“A smokey, no frills stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza

You added Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4535 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64111 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #66 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Minneapolis, MN
“A smokey, no frills stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The location of this property is great, right in the mix of all that the plaza has to offer. There was ample free parking and the woman at the front desk was cheerful and pleasant.

My room was on the second floor and as soon as I got off of the elevator, the smell of smoke hit me. As I walked down the long hall to my room the smell just got stronger.

When I got into the room, the smell of stale smoke was evident everywhere. There were also two ashtrays in the room letting me know that I had gotten a smoking room. When you get on Homestead's website they do warn you that you cannot be guaranteed a non smoking (or smoking) room. So, I knew upfront that there was a chance I would be stuck in a smoking room.

The room and general areas are dated and show signs of wear and tear, but are generally clean.

The room is decent sized and has a full kitchen. As with most extended stay properties, the amenties are very few. Two towels in the bathroom, two pillows on the bed and the cheapest fixtures and furnishings you could imagine. Everything in this place is geared to save a buck. Housekeeping comes by once a week unless you pay for more.

There was a nice flat panel TV that was a departure from the overall cheapness of the property however.

For the most part, the property was very quiet. That was good because sometimes these cheap extended stay places are havens for druggies, pimps, and prostitutes.

I rated it as average. At $44 a night I felt I got what I paid for. All I would say is that if being in a smokey facility or room would bother you, don't book at a Homestead.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Kansas City - Country Club Plaza. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as non-smoking. It should never be the case that a guest who requests a non-smoking room is placed in a smoking room when the preferred room type is available. In response to your comments, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out how such an experience occurred and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

The front desk had to go up and check to see if our room was ready, she came back and said probably 10 more min to have a seat, IN THE HALLWAY! There is no lobby. Waited over 20 min, she finally remembered we were sitting there and said that we could go check if it was ready. We were given a half piece of torn paper with their policies, $3 per day for new towels, $5 per day to make the bed too!!! The room is very dated, the bathtub caulk is full of mold, the toilet had a hard time flushing, the sink was fully clogged and about to over flow while brushing my teeth, the sink drain was rusty, no tissues, no soap, no shampoo, the tv had bad reception I had to pull out the dresser and fix it. Bad move,what I found behind the dresser is beyond words! The bed was the hardest I'd ever slept on. Our room was next to the entrance and we could hear the door slamming all night and early morning. For over $100 a night this was unbelievable, I've stayed in better hotels that were $39 a night. I don't know how anyone could give this dump a good review

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Teresa,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Kansas City - Country Club Plaza. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Springfield, mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I'm in KC every week or two for business and have lost count how many nights I have stayed here. Staff is always outstanding and responsive. Wifi is a must for what I do - it's free. If I want to eat out or entertainment the plaza is a couple of blocks away. If I don't feel like eating out the rooms have a fridge, stove, microwave, pots, pans & utensils. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. Another important factor for me is whether concentrating on work or sleeping the noise level is always minimal. In the 6+ months I have been staying there I have never had a bad experience. If you want the latest greatest over-priced place to stay they are down the road. This facility is consistently friendly, clean, comfortable, and my preference when in KC.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Seattle WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Location is optimal if you are going to the two art museums (Nelson Atkins, Kemper) or the best shopping/dining area in the city (County Club Plaza), within walking distance. Access to the free parking is easy.

My stay was quiet and uneventful. Free Wifi was a plus, the room was clean. Flat screen TV and an easy chair. Wish the reading light was a little better in the chair.

Did not use the kitchen, as no utensils are included, but the coffee maker, MW oven, refrig are nice to have. Towels were included in the bathroom.

Property is dated with wear and tear, but for the price ($50 Priceline Bid, plus tax) it was truly just fine, and then some!

Main hall had that old apartment house odor, but once in the room it was gone. Operable window, view into tree. Front desk staff was professional and friendly. I would have stayed more than one night, but Priceline would not let me extend for the same rate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Grant,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room and location. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory due to the property being “dated.” For that I am truly sorry.

Augusta, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We have stayed at Homestead Inn in Kansas City several times. Our daughter has had many surgeries at St. Lukes hospital, it is always very stressful. It is wonderful to have a place like homestead Inn who not only discounts our stay, but makes for an enjoyable place to unwind. The rooms are very pleasent and well equipped and roomy. The staff has always been pleasant and easy to work with even with changes in our plans. With full size refrigerator and kitchen we have the options of making meals and not have the extra cost of outside meals. The rooms have always been clean and comfortably furnished.The proximity to the Plaza is a plus if entertainment is your goal. For pleasure or neccessity I would recommend this Inn for a nice no frills stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Very satisfied with our stay. Employees did not disturb us and fulfilled requests promptly and respectfully. I will definitely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Great location, great place to stay when vacationing with friends or family.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza? Share your experiences!