“Wonderful attention to detail” 5 of 5 stars

Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1111 Grand Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64106   |
Ranked #2 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Emporia, Kansas
“Wonderful attention to detail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We loved our spacious, beautifully appointed room. Very quiet, super cushy bed, enough rrom to dance!. Very friendly staff happy to answer any questions we had. This is everything we look for in a hotel. Complimentary transportation to nearby areas is a definite plus. Only down side - the view from the room isn't much, but everything else at this hotel is first rate. Breakfast in the restaurant was outstanding with great service. We look forward to trying dinner some time too.

Room Tip: We had a chance to peek in on the two story loft suites and they look beautiful, but even the standa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for this great review. We greatly appreciate when our guests take time to tell us what a wonderful time they had during their visit. I am happy you enjoyed our outstanding restaurant as well, I will be sure to tell the Chef! We hope you will stay with again next time you are in Kansas City.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The staff was second only to a staff at Disney. Each and every staff member went out of their way to make sure you enjoyed your stay.
When the bar didn't have a certain liquor they went out and bought it. When we had to stay an extra day because of a snow storm, the housekeeper put in extra towels and toiletries in case we had extra people in the room.
The lobby is inviting. Modern in decoration.
The room was nice and big. Bed was commfy. The bathroom had 2 sinks and a large walk-in shower. I would love to see the bathroom door moved so that just the shower and toilet were shut in and seperate from the sinks.
The food was good and it was one of the best cheeseburgers I ever had.
I will stay there again if ever backin the KC area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for posting this review about your experience at the Ambassador Kansas City. I am very happy that you had such a great visit, we are very proud of our staff and the service and attention to detail they provide. Our goal as a team is to provide a memorable experience for all of our guests each time they visit. We hope to have you stay with us again.
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was in KC for business and stayed at the Ambassador 4 nights. Our group had the entire hotel and it couldn't have been better. The staff was very accommodating and super friendly. When we ran into the housekeeper in the hall and told her we might be stuck here an extra night due to the incoming snow storm she made sure we had ample toiletries and extra towels. The room is great. Very roomy and all the furnishings and decor are new and modern. Loved the huge walk in shower!!! The bar had great food and its rare to see the Executive Chef taking orders, cooking the food and running the bar but they step in and do what ever it takes to make sure your experience is enjoyable.

The only down fall is there is not a vending machine in the hall and there were times at night I would have loved a snack or diet coke.

However, I would definitely stay here again and have already told lots of people about this charming, ultra chic hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for your nice review, we really enjoyed having your group stay with us last week. I will share your comments with the team, we are fortunate to have such a dedicated staff that as you said do what it take to make each guests stay enjoyable. I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Kansas City
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I chose this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and had a pleasant stay. The room was spacious comfortable, and clean and the bathroom well appointed. Everything was new and in good condition, which was great. The mini fridge, in room safe and bathrobes were a very nice touch. The rate was more affordable than other 4 star hotels in the area, where I had previously stayed and was disappointed. The free transportation within a five mile radius was a huge perk. The staff was friendly and the food was decent, from what I had.

The walls here are very thin. I could hear the gentleman in the next room's conversation as well as the program he was watching on tv. The fact that soundproofing was pretty poor made me feel like I had little privacy. In fact, this is the only hotel where I have encountered such poor soundproofing.

Also I found the service at the front desk a bit lacking. I was irritated that they did not inform me that they were reserving $100/ night on my card for incidentals, which seems a bit excessive. There does not seem to be a lot of staff, for instance no bellhop to assist with bags etc and they do not inform you that they close the front doors in the evening and you have to walk upstairs to gain access.

I did enjoy my stay overall and would have rated it excellent where it not for the soundproofing issues and lack of professionalism at the front desk. By far my most pleasant stay at a KC 4star hotel, thus far.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for review, we always appreciate any feedback we receive from our guests. I have addresses your comments with our front desk team, I can assure you this is not a typical experience for our guests. Please let me know next time you are in Kansas City, I would be happy to ensure your next visit is without incident.
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Pros: modern interior (think kimpton or w hotel), really big bathroom, good bar/restaurant, gated parking lot, free escalade shuttle, good service

Cons: slight smell in the lobby (didn't smell in rooms), mattress was really soft, bed was very shaky (I think there was a lose screw but too lazy/too late to call maintenance), slightly expensive room rate

this hotel reminds me a lot of a kimpton hotel. Pleasant surprise in KC. Can't comment on location since I was in town for one night. I would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed February 2013
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent visit. Please know I have shared your comments regarding the beds and the other issues you mentioned with my engineering and housekeeping teams. Thank you for your time and we hope you will return the next time you are in Kansas City.
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Here for 2 nights on business at the convention center. Smooth, friendly check-in, although would have appreciated a bit more detail on hotel amenities as a first-time guest. Large comfortable room (7th floor), was quiet and equipped with nice mini-fridge. Never did locate nearby vending but Cosentino's Grocery around the corner provided necessary supplies. WiFi reasonably fast and easy to connect with provided password, although you do have to click through waiver each sign-on. Very short walk to restaurants and bars. Lunch at hotel bar was reasonable with fair selection of bottled beer. HVAC in room was excellent with both heat and a/c very responsive to temperature setting. Bathroom well appointed with large granite shower. Overall, would highly recommend for either business or romance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, we always appreciate when our guests comments include recommending our hotel for both business and leisure. We do have an excellent location just a few blocks from the market and the Sprint Center as well. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you are able to return again someday soon.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was really impressed & enjoyed my stay here. I really think this is KC's best downtown hotel. The entry was beautiful- mixing the old architecture with the new trendy. I really liked the colors, furniture & design of this place overall- nice! The room decor is also impressive- it is chic, cozy, stylish & comfy. In my opinion, it was the perfect hotel room. I love the big bathrooms with large stone showers & great mirrors. Again, well done.
I ordered room service a few times during my stay & was continually impressed. Room service that is as good as the quality in the actual restaurant? Yes- here it was. Great quality food, different dishes (not the typical room service menu), and really fast too.
The staff was very responsive as well. When I checked in I requested a quiet room- I needed some restful sleep. When I got the the room there were people partying in the room (rooms?) next to me & around me. I just couldn't do it, so asked to move & they were happily accommodating. I moved to the last room available for the night only to get in to hear a couple being loud with their love making. At this point I knew there were no other rooms & assumed they could not last at that level for too long, so just put on ear phones. I really think that there must be some sound issues in the rooms, so that would be my only negative. Again, the staff was accommodating, but there is only so much they can do if the sound carries so strongly throughout the hotel walls.
The last nice thing that I will mention is that they offer a free valet service. It was a nice way to get across town & a nice addition to my stay.
The Ambassador will be first on my recommendation list to those coming to KC- well done!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for such a great review, I will be sure to share your nice comments with the entire team. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary car service, we look forward to seeing you again very soon

Been to Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City? Share your experiences!