“Authentic cajun in Kansas City” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: the 123 and the JO Stop
Description: Lagniappe (pronounced lan-yap) is the latest restaurant created by Executive Chef/Proprietor Bryan Merker and his wife Monica (a.k.a. Nica). Lagniappe is the fulfillment of our vision of the complete cajun experience. We offer diners a one of a kind menu with endless options on how their meal is prepared. Our mission at Lagniappe is to provide a unique dining experience of the highest quality with exceptional service in a fun, friendly and creative atmosphere.
Kansas City, Missouri
“Authentic cajun in Kansas City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Small and intimate but the food and service is great. However on our last visit they couldn't serve Hurricanes and did not have any Abita Amber. Do not pass up the bread pudding.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

USA
“Decent food, silly names”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My date and I enjoyed our dinners. I felt silly ordering though, as the dishes are named like something in a kiddie restaurant. Also, its BananaS Foster. Not Banana Fosters. That reminded me of when people say Wal Marts. Anyway, service was fair. Server preoccupied with other server. We will try again.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Not impressed with dinner but go for a cocktail”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We visited Nicas 320 for a birthday get together. We had a party of five. There were some positive things about the experience: We made advance reservations and told them it was our friend's birthday. When we arrived she was told happy birthday and the server also told her happy birthday. That was nice. My husband and I arrived slightly sooner than the rest of our party, so we sat at the bar and had a cocktail while waiting. The bartender was super friendly and helpful. I ordered a speciality drink (Ramos Gin Fizz) and she explained what she was doing and how it was made. She also made a helpful suggestion to my husband about beer selection.

When our party arrived, we were promptly seated. It was not busy at all - only our table and two other parties of two in the place. We ordered appetizer plates which were interesting. One was a platter that had crab, salmon, sausage and a few other things and the other was a platter with two types of bean hummus, goat cheese, candied jalapenos and a few other things. I thought the appetizers were decent, but the flavors were all over the place. It seemed to be odd combinations of just whatever they had laying around. Perhaps that was the point - to get a sampling of what they have to offer, but it seemed weird. I did like the goat cheese and I did like the sausage. My husband liked the jalapenos. The rest was just okay.

Our meals were nothing to be impressed by at all. I had the baked chicken with their "house" sauce which is like a stewed tomato type of topping. The chicken was not seasoned at all and was over cooked. It did have generous portions however. My husband had the blackened red fish which was seriously overcooked. It was almost jerky like. No good eats. The others said their dinners were on the "just okay" list as well. The food wasn't terrible - it just wasn't anything to write home about. For $20 for a plate, it should be good and it just wasn't. We didn't have dessert because we figured that it would be on the same mediocre caliber as the rest of the food.

Our server was friendly enough but slower than molasses.

We probably would not go here again unless it just happened to be a convenient central meeting place to meet up with friends for a cocktail before going to dinner somewhere else.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Overland Park, KS
“Unique place with really good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I tried Nica’s 320 for the first time in July of 2013. It has a New Orleans / Cajun vibe though you can mix and match a lot of different flavors. For example, you choose a base such as pork and then choose from a list of sauces that might be considered Thai, Cajun, or Italian. I tried the jambalaya. My husband tried the pork. The jambalaya was good, though I think a little overpriced. The pork was great and worth the money. We had really good service and liked the atmosphere very much. We'll go back.

They offered a wide variety of beers and cocktails. Wine was sold only by the bottle and was pricey. A heads up that I noticed the menu on the website didn't match up with the menu in the restaurant, so the website probably needs some updates.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Back to New Orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The food was a trip back to New Orleans. The Poche Pork was crispy and tender. Drink flights gave an opportunity to try Absinthe or bourbons. Service was down side. Were out of two kinds of beer and took forever for waitress to come back and tell us that, we had lots of time just sitting waiting for her to come back. This is very near Kaufmann Center and a nice place to go before a show.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere