“Lovely boutique hotel but soundproofing is lousy” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #2 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
New York City, New York
“Lovely boutique hotel but soundproofing is lousy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I chose this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and had a pleasant stay. The room was spacious comfortable, and clean and the bathroom well appointed. Everything was new and in good condition, which was great. The mini fridge, in room safe and bathrobes were a very nice touch. The rate was more affordable than other 4 star hotels in the area, where I had previously stayed and was disappointed. The free transportation within a five mile radius was a huge perk. The staff was friendly and the food was decent, from what I had.

The walls here are very thin. I could hear the gentleman in the next room's conversation as well as the program he was watching on tv. The fact that soundproofing was pretty poor made me feel like I had little privacy. In fact, this is the only hotel where I have encountered such poor soundproofing.

Also I found the service at the front desk a bit lacking. I was irritated that they did not inform me that they were reserving $100/ night on my card for incidentals, which seems a bit excessive. There does not seem to be a lot of staff, for instance no bellhop to assist with bags etc and they do not inform you that they close the front doors in the evening and you have to walk upstairs to gain access.

I did enjoy my stay overall and would have rated it excellent where it not for the soundproofing issues and lack of professionalism at the front desk. By far my most pleasant stay at a KC 4star hotel, thus far.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for review, we always appreciate any feedback we receive from our guests. I have addresses your comments with our front desk team, I can assure you this is not a typical experience for our guests. Please let me know next time you are in Kansas City, I would be happy to ensure your next visit is without incident.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Pros: modern interior (think kimpton or w hotel), really big bathroom, good bar/restaurant, gated parking lot, free escalade shuttle, good service

Cons: slight smell in the lobby (didn't smell in rooms), mattress was really soft, bed was very shaky (I think there was a lose screw but too lazy/too late to call maintenance), slightly expensive room rate

this hotel reminds me a lot of a kimpton hotel. Pleasant surprise in KC. Can't comment on location since I was in town for one night. I would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed February 2013
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent visit. Please know I have shared your comments regarding the beds and the other issues you mentioned with my engineering and housekeeping teams. Thank you for your time and we hope you will return the next time you are in Kansas City.
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Here for 2 nights on business at the convention center. Smooth, friendly check-in, although would have appreciated a bit more detail on hotel amenities as a first-time guest. Large comfortable room (7th floor), was quiet and equipped with nice mini-fridge. Never did locate nearby vending but Cosentino's Grocery around the corner provided necessary supplies. WiFi reasonably fast and easy to connect with provided password, although you do have to click through waiver each sign-on. Very short walk to restaurants and bars. Lunch at hotel bar was reasonable with fair selection of bottled beer. HVAC in room was excellent with both heat and a/c very responsive to temperature setting. Bathroom well appointed with large granite shower. Overall, would highly recommend for either business or romance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, we always appreciate when our guests comments include recommending our hotel for both business and leisure. We do have an excellent location just a few blocks from the market and the Sprint Center as well. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you are able to return again someday soon.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was really impressed & enjoyed my stay here. I really think this is KC's best downtown hotel. The entry was beautiful- mixing the old architecture with the new trendy. I really liked the colors, furniture & design of this place overall- nice! The room decor is also impressive- it is chic, cozy, stylish & comfy. In my opinion, it was the perfect hotel room. I love the big bathrooms with large stone showers & great mirrors. Again, well done.
I ordered room service a few times during my stay & was continually impressed. Room service that is as good as the quality in the actual restaurant? Yes- here it was. Great quality food, different dishes (not the typical room service menu), and really fast too.
The staff was very responsive as well. When I checked in I requested a quiet room- I needed some restful sleep. When I got the the room there were people partying in the room (rooms?) next to me & around me. I just couldn't do it, so asked to move & they were happily accommodating. I moved to the last room available for the night only to get in to hear a couple being loud with their love making. At this point I knew there were no other rooms & assumed they could not last at that level for too long, so just put on ear phones. I really think that there must be some sound issues in the rooms, so that would be my only negative. Again, the staff was accommodating, but there is only so much they can do if the sound carries so strongly throughout the hotel walls.
The last nice thing that I will mention is that they offer a free valet service. It was a nice way to get across town & a nice addition to my stay.
The Ambassador will be first on my recommendation list to those coming to KC- well done!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for such a great review, I will be sure to share your nice comments with the entire team. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary car service, we look forward to seeing you again very soon
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful small boutique hotel.  Its very chic and trendy.  Its like a W hotel without all the stuck up ness that comes with the W brand, and a third of the price.  Beautiful big rooms.  Large walk in shower.  With room for more than one ;)  Very modern as well.  Staff was polite and friendly.  My ONLY compliant is they advertised 24 hour room service, yet when I tried to order room service at around 10pm, I was told the kitchen was closed. And no food was available. Even thou the menu was full service till 11pm. And a limited menu after 11. They were still closed for food all together.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for posting your review and for the great comments about our hotel and our staff. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. Please allow me to apologize for the confusion regarding the restaurant and our room service hours. We do indeed have 24 hour room service with a limited menu after 11pm I have shared your comments with our culinary team and we have taken the necessary steps to ensure this does not happen in the future. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again very soon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a rare find in KC! The hotel is beautiful, clean with modern upscale decor. It is in an accessible location to the sprint center and power & light district. Staff is very friendly but they don't communicate very well. We had the normal $7 glass of champagne at the lobby bar and when we ordered the same bottle of champagne to our room they tried to charge us $144.00! Really... Other than that it is a really nice place and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for posting this review about your recent stay. We appreciate all of your nice comments regarding the hotel and the staff. We have addressed your concern regarding the charge, you are correct, this was a mistake. I hope you are able to stay with us again next time you are in town.
Rogers, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place was great. Clean, new, fresh, cool boutiquey style, great room, great bed, nice luxury touches (all granite shower... sweet). Nice little bar/restaurant in the lobby, but tons of other options with P&L right across the street. Private parking lot right outside hotel. I've tried 4 or 5 different hotels in the Downtown/Convention Center area, this one was the best by far.

• Stayed August 2012
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your nice review of our hotel. As you mentioned we have the perfect location and a great bar and restaurant as well as our over sized all granite showers. We always enjoy reading these type of reviews and we are pleased when we can exceed our guests expectations. I hope you do stay with us again next time you are in Kansas City.

Been to Ambassador Hotel Downtown Kansas City? Share your experiences!