“Bed Bugs + Indifferent Staff = Awful Experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Kansas City-Country Club Plaza

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Kansas City-Country Club Plaza to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Kansas City-Country Club Plaza
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4600 Summit Street, Kansas City, MO 64112   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save 15%!
Ranked #12 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
leahbeth108
“Bed Bugs + Indifferent Staff = Awful Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

If you're looking for a filthy hotel that has viscious biting bugs in all the sheets, bathroom sinks that leak all over the floor, and a staff that couldn't care less - this is the hotel for you!

Upon check in to the Hampton, I was pretty unsatisfied with my smelly room that immediately had the bathroom sink leaking all over the floor. Of course, my phone didn't work or no one at the front desk would answer, I could never quite decide. It was late so I just threw some towels on the bathroom floor to soak up the mess and hit the sack.

Suddenly I began to feel really itchy and turned the light back on to realize I was being eaten up by bugs. Checked the other bed and it too was filled with the little biters. Again the phone doesn't work so I walk my pajama-clad self down to the lobby. The indifferent employee barely looked up from his text messaging as he put me into another room.

Thankfully, the new room was free of bugs. I still can't believe they didn't offer to upgrade my room or at least comp part of my visit for the harrowing experience. I can only imagine how they treat more minor problems guests might experience.

Book at your own risk and pack some Calamine just in case.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — FIlth
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Surprise, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

A rather typical Hampton Inn in a 9 story high rise configuration.

Pros:

* Great Location! Right off of County Club Plaza and in easy walking distance to great shopping and restaurants.
* Free parking garage under the hotel. No scrapping frost off my windows in the morning.
* Friendly staff

Cons:

* Walls were rather thin and conversations really carry.
* Sits on a very steep hill... you better be in good shape if you're planning to walk it.
* Very limited TV channel selection
* Wired internet

I'd definitely stay there again if I wanted a Hampton close to shopping and restaurants.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

This place was really nice. It was very clean. My husband and I stayed two nights over the weekend. It is just off the main road through the plaza, very good location.
We had no problems except that my husbands room key wouldn't work, but we didn't really need it anyway and we didn't ask for a new one either.
They have a nice parking garage underneath the hotel. A good breakfast, usually you don't get much for a free breakfast, but they had a pretty good selection. The bed was very comfortable. Very quiet. The bathroom was very large and the shower was huge and nice.
I can usually find some things to complain about after I stay at a hotel, but I can't complain about this one. Very impressed.
The staff was very friendly when checking in at 930pm.

• Liked — The shower, it was huge!!!!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Clarita
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

Stayed two nights for business and was both impressed and disappointed.
The good: Great location, walking distance to the plaza, hotel in great shape, rooms clean, solid breakfast and nice manager's reception in the evening. Most staff members were helpful.
The bad: Upon returning from a meeting, I saw that maintenance had been in my room as they left a note on the door. Didn't know what they were in for and did not authorize entry. Not only did they enter, but I assume they worked on the shower because when I returned it was a mess. I told the front desk and asked for the shower to be cleaned, told it would be, but it was not until the next morning when housekeeping did their normal rounds. Also requested that someone talk a look at the tv because it made a constant rattling noise when turned on, that was not done.
Without those two problems, I could have easily given the hotel a much better rating, but found that disappointing.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of service when requested
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

The location of this hotel is great, which is why we choose it but other than that I did not think that this property was anything special. The staff was nice but did not go out of their way to be accomodating. When we asked for some things that were not in our room (like soap and an extra pillow) they had us come down and get it and the front desk clerk was not eager to get off of her personal call in order to help us. They also had a hard time with my hiltonhonors reward points.
The room was nice and clean but a little on the small side. Breakfast was alright the next morning but what they call a hot breakfast I would describe as a expanded continental. I have stayed at better places on the country club plaza being from the area this is not a hotel I would reccommend to someone visiting the area.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

We booked this hotel for our KC stay based on trip advisor, but we were a little disappointed. The pool looked lovely from a distance, but upon closer inspection, the water seemed a little murky. We did not swim. The other drawback was that the hotel was fairly noisy in the morning--before 8 a.m.
Breakfast was lovely, and they had a great selection of cereals, pastries, bagels and toast, and scrambled eggs.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

My family had a two night stay. A very nice hotel - clean, well kept, relatively new. Free underground parking for guests. No problems with staff. The complimentary breakfast was above average for Hampton Inns - my whole family thought there was a big selection. The fitness center wasn't huge, but had newer, nice equipment, including two really nice new treadmills. If you are going to the Plaza for some shopping, it's just down the (steep) hill. The neighborhood is quiet.

The knocks on the property (and they are minor) - the room was a little smallish, the toilet, when flushed, was unbelievably loud and had the tendency to spray water on the bathroom floor if the lid wasn't down, and the pool (according to my teenage daughters) was brutally cold.

Overall, a good Hampton Inn, and a bit of a steal for lodging around the Plaza.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Kansas City-Country Club Plaza? Share your experiences!