“Where do I start?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri
“Where do I start?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 8 months two years ago and everything was fine....boy have things changed. I really feel that the staff can make or break a hotel....and this hotel fails on customer service...BIG TIME!

We are trying to quit smoking so requested a non smoking room....so while outside having a smoke at 7:30 p.m. a man (in what we found out later was a stolen truck) tried to steal our trailer. He had broken the lock and jacked it up and if we weren't outside all our belongings would have been gone.

Now I know that hotels post signs everywhere stating they are not responsible for lost on stolen vehicles or personal property. But they do have responsibility of care and safety of their guests. I did not sleep or feel safe after the incident. It was the weekend, but I wanted to talke to the GM Ms. Scott, just for some reassurance, some comfort....the front desk called and spoke with her and I was then told she said she would talk to me on Monday. The young man who works nights said "Welcome to Kansas City". I have never been at a hotel that not one person cared. So, yes, there was one person....Lydia, the sales manager, and although by Monday my stress level was through the roof and all confidence with the hotel staff was gone....Lydia did understand that we were looking for a new place and would be leaving.

Also, I know a lot of people don't pick up after themselves, but the gazebo where you smoke went uncleaned the hole time we were there. Even though the trash was emptied you could always see sticky can rings on the tables, ashes all over the floor, scum all around the grill. The pool area was so hot that in 104 degree weather they were opening the door to outside. The level was also low and didn't get refilled until Monday....needless to say, I didn't go swimming.

There are no security cameras at this hotel...oh wait, there is one in the pantry guarding their precious m&ms!

The hotel is fine....but when you have an extended stay a person expects just a little more than fine...it's your home away from home. A staff makes a big difference and they need to care. The hotel is full....and that's all they seem to care about.

We are pressing charges against the man who tried to steal our trailer.....if they catch him....I am at a wonderful hotel now. Everyone has been so nice so far. I feel safe. I slept well....but it's only been one night....will let you know more soon!

Room Tip: If you must stay here whether on vacation or working....don't leave anything in your car...I was...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
DebraJGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Northeast, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are sorry to hear of your unhappiness of our property. I ensure you that our staff holds a high regards to our guest safety. When I was called I was informed that nothing was taken or broken or hurt so, the thought was to talk with you in the AM after all events settled, I understand now that was a mistake on my part. This is a nice area but things can happen anywhere at anytime. I'm glad to hear you found other accomodations in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stillwater OK, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I reservered a smoking king suite back in April, on arrival I was given a queen non-smoking, they also charged my debit card 7 times, I had the funds available but would have been embarrassing if I had not. I eventually got a queen smoking room and they credited my debit card. However, on May 31 I booked a queen smoking room and by chance today I checked and they had modified my room to a non smoking room again. On calling the front desk, the receptionist or however she was, was extremely rude telling me that a guest had extended his stay and that he had "squatter rights" to the room. I don't give a darn about squatter rights or this person extending his stay. I reserved a smoking room and should get a smoking room. I was also NOT notified like the first time that the room had changed from a smoking to a non smoking. Changing my reservation once was enough, changing it again without notification is irresponsible and unprofessional. I will NEVER stay at this Candlewood again.

Room Tip: Candlewoods are good hotels if you dont' get booted out of the room you reserved due to people e...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
comfortliberty, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Northeast, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. However, in the extended stay hotels guest do extended and check out earlier than they original reservations. We did try to accommodate you with a room for your stay. I totally understand your frustration and we do value your comments. We will try and inform our guest quicker when changes occur.
Kirksville, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

As a travelling RN, I stayed multiple weeks here. It was off-season for the local attractions, and I had no problem with noise or inability to sleep. I believe there was occasionally parking lot issues, (although none involving my car), but I know you have parking lot concerns anywhere, and I can tell you the staff is attentive and the local police are very visible along that entire strip of hotels. I do think a few more washers and dryers in the place would be beneficial. Debra J. and Dina led the crew in representing what you want in hotel staffing: very kind, friendly, and welcoming people. I felt safe and secure during my stay, unlike at the other hotel I had originally booked upon arrival to Kansas City, which is why my company moved me to Candlewood. Would I stay here again should the need arise? Most definitely! I truly enjoyed my stay, and the nice people who made it such a pleasant one!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We enjoyed having you with us. Good Luck and Good Health to you and your family.
Liberty, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Recently kansas city had a huge storm and i was so lucky to have that storm hit one of my power lines :( I was desperate to stay somewhere so i went and checked out a couple of hotels down the street. when i went into candlewood the lobby was very nice and a very nice lady greeted me. she said it would be 99 plus tax for a double bed. i told her i was going to look around... i did so and came right back! the total ended up being 120, which was a little pricey for one nights stay but i didnt really have a choice... when i walked into my room i was amazed. the lady didnt tell me it had almost a full kitchen! pots and pans, plates, utensils a built in new microwave, stove top dish washer, full size refridgerator! it was so nice! i ended up going to my house and bringing all the food i just bought in my hotel fridge so it didnt go bad! if i ever need a hotel again, i know where to go! also has a salt water pool! you can also borrow dvds to watch in room at no cost from the front desk!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
omaha
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I, my wife and son recently spent a couple of days at Worlds of Fun and stayed here. Terrible mistake, while the motel itself was fine they ended up charging our card an additional $65 per day. Luckily I happened to check my account balance while we were there and discovered it. The manager said she couldn't find it on their computer, but my bank spotted it on theirs, and said only a staff member from that hotel had authorized this. To make a long story short we cut our trip short, so we'd have money to get home on. The manager said she'd cancel the charges, which we still haven't seen in our account yet. My advise is don't ever stay here, if you do plan to get ripped off!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Gunnison, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

the night staff, name Teresa was wonderful,, other than that this hotel is pretty sad... the general manager just tells you what you want to hear with no intention of doing anything she says... she promised to make up for the problems on my stay by giving me priority club points, and didn't even do that, and then priority club did nothing to enforce what she had promised and didn't deliver, better to stay down the street from here at the Holiday Inn, they have better location, on staff security guard and incredible wonderful breakfast buffet!!! candlewood had many breakins of cars when I was there, I actually assisted in the apprehension of a criminal when I was there who was trying to steal, I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun and have always tried to help out others, but that is not the kind of place I want to go back too

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Having traveled extensively, I've quickly learned that nothing beats the hospitality, quality, and experience of a bed & breakfast. However, being in the corporate world, we often find ourselves unable to escape the many pre-fabricated boxes that line our nation's highways. A recent business trip brought me to the Candlewood Suites near Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, MO. After several exhausting hours on the road, I arrived at the firm's entrance to find a dog lifting its leg on a bush right next to me. Apparently, this is one of the few chains that is "animal friendly." While this may be a luxury for some, it's a nightmare for an allergy sufferer. I do love animals, but I really don't like sleeping in a room where a stranger's pet has been allowed to roam free. I stayed in a studio room, which, as this is an extended stay, includes a small fully-equipped kitchen, bed, and john w/shower. I found the appliances and kitchen to be clean and well-stocked, as I cooked for myself every day while staying here. The bathroom was also clean and the shower worked well. However, the bed was a disappointment, and in my opinion, it's the bed that really makes the hotel. The pillows were too small, offered no real support, and felt more like piles of shredded paper. One wasn't enough and two stacked made the attempt at getting comfortable even more uncomfortable. Stiff neck the whole week. Despite this hotel's apparent young age, the mattress has seen its share of obese residents - my body had a tough time to the growing cave on the right side of the bed and my sleep lacked as a result. My sleep quality wasn't affected just by the bed. As I mentioned, this chain allows pets, and apparently, my room had hosted its share. On top of the less-than-comfortable bed, my sinuses swelled up and my eyes caught fire. I don't know where Fido had been sleeping, but certainly not far from the bed. After five days of Candlewood, I was ready to head home. After I had returned to the warmth and comfort of my dog-free home, I discovered that Candlewood had taken a bit more than a few good nights of sleep.. The clerk that handled my check-out apparently over-rode my company's credit card and instead charged my bank account for the full amount of the stay. Upon discovering this, I immediately called the hotel. The person handling the front desk said she was "unable" to handle a refund and that I would have to call back the next day to "straighten things out" with the manager (should it really be MY job??). So, the next day, I called the hotel back, and the manager assured me he would send an email reflecting the reversed charges. I got the email, but it's been 48 hours and not a penny returned. I'm confident they'll eventually follow through. In the meantime, I've caught up on my sleep, my sinuses are recovering, and my future itinerary will likely not include a return visit to Candlewood.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites Northeast? Share your experiences!