“Nice stay for Royals FanFest” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #46 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Iola, Kansas
“Nice stay for Royals FanFest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza downtown in KCMO for a trip to Royals FanFest at Bartle Hall (convention center). Walking distance, about a block to Bartle. Room was great, housekeeping great, staff excellent (front desk, bar/lounge, room service, executive lounge) and a special shout out to Monte (Shiny Penny) the shuttle driver that took us downtown. Only reason I didn't up this one to an excellent rating was the executive lounge was fairly slow at being restocked if at all. Beverages were great but snacks and morning coffee were scarce.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear mmichael171,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. We are happy you enjoyed our hotel and great location! Hope to see you return again soon. Safe Travels!

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed in the suite in the hotel. It was really comfortable and spacious and recognized IHG rewards members. The access to executive lounge for platinum member makes the stay even more enjoyable. You get complimentary breakfast and happy hour if you are a platinum member. There are a lot of people in the hotel during my stay, so it was crowded and it sometimes took a long time to wait for the lift. I found some long, entangled hair left from previous customers besides the bed I stayed. The housekeeping does need some improvements. The front desk was not very helpful in terms of dealing with this issue either. But generally it was a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear francischien09,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate your loyalty as a platinum member.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy our executive lounge. I am sorry for your housekeeping issues and I am sure our executive housekeeper will be interested in reading your comments. I assure you this is not our standard and welcome you back again to see for yourself.

Thank you!

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza. We had to change our reservations 2 days prior as our plans had changed and they were very accommodating. We actually arrived before check-in and the room was clean and ready. We were able to park in the garage and actually did not move our car until we left. Parking was $15 a day and some in our party could not find parking, so it worked out well. USA Volleyball had a huge tournament going on and George Strait was doing a concert. Rooms were nice, clean. I was worried about hot water after reading some previous reviews, but the shower was nice and hot! You could definitely hear others in the hotel. Someone's alarm woke me up at 5 am. We were near the elevator and you could hear it, not too bad, it did not keep me awake. Staff were very friendly, great staff!
One complaint would be the breakfast in the restaurant was expensive, around $15 for the buffet and not very good! Sausage was not edible. Our waiter disappeared, they were not very busy, and we had to get up and get our own water. Next time, I will ask to see a menu and not get the buffet. There is a Starbucks in the lobby, where you could get coffee and we saw a Denny's not too far away. I do not remember if it was close enough to walk to. There are plenty of dinner- type restaurants within walking distance, (3-4 blocks)
Overall it was a nice hotel, comfortable. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear lcwhite1,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown.

I am very pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your reservation changes and that we were able to accommodate an early check in for your room. I am also pleased to read you found the room to your liking.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the breakfast buffet, I am sure our Food and Beverage team will be interested in reading your comments. I assure you that is not our standard and would invite you back to try the buffet again or anything on the menu. Our Chef has created a very good menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner that I would recommend to anyone.

Again, thanks for your review; we look forward to your next visit!

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My daughter and I arrived after dark at the Crowne Plaza downtown to stay with her volleyball team. When we arrived, we did not have a reservation on their computer, although I did have a reservation on my phone e-mail. Turns out that the volleyball club mistakenly booked our reservation at Overland Park instead of downtown. Gwen was extremely helpful, and assured me I would have a room for the weekend with the team. She cancelled our incorrect reservation, and was able to find me a room downtown. She also offered me complimentary parking for the weekend to offset the confusion. It was nice of her to be so pleasant and helpful after a long drive!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Kate C,

Thank you for the review, I appreciate your kind words about the staff and their efforts to please &/or assist our guests. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we would be your hotel of choice the next time your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed here on a recent business trip. The service is in this hotel is spectacular. The front desk people are simply wonderful. There is a starbucks and a gift shop in the lobby bothwhich unfortunately closes at 6p, a small bar and a restaurant. The small gym is very basic. The rooms are functional, well maintained and clean however the walls are very very thin. It almost like being in the same room as your neighbour (you can hear every cough, telephone call, bathroom flush, shower, etc, etc.)

Room Tip: Try get a room with no neighbours.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear DDO89,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review.

I am sure our team will be interested in your comments about the hotel overall. I appreciate your kind words about the staff, I did share your comments with my team and I wish you could have seen how it brought smiles to their faces!

Again, thanks for your time and your candid feedback

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Best hotel stay experience ever and great customer service. I travel quite frequently for business and leisure and I can say this was the best hotel experience ever. I never write a review about any hotel but this experience made me write the review. The hotel is good and over that the staff is awesome !!!!!
Everyone in the staff at the front desk, in all the shifts, were great. Gwen, John, Rachel, Charelle, Stephanie, Priscilla, Terry, Mark.... They always exceed your expectations by going one step ahead from any other hotels, which makes you feel like a special guest. They always welcome you with a nice smile. To quote an example, I loved the first conversation with Gwen and she said 'Let me know if you need anything at all, I am always here to help'. A lot of other hotels will have this as a standard script but when they say it, it feels like a "standard script". What I felt here was a friendly voice more like your family, especially when you are away from home. I can give a lot of such examples.
They are very patient, knowledgeable and helpful. They always provide a good suggestion about what to do, where to go around and how to go.

Like the great staff, the manager Brent was also awesome. It was always nice meeting him.

The hotel is located at the right place with all the attractions around it. The hotel rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. They maintain it really well. Access to Business Center, Gym, Executive lounge makes it even better.
The staff at the executive lounge, Angela and Mine, were great and always had a smile. Very friendly and nice.

Overall, my stay here was the best ever !!!!
I would love to visit this hotel again and suggest this hotel to everyone who is visiting Kansas City.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear ZunilYumYae,
Wow! What a wonderful review of the Crowne Plaza – Kansas City Downtown! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our property and calling out our staff – I personally know that each and every one of the names you mentioned along with the rest of our staff, take great pride in providing “One Step Ahead” service and are willing to go above and beyond for all of our guests.

Our hotel amenities such as the Business Center, Fitness Center and the Executive Lounge are perfect for those traveling for business or leisure; I am pleased you were able to utilize these during your stay with us.

Our location is also great, located next to the Power and Light District is perfect for those who want explore the city and all it has to offer with the array of restaurants, shopping and night life being only a short walk away or a short drive to many of the other destinations KC has to offer like the Plaza, Westport and the River Market areas.

I hope your future travels will bring you back to Kansas City and you will stay with us again.

Again, thanks for all of your comments; we look forward to seeing you again.

Alma, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We booked a good rate for this place on priceline. We were satisfied, you pay for parking separate, so we splurged for valet. Man, I love valet parking, worth every penny. I just don't know what to tip them. Daryl in the bar took very good care of us between 4 and 5pm. Elevators were fast and always quickly available even though the desk told me they were at 100% occupancy. This is a great downtown location and we recommend it, even though our TV only had sound and no picture in room 1501. Like most places they have those crappy pillows that appear puffy, but when your head hits it, is about as comfortable as a few layers of newspaper.

Room Tip: I think I would ask for a room on the East side for a better downtown view, but there are really no...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear ksbeef,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about the Crowne Plaza. I want to apologize about your TV not having a picture; I hope we were able to quickly resolve the issue for you.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our Valet Service, for future reference, some people choose to tip $1 or $2 dollars when you drop off your car and pick it up. Also, thank you for recognizing our associates in the lounge. They take pride in providing great customer service to all of our guests.

Please come back and see us the next time you are in the KC area.

Thanks again!

Guest Services

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown? Share your experiences!