“Overall Good Stay!” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Overall Good Stay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was better than I expected! The breakfast was good (make your own waffles, cereal, muffins, toast, yogurt, juice, etc.), but nothing fantastic. The staff was pleasant when we checked in and quickly got us to our rooms. The rooms themselves were just average. Both beds in the room had stains on them. One bed had a red stain on the white sheets (I don't even want to know what that was from!) and the other bed had a stain down the side of the bed by the pillow. It looked like someone had spilled something off the edge of the bed. Luckily we didn't find the red stain until the next morning or it would have made for a very uncomfortable sleep that night. The bathroom was pretty clean except for stains on two of the white towels. The sink area was outside of the bathroom, which I always prefer. The view out the window was just of the parking lot and the highway. Nothing special. The room was quiet, which I was surprised considering we were downtown and right next to the highway. The hallway was incredibly hot. Our room was also very hot at first and it took a long time for the AC to finally kick on. Check out was easy and they slid my bill under the door in the morning. It was an okay stay for the price, but I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

After check out, the next day had a $50 charge on my card. When I called to ask about it they said they were missing pillows from my room, which I didn't take (I take my own everywhere). Was then told that they had surveillance video of me stealing the pillows. I requested the video be sent to me so I could confirm the allegation. This was three weeks ago, still no video and no one will return my calls, a simple courtesy. To reiterate, they literally stole money from me. I'm pursuing further action, but in the interim please be warned. Nice hotel, terrible management, terrible customer service.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ankeny, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This is a quality hotel minutes from downtown, Crown Center, and lots of KC amenities. It's not a Hilton, but you know that going in. But the price is outstanding if you're just looking for a conveniently located, clean place to sleep.

Pros: the free breakfast is very good, the wifi is free and the signal was strong (at least in our room), the staff is friendly, clean and well-kept. But having stayed here numerous times the location and price are the biggest pluses for me.

Cons: AC worked fine but runs on and off constantly so the noise level varies throughout the evening. Pool and fitness center are perfectly fine but aren't anything special.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms that face the interstate, on the north side of the building.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Sulphur Springs, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We are Elite Diamond members with Choice; 90+ nights in hotels this year so far. We were in KC for business. First off: A/C did not cool room adequately, internet would not work, television would not come in clearly (looked like they were having bad weather but the sky's were crystal clear). Tried calling staff; they were of no help! Tried to explain away internet as being "too many people on at the time" however, a hotel should be prepared for that! Couldn't help with TV or A/C -- offered no solution! The next day we ended up having to change rooms. Manager said she would move us to suite but later took back her words and just put us in room like we had. Internet still did not work. Hotel was VERY loud -- kids running in halls and it sounded like someone was coming through the ceiling at all hours of the day and night. Breakfast was marginal at best. Upon check out, I told them we were leaving and asked for my receipt. Was told "you got it under your door" - well obviously not or I would not of been asking! Asked to have safe fee removed as we did not use the safe and was refused. The is not the practice of other Choice Hotels. Overall, we were quite disappointed with the staff and customer service in general. They just did not seem to be concerned at all. And this went beyond just a single night manager.

Room Tip: Tip: don't stay here if you want a good room or a good night's sleep!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We spent 4 nights here for the McCartney concert and the Silpada national conference downtown. We were pleasantly surprised at check-in to learn that, since we were Choice Hotels gold members, that they did a complimentary upgrade to a suite for us at no extra charge! It was a very nice room and quiet, too, slept well. Breakfast was good, too, each morning, great variety to choose from. It was nice to walk to the concert and back and not have to worry about downtown parking, but I would have been afraid to walk by myself (so glad that my husband was along for the trip). Staff were SUPER great to us. Parking is an issue (it was last year too), but somehow we always managed to find a spot. Highly recommend this hotel in Kansas City!

Room Tip: Third floor away from the elevators is quieter
Green Features: I was surprised that there wasn't a tag/sign to put on the bed each morning to indicate that they didn't need to change the sheets for us. Most choice hotels have that feature, to be more environmentally-friendly. We asked about it and they did accommodate that request.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Park City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

we stayed at this hotel when we went to the Paul McCartney concert at the Sprint Center. We walked to the Sprint Center which was almost a mile away. Most of the route was well lit. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were good too. The was a little problem with the bathroom toilet, the seat was loose, and and that was annoying. Also, one of the lights in the bathroom was burned out. We liked that there was a safe in the room to put our stuff in when we were gone. The breakfast is OK, about what you'd expect for a free breakfast. There was a security guard but he didn't acknowledge us when my husband said hello.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Spent a week here. Hotel is conveniently located on a quiet corner, about 15 minutes' drive north from the central Crown Center complex. Relatively small parking area at times was quite full. A security person was present in the evening and night. I felt perfectly safe at all times, and I saw nothing to suggest the neighborhood was dangerous. Front desk staff was helpful and pleasant.
Room was okay, though it showed some signs of wear, including frayed carpet at the bathroom door's threshold, furniture with paint chipped or missing from its edges, etc. Carpeting and furniture would benefit from renewal.
The room had a microwave and a fridge, a flat-screen TV with a good collection of channels and first-rate wi-fi internet. The maintenance department responded promptly to a toilet that wouldn't stop running. For some reason, the compact fluorescent light in the bathroom took a very long time to brighten to full intensity, and the bathroom fan was pretty noisy. I would suggest that the hotel provide some inexpensive nightlights for the bathrooms, so that it's no longer necessary to leave the bathroom light on behind a closed door to help those needing to visit "the facility" during the night to find their way safely. Housekeeping kept the room well.
The included breakfast was appreciated: make-'em-yourself waffles, yogurt, cereals, eggs (from powder), sausage, grits, pastries, juices, etc. It was served in a fairly small room, but there seemed to be ample additional space adjacent to the elevators and in the lobby to consume it.
There's a pool in the basement (didn't use it), and the "business center" consisted of a single computer and printer in the lobby, not exactly a private location.
My only complaint is that the soundproofing in the rooms was minimal; conversations in adjacent rooms were audible, and whenever anyone in the room above mine walked with anything more than a tiptoe, a "cracking" or "creaking" sound could be heard in my ceiling, and it was loud enough to disturb my sleeping (at 3 a.m.!) Leaving the room's air conditioning unit on "fan only" during the night (to prevent it from cycling on and off otherwise) helped mask this sound, but I was glad I brought my earplugs.
Watch for a $1.50/night "safe charge." If you don't use the in-room safe, the staff will remove this charge from your final bill upon request, but in my view, the charge shouldn't be made in the first place.
Also, for those not familiar with all Kansas City hotels, the Internet-quoted price will not include multiple taxes and fees, including a state tax, an occupancy tax, and a "Kansas City Arena Fee," a city-sponsored ripoff of visitors who couldn't care less about an arena they might not even see, much less use. Collectively, these fees will add about $130 to the bill for a week-long stay.
Overall, the Comfort Inn was comfortable and a good value.

Room Tip: Third (top) floor rooms likely would be quieter.
Green Features: The hotel follows the practice whereby if you wish to re-use a towel or wash cloth, you hang it up; if you leave it on the floor, it will be replaced.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown? Share your experiences!