“Friendly staff, average property” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #49 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Friendly staff, average property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Reasonable hotel and value. Staff quite helpful and friendly. Noisy near elevator as sound travels well through this flooring. But the much greater noise source is the AC/heater, which is considerable. Windows don't open so you do need to use the HVAC system. Overall value is fair. The suites are much better and would think about those first.

Room Tip: Suites are preferable. As are rooms away from the elevators
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Kurt H,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. I am pleased to hear you found our staff friendly and helpful. We are continuously coaching and training our team to make sure each guest leaves the hotel 100% satisfied with their service. I would like to apologize for the noise levels from the HVAC unit. I have informed our maintenance team to look into this so it does not affect future guests of the hotel.

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Noel, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I went to see our youngest granddaughter perform at JamFest (cheer competition) which was conveniently right across the street at the convention center. We got rooms for us and Son's family, both king suites with a separate living room and pull out couch for the 2 granddaughters. Ours was by the elevator, which was a little noisy, theirs down the hall was a lot better. Some of the noise could have been from construction going on in the building and the building out back that was being remodeled. Not so bad that we didn't sleep good!

Saw a lot of bad reviews in past on restaurant, wasn't that bad, will review City Grill Separate if you are interested, also a Denny's .3 mile away (other side of convention center) if you desire. For desert there is a Gelato and coffee shop 2 blocks the other way. Will do reviews of those also for those interested.

Parking is 17 self park per day, 20 Valet park (although I have yet to see charge on my bill) Parking is tight and limited, a couple of times we went all the way up and no spaces, as we came back down someone was leaving both times, but other people had to leave out with no space.

Summary: Nice Hotel, Clean, convenient to convention center, lots of eating around, starbucks in lobby, lacks good parking

Room Tip: Suites are great, get away from main elevator
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Dear WilliamsHomes,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. First of all, I'd like to say, I hope your granddaughter did well at the JamFest Competition. It's always exciting seeing how hyped up the kids get before they perform.

I would like to apologize for the noise issues you encountered. With competitions like that the elevators seem to constantly be busy which definitely contributes to the noise level as well as the amount of people in the hallways and public space. We are doing our very best to keep the construction noise levels down and minimize the times of day when they will affect our guests the most. I am pleased you did not lose any sleep because of it.

I am pleased to hear you didn't think the City Grille was that bad. I would be interested in any feedback you can provide.

I am glad to hear you were able to find parking in the garage during your visit. Parking is a commodity in most downtown markets and I believe we offer a reasonable price.

We hope to see you next year for JamFest.

Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just stayed here for two weeks on business and had a pleasant time. Food at the hotel restaurant was of a good standard. I did have one disappointing meal on my first night there but gave them a second chance and was pleased to see that all other meals were good. Friendly helpful staff with an attentive barman in the evening. Front desk staff were always ready to help with any request and hotel driver would take us anywhere up to 3 miles free of charge. The location is great, right in the middle of the city and walking distance of the power and light centre. Rooms were clean and serviced daily.
Would stay again without hesitation.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Richard P,

Thank you for such a great review of the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtoan and recognizing our associates. You can't beat our location for all the activities downtown and we are glad you found it convenient.

We look forward to having you back for another great stay the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Thank You!

Derby, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Excellent hotel - outstanding down town location. The front desk is friendly and helpful. The rooms are decorated nice - We were in room 2201 over looking Bartle Hall. Ask for a high room they are quieter. The restaurant has a pretty good selection - and the food is good. If you want Starbucks - there is one inside the hotel.
The only negative we experienced was in the VIP room Sunday morning 2/25. The VIP room offers complementary breakfast to 10:00 A.M. The kid running the room was NON customs service oriented. My wife and I along with another couple entered true VIP room at 9:30 A.M. Breakfast was non existent. I ask the "kid" if he had ordered up breakfast. HIs response was, "There is only 30 minutes left for breakfast and it would take at least 20 minutes to get eggs, bacon, bread, butter, etc up - so "NO" he was shutting the room down early! Really, Really, when you advertise a service to a definitive time - you fill your promise. There was at least eight additional couples that were turned away that morning. We ate in the restaurant that morning $37.50 with gratuity. Im not complaint so much about the cost of breakfast - (It was good) - I am complaining that the VIP room was shut down early by a pimply faced lazy 19 year old boy!!

Room Tip: Choose a high room, the higher the room number the less street noise you will hear.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear lakelizrd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay even with the inconvenience in our Executive Lounge.

I would like to apologize for the way you were treated and I appreciate your comments. As we are continually striving to improve our customer service, We will utilize your comments to coach and train our staff. I hope that should your travels bring you back to Kansas City, you will give us another opportunity to improve your opinion of the this hotel. I truly regret that you did not enjoy the service in our Executive Lounge and your concerns will be addressed with our team.

Topeka, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Oh where do I begin. First the positive, I called at 2pm to see if our room was ready, which it wasn't. Not a problem. We decided to go anyway and have a drink in the bar. I guess the bar didn't open until 3 but they decided to open early for us. When 3 came, we went to the front desk to check in only to be told our room STILL wasn't ready and it would be just another 5 minutes. 35 minutes went by before she said our room was finally ready. Whatever took so long is beyond me because the room was dusty, smelled horribly and there were flowers in our room for someone else! So I tried to call the front desk to let them know that there were flowers that didn't belong to us and the phone didn't work, of course. Then, the bathroom. Oh god the bathroom. Smelled so bad, the door was chipped and moldy looking on the bottom. The shower looked like it was from the 60s. The shower handle was wiggling and the tub just sucked. Then we had ANOTHER bunch of flowers delivered to the room which also were not for us. Then we had issues with the TV. We called for assistance, was told an engineer would be "right up". We waited almost an hour and no one came and we had to leave. When we came back about an hour and a half later, our room key wouldn't work. So we went back down, I complained about all of the issues we were having. The girl at the front desk was nice and offered to switch us rooms and I asked if things were going to improve. She said no. What a joke. Everyone there seemed so confused and the manager was standing right there within ear shot of everything and did NOTHING. I have a feeling he is the reason this hotel is in such disarray. To "remedy" the situation, they had a DISGUSTING refrigerator sent up and gave up access to the concierge level breakfast the next day. That's when things got worse. The breakfast is what you would expect from any other CRAPPY hotel continental breakfast. I had a bagel and fruit. The strawberry cream cheese I got for my bagel had MOLD in it. I hated this place. I will never go back and I will never recommend them to anyone.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel. Hotel Phillips is WONDERFUL!!! We should have stayed there again instead of this...
Green Features: What environmentally friendly practices?? I have no idea what they do that's environmentally friendly expect maybe putting cleaning chemicals into the air because God knows they don't use any!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristen C,

Thank you for taking your time to share feedback on your stay with the TripAdvisor community. I'd like to apologize for the way you were treated during your stay, especially after bringing your problem to the attention of my staff. Our people are trained to act immediately upon any report of a complain and part of that training is to do whatever it takes to ensure that our guests feel satisfied with the resolution. In this case my team dropped the ball; however, thanks to your review, I now have another training tool to utilize so that they understand how their response in this situation impacts our guests.

I did not have the opportunity to speak with you regarding this issue, but please feel free to contact me at the hotel so that I can make this right by you. I hope that should your travels bring you back to Kansas City, you will give us another opportunity to improve your opinion of the this hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your opinion. I truly regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and I will address each of your concerns with our team.

Northwest Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We bought a room on Priceline's name your own price. "Won" the hotel for $60/night (plus tax). When we got there I realized we would have to park in a parking garage and wondered how much that would cost. I asked the valet who told me it would be $15 for our entire stay. When we checked in I asked the woman at the front desk how much parking would cost just to confirm what the valet told me. She said she was new and had no idea how much they charged
for parking. It was late and I was tired so I eventually gave up trying to find out and went to my room. At the end of our two night stay we got a bill for the parking. They had charged $15 per night on my credit card. I went down to complain and the other woman at the front desk said that the first woman was new and hard of hearing. I told her that the valet said $15 and she didn't even believe me. She was actually going to find the valet to see if I was telling the truth. Eventually she said that she would charge me $15 total since that's what I had been told, but this was after having to wait an hour to talk to the manager who never showed up. But seriously, you think you're getting a good deal on Priceline but then they add $15 per night! Absolutely ridiculous! We could've stayed somewhere much better for that price.

As far as the hotel, it was old and dirty. I was not impressed. Certainly not the 3.5 stars that Priceline gave it.

• Stayed February 2015
Dear havinfuntravelin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Crowne Plaza KC Downtown. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and I appreciate your comments. As we are continually striving to improve our guest service delivery, I will utilize your comments to coach and train our staff. I hope that should your travels bring you back to Kansas City, you will give us another opportunity to improve your opinion of the this hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your opinion. I truly regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and I will address each of your concerns with my team.

West Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a one-night reservation for February 7, 2015. A room was already available when we arrived between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. The front desk representative, while smiling, was distant and not really paying attention. She gave us room keys without ever telling us our room number, leaving us to look inside the key card envelope and direct ourselves.

We parked in the $17/night self-parking ramp, which was damp and dirty. Many of the parking stalls were blocked for maintenance, and the tight corners and horrible visibility in the ramp meant a few tense moments escorting children from the car to the elevator.

We took the elevator to our floor and found the room number shown in the key card envelope, but the keys did not work. We called down to the front desk from a hallway phone and they said they would send maintenance right up to our room. Maintenance arrived 10 or 15 minutes later and opened the door with a master key to let us in. He checked our keys and then went back to the lobby to reprogram them. We started looking around the room when he left.

The room was disgusting. There was a thick layer of dust on the beds, the furniture, the TV - everywhere. I killed a bug that was crawling across one of the two (still made and tucked) beds, and saw a dirty, empty glass sitting underneath the AC unit. Maintenance came back up with new keys and still could not get the lock to work.

I went down to the front desk and explained the dirty surroundings. To her credit, the front desk rep seemed horrified and offered to try to find us another room. She also pointed out that we were supposed to have been told we were in a different room, but whoever checked us in gave us the wrong information and wrong room number. Now, more than 45 minutes into what should have been a quick check-in, drop off, and head out to the city, we were done with this hotel. They offered a full refund and said they would communicate that to the booking company we used. Unfortunately, come today (two business days later), they still had not contacted the booking company.

We will NOT be back to this hotel. Something as simple as keeping guests out of dirty, out-of-service rooms, should not be so difficult.

Room Tip: Confirm your room number, even if they write it down!
Green Features: Did not see anything that indicated an environmentally-friendly practice, but we were not there very long.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear nateboreland,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I would like to apologize for the experience you had, and I will be sharing your feedback with our team.

I would appreciate it if you would contact our General Manager directly, because we would like to make this right by you, and because we would like to gather more information so that I can address the shortfalls you noted.

I would like to address your comments about the clerk not stating your room number in general. For the security of our guests, we do not announce a room number out loud. I apologize this was not pointed out to your in your key packet before you left the front desk.

Please feel free to contact our General Manager to discuss your stay. Again, thank you for your helpful feedback.

Guest Services

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown? Share your experiences!