On December 6, my husband and I stayed at this Residence Inn and we were very disappointed. We had stayed there a couple of years before and had a really nice room, so I was looking forward to visiting again. However, I was really disappointed. It seems Marriott bought some old apartment buildings in the surrounding neighborhood to convert to Residence Inn rooms. The building we were in had six "apartments" that had been converted to rooms. The first problem was when we walked in, there was a horrible odor, and the carpet was gross. Then, because our room was on the third floor, we had to carry our luggage up all the stairs to get there. (There were no ramps or elevators.) When we opened the door to our room, we flipped the light switch but nothing happened. It turns out you had to fumble your way around in the dark until you found a lamp to turn on because the light switches at the door and the bedroom don't seem to control anything.
We had trouble locating trash cans. There were two--one under the sink in the bathroom and one under the sink in the kitchen. Not a huge deal, but it seems like they are easier to find in other Marriotts we've stayed at before. Also, the bathroom was TINY. You practically had to step in the tub to close the door to the area where the shower and toilet were, and only one person at a time could get ready at the sink area. It was even difficult for two people to try to stand there. Oh--and there was mold or mildew or something on the caulk in the bathtub. Gross.
In the bedroom, one of the closet doors was off its track. Looked tacky and made it hard to use.
We are part of the Marriott rewards program, so we have stayed at quite a few Marriott properties around the world. This is only the second bad one we've had. The worst was a really dirty Fairfield Inn in Gainesville, Florida. Almost any other Marriott we've ever stayed in has been really, really nice. Rarely are either of us this disappointed. And the service at all Marriott properties (including this one) has always been outstanding. They have great employees. However, because of the condition of this property, we will think twice when we have the option of staying at this one again.