“Great historic hotel downtown - historic being the operative word.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast
219 W. Ninth Street, Kansas City, MO 64105   |
Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
wichita, kansas
“Great historic hotel downtown - historic being the operative word.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a neat historic hotel that has not changed some of the original features from the early 1900's. I liked the weird entrance and lobby and odd route to the elevator. The front desk clerk when we checked in seemed a little confused but got the job done. The elevator would be the only scary thing since it was cramped and hot. I thought that the hot hallways added to the historicness of the hotel since this was how it would have been for travelers back in the late 1800/early 1900s. Cons to the experience were the room was a little musty smelling, the TV was small and the hallways open to unfinished parts of the hotel (actually a bit fascinating). However, the food was great. It was fun to try lobster bisque, meat crab crepes, and sauteed lamb with artichoke. The omelet, eggs benedict and medallion of beef were delicious. The food and the quirkiness of a historic hotel made it a fun place to stay.
It is in a great location for downtown nightlife and felt safe to walk around downtown. It was close to the farmers market and other downtown attractions as well. The food was very interesting and tasty. I was so full from breakfast I had to skip lunch and barely ate anything at dinner. This is not a squeaky clean, shinny upgraded hotel by any stretch of the imagination, it is a historic hotel with unique features and food. Go with that mindset and you will enjoy the experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a "romantic" Valentines getaway to KC. The place was scary. So much work to be done. The furniture looked like it was straight out of a creepy old bachelor uncles house. The place is falling apart. I wanted to love it, but there was just something not right. I could never recommend this. We had dinner in the hotel downstairs and the food was also pretty bad. I got a seafood sampler and it was almost inedible.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
From the Midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Creepy and decrepit - not welcoming at all. No welcoming entrance, just a smelly, dark hallway with a bunch of confusing doors to get to lobby with stained glass dome. Lobby clerk had his back to us and was more interested in watching t.v. than getting us checked in. The halls were very, very hot. Hotel decor peeling and torn in many places. Unfinished portions of hotel are not closed off. Unnerving that our room was a few steps from a tattered hallway with peeled wallpaper, torn carpet and boarded-up rooms. Our room, with stained and burned carpet, reeked of cigarettes and mildew. Staying one night made our clothes and bags smell throughout the trip. I had to perfume all of our clothes. We woke several times to a very loud a/c unit. Garage-sale furniture has no theme, is burned, scuffed and stained. Sheets were not fitted and exposed the mattress overnight. Breakfast was terrible. Lobster in bisque was smelly and shredded from being old, freezer-burnt and/or over-cooked. Benedict was over-powered by mustard. Lamb steak was tough, gamey and unseasoned. Fresh fruit had rotting spots that we cut off and removed to eat. Cream had chunks floating in it. "Fresh baked" cinnamon rolls were hard and stale.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Savoy and loved it. Perfect location with awesome charm and history! For just over $100 we stayed the night and had a fabulous breakfast. Were able to sample many items we wouldn't normally order and it was great. The 1:00 checkout allowed us to head north and stroll through the great City Market area. Hope they are able to keep this historic hotel open for many years, we will be returning for sure!

• Stayed August 2013
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at the Savoy for the Junior National Trampoline and Tumbling Competitions, and two other families with athletes also stayed there at our recommendation. We stayed at the Savoy for nine nights!!

We loved staying at the Savoy! It is a wonderful old-fashioned hotel. By this, I mean that by staying in it, you can easily imagine living back in time because of the beautiful stained glass lobby and breakfast rooms, the bedrooms and baths with antique furniture, bathtubs, lights. We also decided to stay at the Savoy because of its reputation for being haunted. While we did not see any ghosts, we had fun telling other team athletes about the "haunted past" that the Hotel Savoy enjoyed!

The breakfasts are THE BEST!! When we arrived at the hotel, one of the other athletes, who had arrived the day before, told us, "They have the best food!" When I asked her what she ate, she said, "The potatoes!!" "Did you have anything else?" I asked and she replied, "No, but these were the BEST!!" And they were! It was as if they had parboiled the potatoes before sauteing them to crisp them up!

You choose among a wide assortment of items from the Savoy Restaurant menu, including soups, chowders, baked scrod, medallions of beef, as well as traditional breakfast foods such as eggs (any style, including Eggs Benedict), cereals, seasonal fruits. And, their Cinnamon Rolls are to die for!! These are baked fresh, from scratch, every morning!

The service is OUTSTANDING!!! While the breakfast staff was exemplary, one of the servers -- John -- went out of his way to make us at home. I am lactose intolerant; John bought soy milk for me on his way into the hotel so I could have it with my coffee and cereal. Even though their Eggs Benedict was fine, my husband asked John if the chef could make this with smoked salmon instead of Canadian bacon. John made it happen! When my son, who is a picky eater, showed particular interest in the strawberries on his fruit plate, John made it a point to give him only strawberries (to my son's delight)! Learning how much my husband enjoyed his cinnamon rolls, John would bag up a couple so he could enjoy them during the Trampoline Competition! John also took us on a tour of the old Savoy Grille (opened in 1903), showed us the wonderful murals painted by Edward Holslag, and let us sit in Booth #4 where President Harry S. Truman and his wife, Bess, used to dine.

John, as well as the wonderful staff at the Front Desk, also gave us ideas about where to have dinner in the area. Downtown Kansas City pretty much shuts down after 5 PM when the office workers go home to the suburbs, so it's hard to find good, inexpensive, family restaurants. But, thanks to the staff at the Savoy, we found them!!

We would love to give the Hotel a rating of 5, but the reason we did not was because of the poor wifi connection and some problems with air conditioning. Our room was on the 4th floor and we had difficulty getting anything but the weakest wifi connection. We also had room air conditioning vents instead of window units. When temperatures after the 4th of July reached the high 90's, the room wouldn't get cooler. We learned that the A/C had broken down. The staff quickly moved us to a suite closer to the stairwell. This had window air conditioners that kept us cool. We also had great wifi reception! So, if you need a stable wifi connection, you should request a room closer to the stairwell. If you stay there in the summer, ask for a room with window A/C units.

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and look forward to coming back! It was like home -- except better because of the wonderful people and setting!

Room Tip: In the summer, ask for a room with window A/C units. If you need wifi connection, request a room ne...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Frederick, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We came to the city for the weekend to attend a concert at the Sprint Center. I looked at properties within walking distance. This is one of the few in the area. It was certainly the most reasonable. After reading reviews we gave it a try!

Our first impression was hmmmmm hope the rooms are clean! The entry to the motel needs some TLC. Once you enter the main room however the transformation in attitude begins. Wood, stained glass abound. The desk staff, extremely friendly and helpful.

Our room was on the second floor. The only room room being used on that floor. In fact it appears the center of the motel on all 5 floors has been restored in the past 20 years or so. You go in either direction from there and it's a very different story. One side looks like rennovation has started and stopped, the other side hasn't seen anything for decades. So we are still a bit skeptical. When we stepped into our room, we were again encouraged. It was charming. Clean and complete. The bed was excellent. The AC worked, etc.

What really stole our hearts however was the staff! Wow! I have never felt so well taken care of and pampered. Friendly, courteous and very professional are just a few words to describe these folks. They go overboard to make sure you have what you need. The breakfasts (you get a list of choices to choose from) were out of this world. I'm wishing for some lobster bisque as write!. or is it the beef medalians? crab crepes? yup all served on white linens with waiters everywhere to keep your water and coffee filled!!!!

You do need to keep an open mind here since the building is old and in various states of repair and disrepair. But the areas you will use, are just great! The location is perfect. A couple block walk to the Power and light district, about 7/10 of a mile to Sprint Center.

I will definately return to KC and the Savoy again and again!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I just spent 4 nights at the Savoy and I was charmed beyond words. As a woman traveling alone for an annual business conference I have stayed in the Hilton Presidential ($190/nite) and The Marriott ($180/nite) and I was looking for something close to Bartle Hall and the convention center. It was through Trip-advisor that I discovered this off the beaten path wonder. A word of warning if you're looking for sleek new spotless accommodations this isn't for you. There is no pool and no shuttle. That said if you love historical buildings, genuine staff and having a sense that your standing in another time you'll love this place. The moment I walked into the lobby I felt like I stepped into a 1930s gangster movie, it's truly gorgeous with tiled floors, a vintage dining room, velvet arm chairs and a gorgeous glass ceiling dome. The front windows are glorious old stained glass and the staff is very personable and friendly. I was the only person in line to check in (yay! Past years have I've had as many as 30 in front of me at other hotels). My room $109 night included a bedroom a large bath with claw footed tub and a living room that closed off from the bedroom with wood French doors. Bed was queen sized and quite comfy. Television was an older tube style but I didn't care I watch very little tv when traveling. Had a coffee pot that I used daily and free snacks in room. Probably the most spectacular part was daily breakfast which you selected from an extensive menu and turned in by 10 pm the night before. Extensive is an understatement in that it included all normal breakfast options (eggs, omelets, pancakes, fruit etc) there was also a soup section including lobster bisque, and 6 or 7 meat sections each containing 3 choices (beef, chicken , veal, seafood etc) yes this was breakfast and yes it's included with room. Everything is made to order and includes fresh squeezed orange juice. I had breakfast there each day waited on by delightful staff and it held me through until dinner. Also discovered the Quality Hill YMCA ( thanks to desk staff) was about 5 blocks away and certainly needed it after these breakfasts. I love this place and will most certainly come back next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!