“Nice but” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Charleston, Missouri
“Nice but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is a good place to stay if your wanting to do the downtown stuff. It is very close to the power & light district. It is also right across from the KC convention center which was nice for us. But as far as I'm concerned that's the only reason I stay here. I was on the 27th floor and took a COLD shower. Another gentleman that was with us was on the same floor and said he has the same thing. The room was spacious and had types of amenities. The bathroom was small but I didn't care about that. It was a functional space but the hot water was nonexistent. If I'm going to stay at a hotel in this price point everything needs to be spot on. In the lobby they have a great happy hour. Roxanne was our bartender and she was a wealth of knowledge about the area. We had a good stay but I'm very unsatisfied with the water. It's inexcusable!

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Riverdog_23,

Thank you for your review and sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor Community. I would like to apologize for your lack of hot water, I completely understand the frustration of taking a cold shower. I will pass on your comments to our management team. We are continually striving for excellence and I am sorry we felt short in this instance however, I am pleased you were able to enjoy our happy hour and our bartender passed on her knowledge to you.

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Branson, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed two nights. Carpet stained in bedroom. Lights did not work between beds and at desk. Don't know if it is an electrical problem or if the bulbs were burned out. Staff very friendly and location good. Free wifi. Would not come back unless prices drop. Very expensive for what you get.

Stayed October 2014
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear ButtercupNana,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and concerns about your recent stay with the TripAdvisor Community. I want to apologize the the issues with your lighting in your room. Unfortunately, your concerns were not brought to the attention of our staff during your staff. I assure you we would have rectified the situation immediately. As far as our pricing goes, although, it may seem high, we are very competitive with the market in the area.

I am pleased to read that you did find our staff pleasant and enjoyed the area. I certainly hope you would consider staying with us again, if you are in the area.

missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed at Crowne Plaza downtown in K.C. over the weekend, we had a water problem in one of the two rooms we rented, they moved us to a suite and couldn't have been more accommodating. We had price lined our rooms and THEN read the reviews so we were a little skeptical, whatever the reviews said is wrong with this hotel it is not true., everyone there was very friendly, our rooms were very clean, we would not hesitate to stay there again and hope we get the opportunity too. From the manager Katrina to the bellhops we want to thank you for a great experience.

Room Tip: The suites are awesome but even the standard rooms are worth the money.
Green Features: We had a problem in one of our rooms, they took excellent care of us and would definitely stay there again. I highly recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear mamasboys,

Thank you for the raving review! I am pleased to read you enjoyed even with the minor inconvenience. We are currently installing new boilers to prevent that issue for future guests. I hope we do have the chance to host you again in the future.

Regards,

Joplin, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I traveled to KC to see Jerry Seinfeld at The Midland Theater and selected this hotel based on its proximity to the venue, as well as dining options.
Upon check-in, Katrina arranged for us to receive a room upgrade to a king bed suite on the 24th floor (full disclosure: I am an IHG Rewards Club member). Though the room ended up being next to the ice machine area we weren't bothered by any noise from the machine.
We were able to take advantage of free beverages during 'happy hour' in the executive lounge on the 26th floor, and we could have had a free continental breakfast the next day, too, but already had plans to dine elsewhere.
The garage and pull-through driveway were undergoing construction/repairs while we were there. However, it wasn't much of an inconvenience - we merely had to walk a little further around to get to the front door, and while valet parking was required instead of an option, we were only charged the self-parking rate for the parking garage (face it - if you're traveling to a larger city you're going to end up paying to park, anyway).
Our accommodations were spacious, the bed comfortable. All staff we encountered were friendly. The location was convenient.
The only recommendation I have is for the hotel to install better window treatments in the Executive Lounge - those sheers do little to keep the sun out and the space cool when the sun is setting and you're trying to watch the Royals win a ball game on TV.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kjoadd,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful opinion of the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown with the TripAdvisor community. I am so pleased to read you had a great stay and were able to enjoy our Executive King Suite and the Executive Lounge. While the window treatments don't block the sun as you'd like, they do provide a great view of the city don't you think? Should your travels bring you back to the area, we'd love to host you again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here at the end of September to the beginning of October and had a miserable stay. Their was lots of construction which I was not aware of. Although the location was nice and convenient,their are better hotels locally that I would recommend over this one.

• Stayed September 2014
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Richele805,

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our hotel and the issues you incurred due to the construction. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel as it is only with comments such as your that we can improve our hotel.

I certainly hope that you will give us another try should your travels bring you back to the KC area. We are dedicated to guest service and guest satisfaction. I can assure you that we utilize every bit of feedback to help improve our service, and we will use your feedback to make changes that will better serve our guests.

Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great location close to Sprint and Convention centers --can walk to both but poor value. This is basically budget quality for downtown prices. Our TV didn't work, tub didn't drain, room smelled like flower air freshener covering mildew, noisy air conditioner all night, etc. - what I would expect at a budget hotel. Paid $179 plus valet fee. Sad. Restaurant and Starbucks were good with friendly staff in the dining areas. Will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed October 2014
Dear Robyn4377,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry that you did not have a great experience with us. We strive for 100% satisfaction, and we failed you on that. I will address your concerns with the appropriate management so they may correct the concerns that you mentioned. I do hope that you will give us another chance when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrived at noon and were told check-in wasn't until 3 pm. No problem, so we sat in the lobby. At 2 I was seeing people checking in, so I asked about checking in. I again was told check in was at 3. Ok. At 3 I returned to the counter and was told my room wasn't ready. Really? Then they found a room. I had paid for a 2 room king suite. We had room 1608. Avoid this room and any others near the elevator. It sounds like a train. The room air conditioners are noisy also. For the noise, the price and the extra price add-ons: business tax, parking, etc., I would check elsewhere. The location was good.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Dear NancyC,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at Crowne Plaza Kansas City. I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and I have shared your comments with our entire team so we can do a better job. Hearing from our guests helps us provide the best experience possible.

The next time you are in Kansas City, we hope you'll come back to see the changes we've made and tell us what you think.

Thank you for helping us improve!

Guest Services

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown? Share your experiences!