“Kansas City Cowboy Decor” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Golden Ox Restaurant and Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #408 of 1,214 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Steakhouse, Californian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 16th
Transit: The Twelfth Street Bus has a stop directly in front of the restaurant.
Los Angeles, California
“Kansas City Cowboy Decor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

It is decorated in 1950s cowboy images, so it's fun. Even the carpets have branding signs. Ordered grilled shrimp that were at the same time burned and uncooked with too strong a smoke flavor. Scotch and soda was ordered before I could ask for a brand of scotch, and the bar choice they made without me was poor. Steaks, their reputation is based on them, were Delmonico and Ribeye. One was ordered medium well, the other medium rare. Both came out exactly the same, roughly medium rare. The baked potato must have been not from yesterday but from yester-yesterday, with a blackened skin and deeply brown potato inside the skin, yellow cheese, sour cream, bacon all in little buckets were most unappealing. All in all, quite poor from start to end. Even the crackers wrapped in plastic were stale; by the time we tried them, we were not surprised.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Heaven on a plate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012 via mobile

We went with a group of 14 adults. We did have a reservation, but like with some restaurants where they set your tables up until you get there, golden ox did not. They had everything ready for us when we walked in the door. Waiter and waitress we had were amazing (sorry, can't remember their names)! Now, to the food! Talk about a piece of heaven! I ordered the prime rib with a baked potato. It came with choice of soup or salad-I'm usually a salad girl, but chose the soup of the day-lobster bisque. It was so delicious that I finished the entire bowl! When the main course arrived, my steak was the size of my plate!! My husband laughed at me and said that it was too much for me, since I'm only 120 lbs soaking wet! Any who, when I went to cut the steak, no knife was needed it just melted under my fork. I took one bite, and was hooked! I didn't even partake in any conversations, I just devoured my entire 12 oz prime rib, and didn't touch the potatoe! We had 3 drinks a piece(him beer, and me pineapple and Malibu), he got a ribeye and the total bill was a little over $90! I couldn't believe it! I'm ready to go back right now! Definitely worth the money!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Still the best steak in Kansas City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We returned for the 6th time and again the service and steak were great. We plan our trip from Virginia to Missouri with a night in KC before returning just so we can go to the Golden OX. Might not be the fanciest place, but the steak quality is very good and it is charbroiled over hardwood fires to your exact request.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, MO
“In the old stockyards.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This place is worth visiting. The steak is very good but the place is getting a little run down.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Steak But!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

This restaurant was the only place we were able to make last minute reservations on New Years Eve.
We had been to this restaurant a few times in the past and was never really disappointed in their food. Their steaks seem to be of high quality and the menu has not changed in years.
The decor has not changed in many years and still has the old dark paneling which gives the place a nice cozy feel.
Our Server was one of the best we have had there. She was extremely pleasant and seemed to come by our table just at the right time. Usually when we have gone there in the past, we get the same Male Server who had been there for years and is cranky and impatient.
My husband ordered the Rib Eye steak and said it was delicious. I ordered a filet and specifically asked for it to be "well done" and not even pink. I realize that I am a little unconventional when it comes to ordering beef but that is the only way I will eat it.
It took quite a while for us to get our food which was fine with us. The Server came by at least 3 times to tell us that our food would be coming out soon. She mentioned that since I wanted my steak well done, it was taking a while longer. No problem until I got my steak and bit into it, it was so bloody that it ran over to fill the whole plate. I, then reminded the Server that I wanted it to be well done. She apoligized to me and proceeded to take my plate. She took my steak plate and left my potatoe on the table. About 15 minutes later, she came back with the same piece of steak that I had taken a bite off of and placed it in front of me. The steak was well done but my potatoes were cold.
When the Server asked if the steak was ok, I told her it was cooked perfect now but I suggested that she tell the Cook not to put a steak on the grill that someone had already taken a bite off of. I then told her, that since it was my steak, I did not have a problem with it but other diners might have a huge problem with it.
We left the Server a great tip and left.
We will probably not frequent this restaurant again because of their lack of diligence regarding health issues.

• Visited January 2012