“Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Kansas City
3 attraction reviews
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

First of all I made the mistake and ordered the tickets online for my family to go. I was unable to go because of illness. After they processed my credit card it stated at the bottom that I had to be there with the credit card and ID to prove my identity. So I called the one number that was not even on the web sight and got voice mail heck. I talked to customer service for this number and it wasn't even for the aquarium. They told me that there was nobody to talk to me. So I called my bank to see if I could stop the payment. The bank told me that they could not guarantee that I would get my money back so I had to go just so that my $120.00 didn't go to waste. We get there and It took like a half of an hour to go through. Everything was geared to kids 10 and under all of the potentially cool things were way too small for a teen to go through little lone an adult. I did like how they decorated but this was not worth $20. Next time I'll drive to Omaha, NE to go to the zoo for $13. Their aquarium was much better and I could see the whole zoo for cheaper than 1 hour at this aquarium. I did like the fact that the monitored how many people they sent in at one time. This prevented congestion. This was defiantly was a one time place. It was only worth about $7.00.

Visited February 2013

Kansas City, Missouri
125 attraction reviews
“Small and disappointing for adults”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Kansas City has been talking about bringing an aquarium here for more than 30 years. And this was the best they could do? I didn’t expect the Monterey Bay (Calif.) Aquarium, Chicago’s Shedd Aquarium, or even Tulsa’s Oklahoma Aquarium, but this was a major disappointment. Believe it or not, I tried to like the place. I do like the shiny-new displays, the sense of ambiance and atmosphere they’ve created, and the fact that they are one of the few aquariums which display living examples of the funky-looking “guitar shark.” I politely listened to the staff member’s spiel about the various critters in the aquarium’s biggest central tank and she seemed pretty knowledgeable too. My favorite room was toward the end where there was a huge low-goldfish-bowl-shaped-display filled with rays, moray eels, and more and you could view it straight-on, from above, or through bubble-shaped windows behind it. It probably helped that we visited late in the day on a winter Sunday, so it really wasn’t very busy, we didn’t have to fight crowds, and we could stay in any one area as long as we liked. We stayed a little over an hour. My biggest complaints are that the place is relatively small and is overly kiddie-oriented (I’m in my late 40s and have no kids). I was also disappointed that there’s not much to the aquarium’s touch tank, which is near the beginning of the place. Just a few starfish and urchins, but no rays, sharks or limpets to touch. Then there was the whole incident of being accused by a staff member of sneaking in without a ticket. It’s not marked, but apparently, the aquarium is strictly a one-way zone. I got ahead of my wife and turned and walked the 20 feet or so back to where she was and the next thing I know a staff member is demanding to see my ticket. I complied and she accused me of having a ticket to LegoLand next door and sneaking in through the gift shop, which I didn’t even know was nearby. In the end, she admitted she read it wrong, especially since by their rules, adults without children can’t even get into LegoLand except on special occasions. So, Is it too late to let the fish go home and bring back the Hall’s store which filled the Crown Center space now occupied by Sea Life for more than 30 years? I won’t say I’ll never visit Sea Life again (especially if I happen across a deal), but if you want to see a much better aquarium in the Midwest, try the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. Yes, it’s a three-hour drive from KC, but it will keep you entertained for hours with much more to see and the per-person admission cost is less.

Visited December 2012
Caxias Do Sul, RS
74 attraction reviews
“A surprising experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We visited the Sea Life in a cold day this January and we gotreally surprised. The place is amazing, with lots os fish and sea animals. The kids love everything. it is a mus to see place.

Visited January 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
43 attraction reviews
“Neat, but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Ok, this may not be Shedd Aquarium, but its still a worthwhile attraction. The designers did a great job of finding ways to make the exhibits very "kid friendly." Many of the tanks are designed for kids to crawl into or otherwise participate in. The staff are friendly and informative, but firm about respecting the animals (something I applaud). One tank is designed for patrons to gently touch starfish and other creatures. The tour may feel a bit short considering the cost (nearly $60 for family of 3), but the exhibits are very well done and highly interactive.

Visited January 2013
Overland Park, Kansas
7 attraction reviews
“Was expecting more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The exhibits are great. There just wasn't enough for the money and the wait. Hopefully there will be some expansion as time goes by.

Visited August 2012