“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Clay Center, Kansas
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the NCAA basketball tourny. This hotel is within walking distance of the sprint center and the power and light district. Our stay here was very short and the hotel is average. We had a king suite and the room was nice. The bed was comfortable and the room was pretty clean. We were given a handicapped room which was fine but we did not ask for it. The toilet made a horrible, very loud, humming noise everytime it was flushed and the sink in the bathroom dripped continously even though I repeatedly tried to turn it off. The view from the room was nice and would be really neat in the summer when the outdoor pool was open because it overlooked the pool. Valet parking was great and our vehicle was retrieved very quickly! It's a nice place to stay but not worth the over $250 we paid for the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear laura21496,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City. I'm glad to hear you found your suite nice, the bed comfortable and the room clean as well as the nice view and great valet parking. I apologize for the toilet noise and the dripping sink; I would have hoped you would have let us know, so we could have taken care of that for you, during your stay. Our rates are very comparable in the downtown market during major sporting events. I'm sorry you didn't feel it was worth the money.

We hope that you will be our guest again the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was supposed to be business hotel quality. Although the hotel location is good for downtown amenities, the hotel experience was well below what I'd expect from a 4 star hotel. The decor was tired (and I Was even supposed to be in an executive room) and the customer service ranged from below average (check in) to complete indifference (the lobby bar / food and check out).

Try one of the other downtown hotels - I will be next time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Dave W,

Thank you for your review of your past stay here at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza. Hearing from our guests helps us provide the best experience possible. I am very sorry we didn't meet your expectations and I would be interested to hear any details about your stay you may want to express. I can be reached at jwynn@thehotelgroup.com or by contacting the hotel directly.

Timbuktu, Mali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had been booked in a neighboring hotel & experienced many, many problems. We were able to check out of there, as someone in our party found us rooms at the Crowne Plaza, for even less than we had spent on a teeny-tiny, old room at the other place.
We felt as though we had stepped into heaven upon stepping into our room. It was huge, new, clean & had a beautiful view overlooking the city and a sunset, We were treated to a wonderful breakfast in the mornings and a cocktail hour in the evenings, after acquiring access to the concierge level.
Great service, great room, great price, & Starbucks in the hotel, not much more to say, except stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for the city view with a sunset
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear kjm1164,

Thank you for the great comments about our hotel. I'm glad you were able to enjoy all the amenities we have to offer. The next time you travel to Kansas City, we hope we will be your first choice.

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Worst hotel I have stayed at in awhile. Location is good. For two days a bag of dirty towels was left in hall along with a microwave. Restaurant was overwhelmed at breakfast so that chef had to come out and help. Breakfast buffet was cold and items were depleted and not refilled. Noisy. Decor was tired. I will not return.

I travel about 40 days per year for work and pleasure. This was by far my worst experience in a few years.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Hmm1960,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We're very sorry we did not meet your expectations. I have shared your comments with our management team so we can do a better job with the items you mentioned.

The next time you're in Kansas City, we hope you will come back and see the changes we have made and tell us what you think.

Fayetteville, AR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stay at the Crowne Plaza every trip I make to KC. The location is unbeatable, just a short 5 minute 2 block walk to the Sprint Center and Power and Light. The beds are OUTSTANDING Sleep Number beds! One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. Also serves great views of the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jacob S,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City. You can't beat our location or the views of the city. I'm glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay and we look forward to having you back as our guest again the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The great view was my favorite part of this hotel. Yes, the rooms were a bit hotel dated, but it was not awful or 80's or anything. They were clean, the bed & sheets were great & it was quiet. The entry was nice & the room service food was good as well. I really thought that aside from the view/windows that the next best thing here was the friendly staff. They really seemed caring & I felt that they tried to be friendly even on my short stay there. My third like on this hotel is the location- it is really easy to get to downtown areas by car or walking from here & also easy to get on the highways. Not a bad choice at all for a business traveller or a group/couple coming in town for a weekend of fun- I would return if the opportunity came up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Keleeisenhauer,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City. I'm glad you enjoyed the great views from the hotel. I have shared your comments about the cleanliness of your room and the friendliness of the staff with everyone, they always like to hear that our guests are happy with our service.

We look forward to having you as our guest again the next time you travel to Kansas City.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was recently in KC for a conference and was able to get a room at this hotel at the conference rates. I have stayed at other Crowne Plaza hotels and this one is pretty good. While the hotel is older, the rooms look like they have undergone a recent renovation.

I was upgraded to a King Suite which was nice. The rooms were very large as expected for a suite. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was decent size. I liked that the sink and the shower/toilet were separate which helps if you are traveling with others.

Location is great as it's close to Power and Light and only a block from the Convention Center.

Unlike some other reviewers, I had a great experience with the staff. Everyone was nice and friendly and provided me with great service. I chalked it up to Midwest hospitality!

So why not a 5 star review? Like some other reviewers, the noise from the heater/ac unit is very loud. So loud it wakes you up in the middle of the night when it comes on - if you are a light sleeper this will be an issue. Bring earplugs. I was also suprised that for as cold as it gets in KC during the winter, they don't have down comforters or thicker blankets on the beds...very strange. Also, the shower is in need of a major clean up or renovation. I saw mold (or what looked like mold) around the edges of the shower and in the grout of the tiling.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear lucidlilies,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Kansas City. I know you have many choices when it comes to places to stay and we were glad to have you as our guest. It's good to hear you enjoyed one of our King Suites and found our new beds comfortable and liked the size of our bathrooms. I have shared your comments about the heater and bathroom with my Chief Engineer to look into.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel to the Kansas City area.

Thank you!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown? Share your experiences!