“Unacceptable for what is supposed to be 3 1/2 stars!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #45 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Rogers, Arkansas
“Unacceptable for what is supposed to be 3 1/2 stars!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Crown Plaza on December 4th for a quick getaway to Kansas City with our kids. We booked through Priceline, and really just needed a place to sleep as we had a full itinerary for the two days we were there. The room appeared a little dated, but was fine, and check in and parking were not a problem.

At check in we were told there were two wedding that weekend. We returned to the hotel around ten Saturday night, and although we noticed the walls were thin and easy to hear next door, we didn't think much of it. Around 1:30 a.m., we began to hear yelling, doors slamming, and banging on doors up and down our hallway. After about 45 minutes, we asked our neighbors to please quite down and not wake our kids, but it continued and got even worse. We called the front desk and asked them to send up security and we were assured that they would. This went on until after 4:00 a.m.. We called four different times to the front desk, and each time were assured it would be taken care of. Nobody ever came to the 21st floor to do anything about the noise.

The next morning, while looking for a sock in the bed, my husband noticed a very large brown stain on the comforter, which was near the bottom of the bed on the underneath side.....which we had covered up with all night!

At checkout, we let the front desk know of our concerns, and were given vouchers for free breakfast, which was a nice gesture. Unfortunately, we decided to have the buffet, and there was no breakfast meat, eggs, gravy, or yogurt for over 40 minutes.

We really didn't have high expectations, but we certainly expected to be able to sleep more than a couple of hours. The lack of response and then the poor experience at breakfast was truly unacceptable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback; we appreciate every guest comment. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay; poor service and lack of response truly is unacceptable. Please be assured we will take every measure to re-address issues of staff responsiveness and security. Our guests are our first priority, and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Again, I apologize for your bad experience, and we hope for the chance to give you the type of service you expect from Crowne Plaza in the future.

Matt Rutigliano, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Hotel staff could not be more helpful or courteous. Room was spacious, accommodations very comfortable. Very convenient to Main Street bus. Shuttle driver was friendly and knowledgeable.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City; we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass along your positive comments to our staff and shuttle drivers. Thank you for staying with us!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

VERY nice staff, super clean , it was like I was staying with Family but downtown .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Thank you for your comment. We are always happy to hear when our guests enjoy their stay in Kansas City. Thank you for staying with us, and we’d love to welcome you back in the future!

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

The customer service at this hotel was poor from beginning to end.. When I called on the day of arrival to ask about adjoining rooms for myself and colleagues who would be arriving much later that evening, it took 22 rings for the phone to be answered. It was 130 p.m. The agent told me it was impossible to set up adjoining rooms. When I arrived, I was surprised that there was no valet parking and not even a valet to help carry in luggage from my car. I had to go inside and wait in line to ask for a valet. This was about 4 p.m. Apparently there was only one valet, and they couldnt find him and one agent said she wasnt even sure if he was still there. After a phone call, the valet appeared from a back door , smelling of smoke, and assisted me. After that, I parked my car ($13 per day) and checked in. At that time, I got a very helpful agent who assisted in setting up my room near my other colleagues. When I got to the room, my luggage had arrived. However, there were wrappers on the floor, so apparently it hadn't been vacuumed. And when I went to put my clothes in the dresser, there were hairs in every drawer....some curly black and some long brown. the inside of the drawers also smelled very musty....or maybe it was B.O. Apparently the dresser hadnt been cleaned in some time. I did not ask for a change of rooms because I needed to be near my colleagues to work on projects. the bathroom was so tiny, you had to walk in and close the door before you could use the shower. I ate that evening in the City Grille at the hotel. At 7 p.m., my colleague and I were the only ones in the place. We immediately ordered an appetizer..artichoke dip and chips. It took 30 min. to get it. We had also ordered chicken sandwiches, and they took an hour to arrive. Remember, we were the only ones there! We never had our drinks re=filled, either. Once, during one of our business meetings, a panel fell off the wall,. maintenance did come to fix it when we called. There was a ballroom outside our meeting room and we had to pass through it to get to our meeting. For two days, the ballroom hadnt been cleaned from the night before,...we had to walk around broken glass and trash.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown.

I do apologize for the experience you describe during your stay with us. You may rest assure that I have addressed the situation with the appropriate departments and will use your comments to redirect our service levels.

The Crowne Plaza Kansas City is committed to providing the highest quality of guest service. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance, and hope you will give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

I must say that this hotel is making a change for the better. I stayed there twice when I was in k.c., mo. before it became the Crowne Plaza Hotel and my stay there was far less then what I expected. I was happy to see that management had changed on my last visit and I have to say that it really showed. My room was great and I didnt feel that I was in the same place at all. The staff from Housekeeping to the front desk made it seem as if I was the only person in the whole hotel when it came to addressing questions and requests. I look forward to my next stay that this Hotel. keep up the good work and Thanks.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your good experience at our hotel. I have passed on your good comments to the housekeeping and front desk staff. Since we are always looking to provide the best service and facilities to our guests, we are very pleased to hear how satisfied you were with your stay. We look forward to your next visit to Kansas City!

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

I came to the Crowne Plaza Hotel for business with the Cerner Corp. My stay was ideal due the great staff and comfortable atmosphere of the hotel. I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback and positive comments. It is always wonderful to hear when guests at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City enjoy their stay during a large citywide convention. We always strive to offer our guests the highest quality service and facilities, and are happy that you were so satisfied with your stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

For the price we paid, this was a great hotel. You can easily walk to the Sprint Center and P and L district. The hotel itself is not bad at all. It isn't immaculate, but it is reasonably clean (the room was cleaner than the common spaces). Parking was $13, which I paid only because it was raining. The elevators from the garage only go to 6, then you must switch. They had HD tv's with HD programming. Wifi was free (thank you, Crowne Plaza). Bed was comfortable and room was quiet. I wish you could make the air conditioner fan run continuously to drown out the occasional person who steps into the hall to make a phone call (so as not to disturb their roommates). Overall, I am glad we stayed downtown as opposed to the crown center area. It is more convenient to restaurants and activity.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown? Share your experiences!