“Not bad, not amazing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Not bad, not amazing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed on a Tuesday night when we were in town to see a concert. The location is perfect which is why they can get away with charging so much. The hotel is nice enough...needs a little refreshing. The paint on our bathroom door was peeling, there was something crusty on the table by the armchair, there was some old stain on the sheets. I'm a freak about hotel cleanliness and it wasn't enough to send me running, just enough to make me uneasy. The bottom line is that if the other nicer hotel had rooms open, I would have stayed there. Since it didn't, this place served a purpose well and gets three stars from me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear jeeyol,

Thank you for your review of your past stay here at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza Downtown. I'm glad you enjoyed our location. I apologize for some of the maintenance and cleanliness issues you mentioned, we've shared your comments with the team so we can do a better job and I'm sorry if the comfort of your stay was interrupted by those issues.

We hope you give us another opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Thank you!

Jim Wynn, GM

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Maryville, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We recently stayed the night for the Bruno Mars concert. Check in and Valet went fine..no problems there. They put us on the end of the hall (another bonus!) 4 ladies walked to the Sprint Center with no concerns with safety. short and safe distance from the venue. We had dinner at the hotel before the show and our waitress was super nice, did a great job! Dinner is very reasonable. Breakfast buffet was decent, wasn't impressed with our waitress, as we asked on 2 separate occasions for a spoon (not with the silverware/napkins) as they served oatmeal and yogurt, but never got our spoons, small set back, didn't ruin my day or something dramatic! LOL. But WOW the elevators were getting backed up by the time we were done with breakfast,we were on the 22nd floor and the elevator we were on was super packed with people and it stopped on EVERY floor going down! OVerall though, I was SUPER impressed with the rooms,staff, food etc at this hotel. Def consider this if you are staying in the KCP&L district.

Room Tip: Didn't hear any traffic at all on the 22nd floor, end of hall :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CarrieRose1975,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay here with us at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza Downtown. I am glad to hear your enjoyed dinner with us in the hotel before the concert and I appreciate the kinds words about your server. I apologize about your server the next day for breakfast and I will share your comments with the team.

We look forward to having you back again the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Thank you!

Jim Wynn, GM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have never stayed at this hotel before and despite one incident that happened at check in we will be sure to book here again in the future. The room was beautiful, the staff(except for one person) was very helpful and seemed to genuinely care about their guests. Check in was fast, however, the heavy set woman who was at the front desk "Barbie" I think her name was, made a comment to me about how I should know my husband better!?!? I am not sure if she meant it as a joke or what but I was not amused. After getting settled in our huge two room suite, I called the front desk to get dinner suggestions and Gwen was so curteous and helpful and even offered to make reservations for us. When we came back from dinner we wanted to put our food in the refrigerator but it did not seem very cold so we called to get a new one and it was replaced immediately with one that worked much better. The bed was super comfy and we were able to request a late check out which was nice. Check out was a breeze and parking does cost $15 but it is well worth it so that you do not have to drive around downtown to look for a spot on the street. I would highly recommend Crowne Plaza to anyone that is looking to stay in KC. Just make sure you get someone other than "Barbie" to check you in!

• Stayed August 2013
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear HawksFan15,

Thank you for being our guest and taking a moment to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed one of King Suites and that we were able to help you with dinner suggestions as well as a late check out.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was in town for a concert at the sprint center and had a great time. The room service food was great, parking was easy, and the location is top notch. The hotel could use a few more elevators and some tlc but overall it was a great stay for the convenient location. I would stay here again for an event downtown.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Allan W,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. I am happy to hear you had a great time at the concert. You can't beat our location, as we are within walking distance to the Sprint Center, as well as many other venues in the downtown area. I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed room service during your stay with us.

There are some really great concerts coming up and we welcome you back anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Couldn't have had a better experience. Rooms were beautiful (and BIG), parking was easy, check in was fast and friendly, breakfast was nice. Overall highly recommend if the location works for you. Seems like a good value compared to other KC hotel options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear track400m,

Thank you so much for the five star review and recommendation. I'm glad to hear you couldn't have had a better experience during your stay here with us and you enjoyed our big beautiful rooms.

We look forward to having you back as our guest again the next time you travel to Kansas City.

North Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed last week at Crowne Plaza in KC. Moved from a different hotel to this one due to small room and crappy pull out sofa, we had two teenage boys that are big kids. Hotel seemed nice enough until Friday nite about 1am. There is an outdoor concert on Friday nights that doesn't start till 9pm and goes until 2am. This is about 2-3 blocks from the hotel. I called the front desk at 1am and was told the music wasn't from the hotel it was from the outdoor arena and nothing they could do about it. When checking out the next morning they asked my husband how was your stay, & he told him about the loud music & how we didn't get much sleep. Another desk person came up and said, " I have some property in the Ozark forest & the frogs & crickets keep me up at night but I still have to make my note payment at the bank"...really, really rude will not be back & will recommend to friends to stay somewhere else. That was a $500 mistake for just 2 nights......

Room Tip: my tip don't stay there from Thursday-Saturday if you want to get some sleep, and don't look...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tina D,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. The outdoor concert at Power and Light can get a little loud and I apologize if the comfort of your stay was interrupted because of that. I also want to apologize about the comment one of our associates made to you when you were checking out, there intention was not to come across rudely.

We hope you give us another opportunity to be of service to you the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Florissant, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The staff definitely receives 5-stars from me. We were assigned a room on the 8th floor (floors 2-6 is the parking garage), just above the pool and at 10:30pm, the music from the pool was still blaring. We did have to call the desk twice before it was turned off but no big deal overall. The music was on again at 7am and the front desk said that the timer was not working. I would recommend just turning the radio off until the timer works instead of just a temporary fix. The staff happily moved us to another room on the 15th floor for the second night, out of the range of the music. Large and very comfortable room, with separate living room, excellent temperature control, and good showers. The one missing star is because of the ancient bathroom floor and shower walls that were had more than an acceptable amount of soap scum on them. Can't beat the location either, right in downtown, a few blocks from the Power and Light District and GREAT restaurants.

Room Tip: Upper floors are much quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bradleyjoe,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. I'm glad to hear you found our service to be fantastic and our associates to be five star. I apologize for the music at the pool being so loud, but it's good to know, we were able to get that taken care of for you and the comfort of your stay was not interrupted.

We hope you choose us again, the next time you visit Kansas City.

Thank You!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown? Share your experiences!