“Great overall experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Lakeville, Minnesota
“Great overall experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were passing through KS on our way to Branson and wanted to stay at a casino hotel. There are no craps tables in MN, so we were looking forward to the casino after dinner. We met friends that lived there and had dinner at the buffet that we really enjoyed. There were plenty of choices of places to eat, but that way we had lots of options in one spot.
Front desk was fast and friendly and valet was quick, except so quick they tipped over our cooler in the back of our vehicle, but helped us wipe up the water.
Room was clean and comfortable, only issue I had was the light in the bathroom area with the sink and mirror. It was too dark for me in the evening as I was getting ready. There is a little magnifying mirror on the wall with a dim light, but that did not help at all.
I was concerned after I read one reviewer mention no coffee pot in the room, but there is coffee pot, and the wifi was included and was easy to get onto and fast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thanks so much for staying with us and for sharing your review. I'm glad you had a nice stay and enjoyed your dinner at Horizons Buffet. We really value your feedback and do hope we see you again!

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I still paid $99 too much with a rate or $99 for the night. The room was supposed to have a view, and I suppose it did if you consider parking lot view a "view." The bed was so very, very uncomfortable - springs in it poking us! and it was so unbelievably noisy. The hotel staff was understaffed when everyone was checking in, which made them horribly grouchy and snappy. Didn't get a smile out of anyone the whole process. There weren't any "trolly" things to assist with taking the bags to the room. The bottom of the bathtub was dirty. The showerhead trickled water. The biggest problem was the lounge chair and ottoman in the room -- they were filthy and stained. I've stayed in nicer rooms that cost half what this did. We've stayed in all of the casino hotels in KC now, and sadly this is right at the very very very bottom of the list and we really won't stay again unless it's totally free or a $49 at most rate. I was super disappointed. The final disappointment came when we called the front desk to find out about the evening entertainment in the hotel, the phone rang about 20 times before it was answered, then whomever answered had no idea... put on hold... wait.... wait... come back... "can I help you" .... it was a 15 minute ordeal that should have been a super fast question so we could get to the business of having a fun night. OH! And one last thing -- when we were leaving the next morning around 7:00 a.m. THERE WERE HOMELESS (I presume) sleeping on the lobby couches!!!!!!!! Just random people crashed out on the couches!!!! Seriously?!?!? And nobody behind the front desk to ask or tell about it but you'd think security would have noticed?! NOT cool. I have no problem with homeless needing a warm place to be but not in a hotel lobby folks. come on. FYI _ there isn't a fitness center and nobody offered to tell me where to find one so don't pack your running shoes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay. Designated as the 2012 "Best Casino” by Ingram’s Magazine, we want all of our guests to receive the quality experience we are known for providing. Cleanliness is a top priority for us. We encourage guests to let us know if they are not completely satisfied with their room and we are more than happy to do whatever we can. We do have a 24/7 security and surveillance team to ensure a safe environment for our guests. We do not have a fitness center, but there are parks and gyms nearby, and our team members are happy to help you become familiar with the surrounding area. We appreciate your feedback and our management team is reaching out to follow up with you.
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've stayed at Ameristar quite a few times, and have never been disappointed. The valet and front desk staff get the visit off on the right foot with their friendly greeting and prompt service. Rooms have always been clean and well appointed. There are numerous high quality dinner options for a variety of budgets, and the in-house beers are excellent.

Now if I can just crack the code on how to win inside the casino I'll have it made!! We all know that's not going to happen, but it's still entertainment done right. In all my stays the only "bump in the road" I've ever experienced was a shower that wouldn't drain. It all worked out - I was done showering before anything got out of hand. Overall it's one of the best places for a total dining/drinking/gambling experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
It's great to hear you always enjoy your stays with us, Chris! I apologize about the shower; we encourage our guests to let us know about anything they are not completely satisfied with as we do our best to continuously improve. Thanks for sharing your review and we hope to see you again soon!
Denison, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Recently stayed at hotel, was not impressed. In fact, Harrah's K.C. has much nicer rooms in our opinion. Ameristar does not have coffee pots in room, nor do they furnish more than two glasses - people do need more glasses, especially when you have dentures! Also, no mirrors whatsoever in the main room. The only mirror was in the bathroom. The casino is very pretty, but terribly tight machines and what a long, long walk from room to casino. Don't plan on staying at Ameristar again. We get coupons from both casinos & both agree other hotel/casino is the best choice for all around quality.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear this, Sharlene. We do provide a coffee pot with coffee, creamer, sugar and glasses. If you are ever not completely satisfied with your room, we encourage our guests to let the front desk staff know and we’ll be more than happy to do what we can to accommodate you. Thank you for staying with us and we do hope you continue to be our guest.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Isle if capri no hotel not even in the ranks.hollywood nice casino but no hotel not in the ranks. Agosy casino nice but small hotel not in the ranks. Ok now harrahs terrible! Hotel nice size but rooms smell like pets and no microwave and they want you to pay for internet for 24 hours. Crazy. Not in the ranks. AMERISTAR! now were talking 5 star casino THE BIG BOSS of all the casinos ,big hotel, the best service, rooms are nice and clean and direct tv, microwaves and free internet. AMERISTAR IS TRULY THE 5 STAR CASINO OF KC! Thanks for being the best! Thanks yours truly Jamar Nelson

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My friends and Me went to smoke a cigarett e on the casino floor. While our husbands were gambling spending at least 500+ dollars. We were rudely interrupted by woman named Lisa who told me I was to intoxicated to enter the floor after
One drink (you can look at the survailence camera) I was not intoxicated at all and rudely kicked out!. As long as this woman is employed I will never return and will tell My friends to never go there!!! This lady was so rude Ans even cursed at us. I will not be treated like this and i don't want mY friends to experience this! Tell your security not to act like from the Jersey shore! Immature. Vegas should shut you down a disgrace!

• Stayed February 2013
I'm so sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your experience. We want all of our guests to be treated with respect and have a quality experience when visiting our property. We must also follow Missouri Gaming laws and ensure that no one is intoxicated while on the casino floor. We appreciate your feedback and would like to follow up with you. Please feel free to send your contact information and details of your experience to AtYourServiceKC@ameristar.com and we are more than happy to follow up with you. Thank you for visiting and we do hope you reconsider and continue to be our guest.
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I booked a room to celebrate our 11 year anniversary on Saturday, 2/2. We checked in and enjoyed how clean and quiet it was in our suite. We played video poker all night, didn't do too well, but enjoyed our stay. Breakfast at the buffet was good!

Once we got home we discovered that my mother had called the hotel, ordered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to be delivered to our room, had to run around to find a fax machine to fax her credit card beforehand, and her card was charged. We were never notified, and no strawberries or champagne ever made their way to our room. My mom must have thought we were rude, as we never thanked her. Today she finally asked if we ever received, and upon finding out we had no idea what she did, called the hotel. She was told that there is no manager on the property on a Monday, and the only manager will not be present until midnight. What a ridiculous response!

Stay at this hotel if you have absolutely NO special requests. Do not trust them to fulfill any long distance special favors.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thanks so much for celebrating your anniversary with us and for sharing your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and our breakfast buffet. I apologize about the mix-up regarding your champagne and strawberries. We work hard to accommodate special requests and I’m so sorry we fell short this time. We are in contact with your mother with every intention of making things right. Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again!

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City? Share your experiences!