“Excellent pulled pork” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Excellent pulled pork”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I loved the pulled pork. Some of the best I have ever eaten. DOn't let the run down atmosphere dissuade you. The food is worth every penny.

Visited May 2013

Kansas City, MO
“Best BBQ in KC!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I'm a Gates girl and always will be. I suggest you get the mixed plate. That way, you get a variety of meats. It comes with ribs, beef, ham (I pick turkey instead) fries, pickles and bread. The BBs (baked beans) are really good, too. As for the sauce, I go with the Sweet N Tangy. It's enough to feed 2 people. Gotta wash it down with strawberry pop!

For the newbie, don't be intimidated by the girls at the counter yelling at you. Just grab your tray and yell back your order. LOL

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Branson, Missouri
“What a joke.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Ever since I moved to KC all I've been told is how amazing Gates BBQ is. Now I don't trust any of those people anymore.
The ribs were fatty and crappy, just wack and boney.. wish I would have taken a picture. What a let down.

The turkey tasted good so I have nothing bad to say about it. But then I just got soft soggy old tasteless fries with it so big whoop.
(The cole slaw, potato salad, and whatever else in the cooler looked old, wet, and like it had been sitting there for weeks.)

Then.. no service at all??
I mean if you aren't gonna give me a soda machine to get my own refill then you better come give me more to drink!

In my opinion nothing sucks worse than trying to eat and then having to stop because you have no more delicious soda to wash down the fairly salty bbq sauce.

So. Basically. If I wasn't enjoying the heck out of the amazing company I had with my girl tonight, then I would have walked out.

The smartest thing they do here is make you pay up front lol!

In review: what a joke.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Gates BBQ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Honestly my overall trip to Gates was ok but didn't meet expectations. I have heard so much about Gates that I expected to be blown away by the taste, sadly to me it wasn't as good as what they make it out to be. The service was great and the food was hot, I just expected better. So i will just stick with my Stl Ribs lbs.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Topeka, Kansas
“Bad day for burnt ends?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Always get the burnt ends here when I am in KC
This time through musta been a bad day for burnt ends
1/3 fat is too much, 1/2 of the rest was tiny smush pieces unrecognizable as meat.
Will try again next time I'm passing through and can't take the time to go to Arthur Bryant's
I hope it was just a bad day because I have really enjoyed the burnt ends here in the past.

• Visited November 2013