“Good Food, Good Music - Horrendous Service!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 1,214 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Description: A unique Kansas City experience, BB's Lawnside BBQ has been the place where BBQ Meets the Blues for more than 20 years.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good Food, Good Music - Horrendous Service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

First we paid $5 cover to stand on a porch in the rain. The blues band was good, the food came after an extremely long wait and still no table available, so we ate standing. The BBQ was pretty good - not the greatest in KC but pretty good. Our waitress couldn't be bothered to bring us our drinks, or check on us or do anything resembling service in anyway - ever and it took us an hour and half after eating to find her to get the check paid. Just horrendous service - the worst I have ever had. Overall the BBQ was good but not worth the aggravation.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

KCMO
“Good atmosphere, OK food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

B.B.'s is located kind of out of the way on 85th Street, just east of Troost. I liked the look of the place, rustic, lots of pictures on the wall, and especially liked the outside deck. They have live music every night, although I ate at noon. For KC barbecue, they were just OK. I had the Big Walter’s Mixed Meat Sandwich. From the menu: "A hearty mix of chopped Beef, Ham, Turkey, Pulled Pork, Italian Sausage & Burnt Ends marinated in our own sweet BBQ sauce on a Big Sesame Seed Bun with Battered Fries & Pit Beans, 8.99." A decent price for a bbq sandwich, fries and beans. The sandwich was good, with a good mix of the meats listed, not too heavy on any one meat. The fries and beans left me flat. Battered fries sounds good but they tasted like wedges of plain baked potato and had a baked potato consistency. I really do wonder if they are baked instead of fried. The beans were kind of odd. Not the smokey bbq beans we are used to here. Tasted to me like they came out of a can with maybe some bbq sauce and chopped onion added.

I will likely give BB's another try or two to sample ribs and burnt ends. I might skip the sides though.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Menasha, Wisconsin, United States
“Loved the music - rib tips...not so much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My friend demanded we go to BB's to hear a local Blues Band - Trampled Under Foot. The band was powerful and soulful, the crowd was electric and the room was decorated with some of the best Blues and Music posters I have seen. After the first set, we decided to order. It took 3 times asking the waitress for menus, and another 20 minutes or so before she would stop to take our order. Yeah, the place was packed but her attitude wasn't suited for this kind of crowd. The order was delivered by one of the kitchen staff and by the time I was done trying to find enough of the rib tips that was edible and gave up, she came by and took the baskets. She didn't ask how the food was so I didn't tell her. It was obvious it didn't really matter to her. My friend's meal was delicious, juicy and tasty ribs. I guess I made the wrong choice. I will visit this place again, arrive earlier to get a better seat, order the ribs and hope that TUF is playing or if not, maybe Samantha Fish will be on stage. Regardless of my experience, this is a must visit in Kansas City. Support those that support live music!Q

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“A Kansas City Blues and BBQ Institution”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

BB's doesn't serve the best BBQ in KC but provides one of KC's best loved live blues venues. Seating is quirky, with picnic tables that force you to turn your body 90-degrees to watch a band. Side dishes are so-so. But there is beer and live music. A blue collar favorite.

Visited October 2012
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Mama Ray and BBQ what could be better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Awesome BBQ and great music by Mama Ray on Saturday's starting at 2pm. The 1/2 chicken dinner was awesome. Huge portion. The service was also excellent. A must do on a Saturday afternoon. No cover either.

• Visited April 2013