the windows were so thin that I actually thought that there might be an open window. There were people fighting and I had to call down to the main desk after about 10 minutes to ask that they step outside to quiet the fighting couple down. As the night progressed I could hear the people leaving the bars, every car door slam and even spent time counting how many beeps I would hear when the car doors were unlocked and locked where you could pull up in front of the hotel.
To add insult to injury the trash truck came by at 6am and we were through with attempting to sleep after that.

We ended up going for breakfast and deciding to change hotels, opting for the Marriot, unless we were put in a different room. The hotel obliged and put us on a higher floor and said they couldn’t control what went out outside.

I was really- really disappointed with that answer. You become familiar with your job and your rooms and if you know that a room is particularly loud due to its location then use the room as a last resort. Put in better windows. Do what you need to do- but don’t put people in it and then act as if there were nothing you could do. What was security doing during the 10 minutes of fighting outside? Could they not have stepped out sooner? At a minimum fix the toilet and figure out why it smells so awful!

Instead of my husband and I enjoying a long day outside exploring we ended up moving into a different room and attempting to take a nap. We wasted half of our day trying to sleep because of the noise level of the first room. What a waste of a weekend getaway!

The tenth story room was fine other then the shower being clogged and not draining properly. It’s a bit gross when it happens at home, let alone in a hotel. The noise level was completely acceptable on this floor.

I expected better and was grossly disappointed.

Room Tip: Sleep on the highest floor possible!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thanks for taking a moment to share your thoughts about your visit to our hotel. So terribly sorry about the issues. As you see by the multiple reviews before yours these issues just don't surface at our hotel. Although we strive for perfection some times we miss the mark, and in this case that certainly seems to be the case. I will be in touch with you through traditional methods, and we will naturally address these issues with our senor staff. It's simply unacceptable. Sorry.
Philip
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm and KC local, so occasionally for fun my husband and I stay at the President for a date. We even spent our wedding night here. Everyone that works there is very professional and nice. We always request a south east corner view on a higher floor (you can see the Power and Light District). Beds are comfy, room service is tasty, I have no real complaints. If I had to complain, it would be parking. They have parking available, but sometimes it gets filled and you have to park across the street. But that's pretty common for downtown KC....
Oh, before I forget... did I mention that the interior of the building is just GORGEOUS!

Room Tip: South East corner rooms are my favorite.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
What a flattering review of our hotel! We are so pleased you enjoyed the hotel, location and the downtown area. As you pointed out in your review our renovation was meticulous and addressed every detail. I will certainly make sure the team sees your comments as well; it is always nice to read recognition about the efforts of the entire team. We look forward to seeing you at our hotel again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Centrally located historic hotel with nostalgic feel but modernized to current standards. Lobby looks like you have walked into an old movie. Elevators are antiques but deliver you to your current day room.

• Stayed September 2012
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Location-location-location. Your review perfectly sums up one of our most appealing features. Your review was short but to the point and will help future guests decide on a hotel based on their location desires.
Thanks for taking the time to write a few words about our hotel!
the Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Any time a grand, historic hotel is restored to its former glory, I am happy to give that hotel my business. Driving up from the south, you will see the original "PRESIDENT" sign on top of the building. (You can also see it in this historic photo from KC Public Library: http://tinyurl.com/ct42253)

Just by walking into the lobby of the Hilton President, you can absorb the feeling of what it was like in KC in the 1930s. I was delighted to see this hotel still using he wooden cubbyholes behind the check-in desk for messages and letters for guests. The Walnut Room has distinctive wood pillars, recognizable in this historic photo: http://tinyurl.com/cqdwcxq

When I was making my reservation on the Hilton website, it was hard to decide between a regular King room or a junior suite. I finally decided upon a regular room, and as soon as I hit "submit" I got the message "Would you like to upgrade to a junior suite for only $19?" That was less than the original price quoted, but it would be based only on availability at check-in. So you take your chances. I went for it and because I was staying on a night when occupancy was low, I got the corner Room 1110, which has a great view of the four decorative pylons of the Bartle Convention Center out the west windows, and of the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts (reminiscent of the Sydney Opera House) out the south windows. I am pretty sure that the pylons are only visible from the southwest corner rooms.

The 11th floor might be the highest you can get without getting one of the extremely fancy suites. Just a guess though. If you are offered a special corner room or a high level room for a small extra charge, remember that it's only a 13-storey hotel so you are not exactly going to get the skyscraper experience here. But the corner room could be nice if you would like to enjoy gazing at those pylons when they are lit at night. This is a U-shaped building and some windows will only view other windows the inside of the "U."

The Hilton website may have specials and offers so be sure to check it, and/or the Kansas City Visitors Bureau which tends to have a pretty extensive list of hotel specials. I got what Hilton calls the "Kitchen Sink" package which included wifi, parking and breakfast at a pretty good rate.

If you select this hotel because you love history, I have a couple of recommendations. Just a half block east is the Mainstreet theater, open and functioning again after a 25 million dollar renovation three years ago. It used to be called the Empire Theater... OK I can't resist - see one more historic image here: http://tinyurl.com/cwapdys

Finally, about six blocks north of the hotel is the Kansas City Public Library main branch, housed in a fabulously restored glorious old bank building, where at the top floor you'll find the sumptuously decorated Missouri Valley Special Collections room. This is where they keep info about KC history -- Plus! There is a small, early-1900s style, red-velvet curtained movie theater located INSIDE the bank's original vault! You actually walk through the vault door to enter. Movies are shown there on a regular basis.

Choose the President Hotel and enjoy your trip through history!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Without question that was one of the most comprehensive reviews I have seen about our hotel, I could not have summed it up better. You touched on everything that makes our hotel so special. The elagance, beauty, location and traveller tips. Just so pleased you took it all in.
Thanks for the wonderful review and if you are in the hotel again I would be happy to give you a behind the scenes tour that touches on some of historic details of the hotel.
Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This beautiful hotel is conveniently located on the edge of the Power and Light Entertainment District. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and helpful, from the front desk to the concierge to the valet. Check-in was very quick as was the valet, which was only $2 more than the general parking. The rooms were very typical Hilton with all the standard amenities; the bed was extremely comfortable and everything was clean and well-appointed. The breakfast buffet was also typical Hilton--good but not great, especially given the price. The hotel is walking distance to the P&L District. Despite the number of potential party-goers you would expect at this location, I never heard anyone in the hallways after hours.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thanks for the kind review of our hotel. I am pleased you found everything to your liking.
We always like to see recognition of our staff providing the service you would expect at a four diamond hotel.
We certainly look forward to your return visit to Kansas City and the Hilton President.
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very nice old Hotel. The lobby was beautiful, comfortable & spacious. The rooms were nice, clean and quiet. All the Hotel staff was very nice. I do have two complaints though. 1st, the television in our room would lock up when watching any HD station. I called the front desk twice, the 2nd call they sent up engineering. The problem was with the satellite system. It rained the whole time we were there & this effected the performance on their system, it could not be fixed according to their employee. 2nd - On Sunday morning we were all meeting (30 people) in the Walnut Room for the Breakfast buffet. The staff was totally overwhelmed. There was only 1 waitress assigned there for Breakfast. The Hotel appeared to be full, yet they only had 1 waitress for Breakfast. Very poor planning, they knew our group would be there that morning, wow!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so much for the very kind review, even in light of the issues in the Walnut Room at breakfast. It does indeed sound like the staff was overwhelmed that morning. We certainly can do better!
Some times the flow of our guests is hard to predict, especially at breakfast, but your review will help us improve our staffing models.
Thanks again for your time, and I am pleased you enjoyed your visit overall to our wonderful hotel!

Been to Hilton President Kansas City? Share your experiences!