“Lots of little irritations, one BIG one” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #47 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City
“Lots of little irritations, one BIG one”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

In the 17 years we've been married, hubby and I have never had a night away together without kids since our honeymoon. So he decided to surprise me with a night for the 2 of us--without kids--at the Crowne Plaza. We checked in around 6:30. When we got to our room, which was small for a hotel this size, we discovered 2 full beds instead of the one king he was sure he'd ordered. Two fulls remind me too much of the many time we've shared our room with kids. But it didn't matter whether or not he'd ordered a king bed--he was told too bad, they were all taken. There were a lot of little inconveniences at this hotel. Our ice bucket was broken and unstable with no liner. The ice machine on our floor was broken so I had to visit other floors until I found one. The wall had a small bash in it. They only gave us enough coffee for ONE cup. The coffee maker had broken hinges. The a/c had broken hinges (in fact they had the under-the-window furnace-a/c which didn't respond to any movement of its switches. I had to call the front desk because I was freezing--they sent an engineer and turns out the unit under the window had an entirely different control in another part of the room.) The tub wouldn't drain...little things like that. The view was okay--the top of the municipal auditorium and a small glimpse of downtown. Clear view of the light show on the Marriott. When we checked in I asked about things to do, and the front desk clerk told me there really wasn't anything within walking distance, but from the room I saw a nice park across the street.
The worst part of this hotel by far was that we heard the elevator--constantly. Of the MANY hotels I've been in, I have NEVER been in a hotel where I've heard the elevator. And we heard it ALL. NIGHT. LONG. And we weren't even next to it--I guess we were across from it. We couldn't hear the TV because of the elevator (wasn't much to watch, anyway. The channel selection was not good). At times the elevators were so loud we thought they were thunder for a few minutes. With earplugs, I still awoke every hour or two hearing that rumbling. I can still hear it and it's been three days since we were there. The pillows were made of some sort of odd stuff and were horrible.
My husband was about ready to chuck it and go home by 8:30. I wasn't complaining to him about the hotel because he'd done this as a special treat for me and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. But even though he's not nit-picky and even though I didn't point out problems, he was pretty disgusted.
The check in procedure was odd. The hotel valet service was $19 per day, compared to $15 for self-parking. But we had to take care of parking before we could check in. Because of this and because an elevator from self-parking was broken, we opted for valet. So much for handicap accessibility, which is a concern for us. And if we went out, we had to be back by midnight because the valets turned back into mice, or something.
The Internet access was free and worked well--and that's the most positive thing I can really say about the hotel. It is not kept up very well, and not at all to the standards that a hotel of its supposed calibre should be.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't put you FAR away from the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear KCwoman,

Thank you for your comments about your stay here at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza Downtown.
We're sorry we didn't have a King room available for you on this night and we apologize for all the little things you mentioned in your review as well. Those are not little things to us and I would have hoped you would have let us know while you were here so we could take care of them for you. We have shared your comments with the team so we can do a better job and I hope you give us another opportunity the next time you visit Kansas City.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a nice one-night stay at the Crowne Plaza downtown KC. The hotel was very close to the Sprint Center where we attended a concert and the walk to/from was quick and we felt safe the entire time being on well-lighted city streets.

The self-parking was easy, and despite one of the elevators from the garage being shut down due to maintenance, it didn't take us long to get into the hotel and check-in was a breeze. The room you could tell was a little dated, but suited us fine. The bathroom was a bit on the small side as well.

For full price, it seemed to be a little less than expected, but we were fortunate to find a deal online and get it at a little cheaper rate.

Only major complaint came with breakfast at the restaurant in the morning... the "hot" food was pretty cool on the buffet. Two pans completely empty the entire time we were eating, and the service was pretty atrocious. I would recommend walking right up the street and hitting up the Silver Spoon Cafe, which is really good food for a much cheaper price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tyler M,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza. I'm glad you had an overall good experience. We're very sorry that you were disappointed with breakfast service in the restaurant and we have shared your comment with our culinary team so we can do a better job.

The next time you travel to Kansas City, we hope you'll be our guest again.

Thank you !
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a very nice one night stay here. We were upgraded to a suite when checking in which was very roomy. As a Platinum Priority Club member we had access to the executive lounge and really enjoyed the complimentary drinks in the evening and breakfast in the morning in the lounge. The staff was very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ksav8r,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza Downtown. I'm glad to hear you found our location to be excellent and you enjoyed one of our suites as well as the executive lounge.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This does not seem to be up to Crowne Plaza standards. Room was very tired and run-down looking. Also, there was hair on the bathroom ceiling- makes you wonder what else hasn't been cleaned. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Pillows were too hard and make sleep difficult and I awoke with a back and neck ache.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear KAF32082,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. We're sorry we didn't meet your expectations. I have discussed your review with our team so we can do a better job. I'm glad to hear you found the front desk staff friendly and helpful during your stay.

We look forward to having you back as our guest again.

Ankeny, IA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 3 nights on an April business trip. The hotel is nicely located a short walk from the Power and Light District which features many different bars and restaurants. Although jammed into a number of buildings, it is on a lightly traveled street with easy access to the front door.

The valet service is excellent, and for only $4 additional per day, it is well worth the money. Friendly guys with suggestions on where to go.

The hotel is neat and clean. Front desk service was cordial and efficient. The Starbucks in the lobby hit the spot every morning. Overall the hotel was very neat and clean.

However, all those good things being said, the room sizes are clearly out of th 70's! The distance between the bed and the dresser does not allow room for 2 people to pass each other. The desk chair does not slide under the desk , compounding the problem.

The bathroom is tighter than the bedroom. The 30" wide vanity has little room for much more than a toothbrush.

Once in bed, the drapes darken the room, the air unit worked fine, the bed was comfortable. But.....because of the small rooms we would not stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear smgharley,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. You can't get any closer to what's happening downtown than our location, I appreciate you recognizing our valet team and our front desk associates and I'm happy to hear that Starbucks hit the spot every morning of your stay and that the property was neat and clean.

On your next visit, ask about an upgrade to one of our suites, as they are twice the size as a regular room.

Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here because of the rate offered by AAA at the time of the Ice Breaker tournament, we had a nice stay in our room and enjoyed having a elevator that went from the parking garage to our floor. But the following morning we felt a bit rushed because when checking in we did not get the vouchers we were suppose to get for the breakfast that was included in our rate and not only did my boyfriend and I have to try and see the front desk clerk about it but even our waitress had to help us out...management I filled out one of your surveys that was sent to me via email with more on this trip back in october on the 16th or so...needless to say we might or might not use you next time when visiting family in the area.

Room Tip: get a higher floor so not so close to the garage and you might also get a great view of the power an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear whs2003,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad to hear you had a nice stay. I apologize for the mix up on the breakfast vouchers and I'm glad that we were able to get that worked out.

We look forward to having you back as our guest again, the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

somewhere in their descriptors it says "refurbished"...this may be true, but certainly not in the last several years. even the front door sticks, the interior is depressing, the breakfasts bland, and althugh the staff are pleasant they managed to get my simple invoice wrong, twice. very poor showing for a decent brand.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade to a suite....these are pleasantly spacious, if dull in style
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear doug s,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad to hear you found our associates pleasant and our suites spacious. I apologize about your bill being incorrect and I have shared your other comments with our team.

Thank you!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown? Share your experiences!