“Go for the breakfast!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Emporia, Kansas
“Go for the breakfast!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Rooms were okay. Breakfast was definitely the reason people stay here. Hallways leave a lot to be desired as they were deteriorating. This is clearly a hotel from days ago that needs some much needed attention to improve, which as others have stated would be astronomical in price to restore. The beds were comfortable, the staff were friendly (with a very homey sort of feel), and the food was excellent. Can't recall what we had ordered but do recall it being worth the entire stay. We stay at many B&Bs and while this one was not the best, both the bed and breakfast were good. The remainder of the establishment leaves some to be desired but we appreciate those attempting to restore old properties which would otherwise go unloved.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I spend an evening at Hotel Savoy B&B. The hotel was last remodeled in the mid-1990s. The decor still looks like that period of time. We stayed in the Queen Victorian Suite. The two-room suite was very spacious. The queen four-poster bed had stained glass in the bed frame, along with a flowery wall paper that dominated both rooms. The two bathrooms were functional, but the fixtures were rusted. The room was clean and quiet. You could tell the room had seen fancier times.

The breakfast was another story. They serve a cooked to order four course breakfast of your choice from a menu of around thirty options. Items on the menu included oyster stew, seafood bumbo, Coauille Saint-Jacques, baked oysters Rockefeller, kippers with scrambled eggs, three veal options, four pork options, two beef options and others. I had seafood gumbo (excellent), a made to order ham and swiss omelet (ecellent), breakfast potatoes and corn beef hash. My hash was a little disappointing as it had a strong green pepper presence. Just a taste difference. Everything else was fantastic. All breakfast is served with orange juice, coffe or tea and in an elegant, white-tablecloth setting. If you are a breakfast person, this is a great place for you.

Room Tip: We had a high floor room and it was very quiet. However, the entire hotel seemed pretty quiet to me...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Savoy for 7 nights in June 2014. I LOVED the hotel. It is NOT a typical BnB nor a typical hotel. The hotel is both shabby and beautiful at the same time. My room on the 4th floor was very clean. The furniture is old and somewhat put together piecemeal. That just added to the charm, to me. The bed was comfortable, but the one sheet and quilt were not quite enough for me. The bathroom was clean with plenty of towels, soap and shampoo. The tub was a little precarious. It was a very quite room. I did not hear a peep out of my neighbors. There were two window units and they kept the room quite cool. They were a little loud, but no louder than any other A/C unit in other hotels.

Now for the breakfast....OMG!! What a surprising treat every day. White table clothes, served on matched real dishes by waiters in white coats. Every dish I had was delicious. I had the lobster bisque, poached eggs, bacon, sausage, eggs benedict, English muffins, fresh fruit...all were wonderful. My favorite was the eggs benedict. The fruit was absolutely fresh and ice cold each time I had it....very refreshing. I did not care for the cinnamon rolls...they were pretty dry. As you eat, period music is playing and I swear I expected Paul Newman & Robert Redford from "The Sting" to walk in at any minute. It was a wonderful way to start the day!!

I hope to stay at the Hotel Savoy again next year, if I am selected to work in KC again next June.

Room Tip: I suggest a room on the 3rd or 5th floors as I was told by others the Wi-Fi was better on those floo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I'll preface my review by saying my husband and I travel quite a bit, are open to interesting experiences and enjoy settings with history. We research our travels and so pretty much knew what to expect of the Savoy. Obviously the Savoy was once a spectacular hotel, full of gorgeous stained glass, woodwork and beautiful tile motifs in the lobby, dining areas and public rooms. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean though the flowered wallpaper and lace curtains are somewhat overpowering. Our suite featured a covered wagon bed complete with a curved canvas canopy and wagon wheels! (I am not kidding) Unfortunately the entire building has been neglected for so long the cost of renovating to modern standards would be astronomical. It is tired and old and even the renovated areas seem to feel their decline toward demolition. Perhaps some savvy developer could salvage the gorgeous architectural elements and repurpose them in a new building as it would be a shame to lose them. I reiterate that our room was clean and reasonably comfortable and parking was free.

Skip the breakfast. They can't even make eggs worth eating and eggs are pretty hard to mess up. Enjoy a drink at the Savoy Grill and soak up the historical ambiance but don't waste your money eating there. Kansas City has many other fine eating establishments where you'll spend the same or less for much, much better food. I will say that the wait staff work very hard to provide old world white jacket service but the food is downright awful and does them great discredit.

We stayed 3 nights and our overall experience was fine. We would not purposely book a room at the Savoy again should it still be in business the next time we visit KC.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I know not everyone experiences it... BUT, when we were there (which was February 14, 2007 - the dates don't go any earlier in the form), the creep factor was definitely present from the moment we entered the establishment. We stayed on the 5th Floor, and in the same hallway as the Infamous Room 502 (without any knowledge of its history.) When we realized that the "Suite" booking did not mean "Renovated Room", we went downstairs and changed our "Salvation Army" furnished room to one of the center hallway locations - still on the same floor, yet still with a shabby touch here and there - some tattered fabric hanging from the lampshade, that "too deep" sinking feeling when sitting in one of the old leather arm chairs. Keep in mind, we were not aware of any of the history. My husband located this property on the internet, and thought it would be very nice. His expectations were for that lovely 6th floor suite that was pictured. When we changed rooms, however, we both felt better. When we came back to the hotel after dinner, however, my husband tried to take a shower but could not get the water to flow or any warm water at all. He finally gave up - disappointed - and went to bed. When I was through on the phone, I went into the bathroom to get ready for bed myself, but while I was looking at the lovely old footed tub and shower curtain, a picture of a dead body with skinny arms and legs sticking out of the tub flashed in my eyes. It was like a movie - and it froze me. I knew in an instant that someone had died in that tub. I left the bathroom shaken and got into bed. I laid there still - quiet - eyes wide open and staring at the ceiling. My husband felt horrible. Here this was supposed to be a special night, but the water wouldn't work and he thought I must be upset. I was just scared out of my wits and didn't know how to tell him. He said we could leave, but I couldn't move - I felt bad and just didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. He did not know that I was scared to death. Time ticked by in silence. Then suddenly there were voices yelling, and what sounded like boxes being knocked around upstairs briefly (my husband did not hear these sounds) - and then again, silence. Somehow my thoughts eventually quieted, and I ended up in sleep. I awoke to the sun shining, to a completely different feeling in the room. My husband was up and dressed, and I was able to take a nice hot shower - very refreshing, in fact. We enjoyed our breakfast, but for the few other couples that were there for that Valentine's date, most of the women had the same look on their face as I did - "Where are we?" It was a couple of days later that I decided to check online to see if there was any information about the haunting of the Savoy... and I was rewarded with some very interesting revelations... multiple ghosts make their presence known, evidently, one of which - and on the 5th floor - died in her bathtub. The report stated that guests still experience the shower curtain being pulled back, or the water not working, or only cold water from the faucet... double creepies. Thank you, Betsy Ward, for welcoming us into your world. We had such an experience, we didn't know quite what to think, and really hope it cannot be topped.

Room Tip: Our visit was 2/14/2007 - there MAY have been changes, but I was told by a building tech that money...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The best thing about this place was the first guy we met at the front desk, who was very nice when checking us in. We were told the restaurant was open until 9? and we had gotten lost for the first time so we were tired and hungry. We made it to the restaurant at about 8:50-8:55, crossing our fingers we could at least order something to go. The blonde lady working as a hostess was incredibly rude to us, and with a snide look told us they were closed.
Soon I started to feel nauseous, as if there was not proper air circulation. I understand old places are not suppose to be perfect but paying that for rooms so gross is just a rip off. This place has some really bad, creepy vibes overall. I'm OK with the creepy part (although if the people restoring the place really want it to be nice, I would recommend hiring an exorcist after remodeling), but not along with nasty rooms and not feeling safe-on the 4th floor, that looked half dilapidated. I am amazed this place is still in business, and disappointed and shocked at the amount we were charged to stay here. We ended up checking out at about 1am, neither one of us felt like we could get any rest here. There was a different guy at the desk who didn't notice we were there for about 15 minutes...We told him we were checking out and he looked at me and said "you feeling sick?...ok." which personally I found odd. He did not even ask any questions after that. This place could be very nice with proper restoration and cleansing/cleaning in general.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 4th Floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife and I were a bit dubious about staying at Hotel Savoy. We're in KC every once in a while, and have stayed at the Marriott and Hotel Philips, a few blocks away. We had had a look around at the Savoy on a previous visit, and were dubious but figured we would give it a try. For the most part, we enjoyed the place. It would be good for the owners to put more effort into first impressions. The entry and the front desk are shabby. The Marriott it ain't. And both the creaky stairs and the elevator are from a gone-by era. But the spacious, nicely appointed hallway leading to our suite was inviting. The tall door--the lock operated by a brass key (remember those)--led to a suite with a spacious sitting room, a well-appointed bedroom and 1.5 baths. The carpet and wallpaper are from a couple generations back but the place was clean. Bathrooms, with old fixtures that show their age, were squeaky clean. The bed--certainly not a pillow-top--was nevertheless comfortable. We slept well. The price, which some seem to think is too high for such a place, seems reasonable to us. Parking is free (what other downtown hotel offers free parking). Breakfast--served in a historic dining room on linen, silver, china, and crystal--is ordered off an extensive menu, and is served quickly when ordered the night before. Ours was excellent both mornings. We like things a little outside the mainstream. Some people don't. If you're expecting the Hilton by all means go to the Hilton and have a nice time. But if you don't demand that everything be state of the art, Hotel Savoy is worth a look.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!