“Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #41 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
New Rochelle, New York
“Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Having many Marriott rewards points at our disposal, we chose this hotel for our one night stay in Kansas City, MO. What a mistake! When we pulled in, the staff was helpful with getting our many bags out of the car. Upon check-in, we were told that we had a room on the concierge floor, but the lounge was closed for the weekend. They offered us the option of spending an additional 750 points and receiving free breakfast, which we accepted.

We asked the valet staff to keep our car available as were heading out to dinner as soon as our bags were stowed in our room. When we returned to the lobby, our car had been parked and it took almost ten minutes for the staff to retrieve it.

The hotel itself was rather grimy. Due to the poor condition of the hotel, we opted not to have breakfast there, since I figured that the restaurant would be as dirty as the hotel itself. So-we began the leaving process. We called the front desk and asked for our car to be brought around and to send send up someone from the bell staff with a cart. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

I went down to the front desk while my traveling companion waited in the room with the bags. Two members of the bell staff were leaning on a cart chatting with the young woman working the front desk. I asked if someone had been sent up to our room, and one of the bell staff replied that he was going now, Also at this time, our car was not available in the circle.

I asked for the folio, and was given one with a balance (for overnight valet parking). When I looked at it, I turned to ask the woman for one with a zero balance since the amount was charged to our credit card. She had disappeared, but another staff member had appeared and I asked for that, and he promptly complied. He asked how our stay was, and I said do you really want to know? He yes that he was a manager and wanted to know. So-I explained the bell staff/valet issues. And he responded is there anything else we can do. So I suggested that they start by giving the place a coat of paint and shampooing the carpet.

He then apologized and offered to refund our points for the nights, which we accepted and moved on.

Room Tip: Don't know if there are good rooms. Every part of the hotel I saw was dirty.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestServicesPLZA, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we will take the appropriate actions with our staff to ensure these issues are addressed from your stay.

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

From Valet service to excellent Front desk service, unbelievable room with the best view of the city made a perfect evening to visit our daughter and her family. The grand children enjoyed the pool after we had a great dinning experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Happy to hear even the grand kids had a great time! Our pool does make things easy, whether it is a quiet morning in the hot tub (my favorite) or the kids in the pool for the day - we can ensure you have a great time on the Plaza.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is by far one of the best experiences I have had with a Marriott. I have stayed her 3 times now and each time has been great.

Service:
When you are leaving the hotel in the morning there is Marriott staff waiting near the door just to tell you "Have a Great Day"
I do not think I have had to open the front door once, From managers, to reservations, to valet, everyone rushes to the door to open it for you.
Conceirge Lounge is on the 19th floor and has an amazing view of the Plaza. The staff working the lounge were very friendly and would walk around to make sure you have everything you need.
I spent about 10 minutes yesterday with valet and management trying to think of places to go see on my final night in Kansas City. I never once felt rushed or that they didnt care. They gave me plenty of suggestions.

Location:
This is to the NorthEast?? of the Plaza area, which is about 2 blocks from a nice and busy outdoor park with an asphalt track that is about 1 mile around. This park has a few small hills, and amazing trees that line the park. On the very south side of this park is a very impressive fountain.
Being located so close to the Plaza you have numerous dining options in the area, and to top it off Marriott even has a Shuttle that will take you there and pick you back up that runs until 11 each night.

Room:
I happened to have a king room with floor to ceiling windows with a table and small living area. This is one of the best room I have stayed at with Marriott properties, and was a huge reason why I chose to return to this specific hotel vs trying the Courtyard located a few blocks away.
The A/C controls will actually take the room temperature down to 65 when you set it to 65 as oppose to working throughout the night and keeping you up.
The bathroom products are THANN brand, and smell very nice, and the bathroom was very clean and updated.

If I had to think of a Con it would be that parking here is $15 if you self park, and $19 if you valet. While you can call down and they will bring your vehicle around for you if you valet that is still pretty expensive.

All in all I will for sure return here, and if you are looking at reviews for a hotel to stay at in Kansas City, then this is the one. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you are a Platinum try to get an 06 room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jordan thank you for taking the time to share your Marriott Experience. Sounds like you got one of my favorite rooms we have, and that our staff delivered a memorable service experience - hope to have you back soon!
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've stayed at multiple hotels in the Marriott family as a Marriott Rewards member. I wanted to make our stay in Kansas City extra nice as this was supposed to be our last stop on our way to CO. I found the KC Marriott Country Club Plaza was one of the best in the Country Club Plaza area, where we had planned to spend most of our time in KC. We arrived and had to pay a premium fee for parking. The staff we encountered seemed friendly and checking in and out was quick and simple. The room looked very nice and everything was very clean. They did accommodate extra pillows, which was great! However, there was no refrigerator or microwave in the room, so about that extra to-go order that we decided we weren't hungry for by the time we got to the hotel? $20 worth of some of the best ribs had to go in the trash the next morning. We had some important emails and work consults to complete before retiring for the night. I pull up the Internet and find out they charge $10 to use the same Internet that is free at any other hotel.
I was even more disappointed the following night: we were too tired to finish the drive and decided to pull off and find a place to stay for the night. There were no Marriott brand hotels and, in fact, every other hotel was booked up except for the Super 8. Even the cheapest room at this Super 8 included ***free parking, a microwave, a refrigerator, and, of course, free wi-fi!*** This 2-star hotel could provide all this for a complete stranger and yet a Marriott could not provide the same to a loyal member. Something here is not right. Charging fees for - or lacking outright - simple amenities does not make your hotel any more up-scale. For the brand and for the price, I would expect much more.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review, I am glad to hear our staff was fast and efficient, and that you enjoyed the additional accommodations. I understand your frustration in the fee for parking, however there is limited options for self parking in our area. We do offer free internet wired and wireless in our lobby however there is a fee in our guest rooms.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here one night in the middle of a hectic business trip around the region and was just what was needed - easy and quick check-in, a good sized room with good furnishings and a comfortable bed, and a super-quick check-out in the morning. Left relaxed and refreshed, and that is the key thing with any hotel stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Great to hear we were able to accommodate your overseas trip, hopefully you have a chance to enjoy the shopping and dining on The Plaza next time you are here as well.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have stayed here twice, both times on business trips. The hotel is looking a bit tired, but the staff's attitude and helpfulness make up for it. It is conveniently located near the plaza (walking distance) and the shuttle is great for rainy nights. Great choice of restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Upgrade to club floor if you can!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
You will be happy to hear we are scheduled to undergo a full upgrade next year of our entire hotel. I was happy to read our staff is accommodating to your needs while in the States for your business trip, hope to have you back on The Plaza soon!
Fairburn, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel has a great staff! They are always helpful and they do a great job of making your stay enjoyable. There is a shuttle to take you to the various restaurants and shopping in the area. Check in is easy and quick!! There was a problem with the room, and the repair was done quick and face.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the great pics of your view! The fitness area has a good view, good to see you enjoyed that as well. I was delighted to hear our staff was quick and still helpful, hope to have you back.

Been to Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza? Share your experiences!