“Beware of $100 pet fee! What a hassle!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #37 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas
“Beware of $100 pet fee! What a hassle!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We booked hotel room for two days (Jan 1 - Jan 2) and we had two small-breed dogs with us (under 25 pounds) via www.marriott.com. On their website, it only showed that "Pets allowed" but didn't indicate the pet fee at all. When I checked in, the staff gave me a pet-policy form to sign and I was shocked that the pet fee is $100 per night (almost the same as our room rate, $129)!! Image that my boyfriend and two dogs were in the car outside waiting and I found out this unpleasant surprise at front desk~~ I, sadly, decided to cancel my reservation and went to Drury Inn near KC airport. In addition, Drury Inn doesn't charge any pet fee, ZERO! Anyway, I still appreciate that Residence Inn hotel let me cancel my reservation and refund me.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

Previous reviewer let me know about the availability of suites with external entrances and more parking out back. Great suggestion and I would echo the recommendation. Clean, full kitchen with stove, decent breakfast with hot and cold items, centrally located, easy access to the Plaza, and at $129/night, a fairly decent value.

Only Wired Internet access in the rooms is a small issue. I found out that I could connect to the Marriott Courtyard, but I needed a userid and password. I called the front desk and asked if they had the Courtyard Wireless credentials and Cortez was not very helpful. First he interrupted and stated that it was doubtful I could even connect to the Courtyard Wireless. When I told him I had a decent signal and asked for help in getting the Courtyard credentials, he indicated he could not help with that request at all. After speaking with Cortez, I called the Courtyard and spoke with Natalie. She provided the credentials quickly and indicated a willingness to help where Cortez had failed miserably.

Oh, if you find extra time during your next KC visit, make a point of visiting the Boulevard Brewery. Great tour and tastings at the end.

Opus

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Jenks, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

The good: convenient to the plaza and easy to access other parts of KC. Free breakfast was good as usual. Remodeled in the last year and everything was new, clean, well maintained. Most of the staff was very friendly. Rooms were spacious - even for a Residence Inn.

The not so good: 1 small, slow elevator for 6 floors. Parking is horrible. There are 2 small 1 floor garages for the entire hotel. We got there on Friday and left on Sunday. The only time we could park in the garage was when we came back from church on Sunday morning. I swear the "queen bed" was a full size bed. While my husband and I are not large people, we are not petite either ... and we are used to a king size bed. I was tempted to sleep on the sleeper sofa the second night! If you wanted the Marriott self serve staples, breakfast was great (we only ate there Saturday though). If you wanted bacon and eggs, well....I asked if more bacon was coming out and the woman snapped at me that she would bring it when it was ready but it had to cook and would probably be 5 or 10 minutes. Later I heard a guest ask this same woman if she was having a good day. She replied that she was entirely too busy to know and all she was doing was cooking....and not in a pleasant tone. Not the kind of person you want enteracting with guests.

Overall, this was a very nice hotel and we would stay there again....would just make sure we had at least a queen size bed!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

This Residence Inn is located within walking distance of several great restaurants and shops. This hotel is very clean and has complementary parking for it's guests. Even though we arrived early in the day our room was ready and we appreciated that. The clerk at the desk gave us a great map of the area and walked to lunch from there and then on to two art museums. I would highly recommend this hotel for the cleanliness, great breakfast and large rooms with full kitchens and full size refrigerators. The front desk clerks were friendly and well informed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We stayed in one of the one bedroom suites with an external entrance. At first we were very frustrated with having to park in the garage and walk down the street and up stairs to get in, but then discovered there was a parking area directly outside a back door directly into the suite. This ended up being very convenient and there was also a little outdoor sitting area. The suite was very comfortable and well set up. The bed was very comfortable and it was nice to do some light cooking. Breakfast was good although you do need to go outside to get to the main building, but the lower price for the suite with the exterior entrance was well worth it . Very convenient to the plaza. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Everything truly is deserving of the highest rating. The two bedroom suite was clean, pleasant and offered a perfect living area to relax and chat. We took our son and daughter in law for a family time of fun and relaxation. The staff was excellent, from the front desk to the restaurant. Craig did an amazing job with the food especially the social hour. His skills of gourmet cooking and variety far surpassed any hotel we have stayed in including other Residence Inns. He was also most informative on what to do and where to find good BBQ. His whole staff deserve the highest ratings. If there is a con, it would be the elevator being so very slow. However, this turned out to be a plus for us as we used the stairs and walked giving us needed exercise. Location? Absolutely the best! This is the best Residence Inn we have ever stayed in!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

My adult daughter and I met in Kansas City to visit quite elderly family members. We picked this hotel for its proximity to the Plaza and the shopping we wanted to do before leaving town. I thought the furniture in the rooms was old and not up to Marriott standards - very dated, but clean. The people were helpful and pleasant. The chef and accompanying staff get 5 stars for their efforts and their friendly greeting to everyone who came in. The food was good. The little store was too small and too expensive. The location was excellent for shopping in the plaza. I would probably stay again for that reason only. I would recommend it with the explanation above.

• Stayed May 2010

Been to Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza? Share your experiences!