“It was like home!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
“It was like home!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at the Savoy for the Junior National Trampoline and Tumbling Competitions, and two other families with athletes also stayed there at our recommendation. We stayed at the Savoy for nine nights!!

We loved staying at the Savoy! It is a wonderful old-fashioned hotel. By this, I mean that by staying in it, you can easily imagine living back in time because of the beautiful stained glass lobby and breakfast rooms, the bedrooms and baths with antique furniture, bathtubs, lights. We also decided to stay at the Savoy because of its reputation for being haunted. While we did not see any ghosts, we had fun telling other team athletes about the "haunted past" that the Hotel Savoy enjoyed!

The breakfasts are THE BEST!! When we arrived at the hotel, one of the other athletes, who had arrived the day before, told us, "They have the best food!" When I asked her what she ate, she said, "The potatoes!!" "Did you have anything else?" I asked and she replied, "No, but these were the BEST!!" And they were! It was as if they had parboiled the potatoes before sauteing them to crisp them up!

You choose among a wide assortment of items from the Savoy Restaurant menu, including soups, chowders, baked scrod, medallions of beef, as well as traditional breakfast foods such as eggs (any style, including Eggs Benedict), cereals, seasonal fruits. And, their Cinnamon Rolls are to die for!! These are baked fresh, from scratch, every morning!

The service is OUTSTANDING!!! While the breakfast staff was exemplary, one of the servers -- John -- went out of his way to make us at home. I am lactose intolerant; John bought soy milk for me on his way into the hotel so I could have it with my coffee and cereal. Even though their Eggs Benedict was fine, my husband asked John if the chef could make this with smoked salmon instead of Canadian bacon. John made it happen! When my son, who is a picky eater, showed particular interest in the strawberries on his fruit plate, John made it a point to give him only strawberries (to my son's delight)! Learning how much my husband enjoyed his cinnamon rolls, John would bag up a couple so he could enjoy them during the Trampoline Competition! John also took us on a tour of the old Savoy Grille (opened in 1903), showed us the wonderful murals painted by Edward Holslag, and let us sit in Booth #4 where President Harry S. Truman and his wife, Bess, used to dine.

John, as well as the wonderful staff at the Front Desk, also gave us ideas about where to have dinner in the area. Downtown Kansas City pretty much shuts down after 5 PM when the office workers go home to the suburbs, so it's hard to find good, inexpensive, family restaurants. But, thanks to the staff at the Savoy, we found them!!

We would love to give the Hotel a rating of 5, but the reason we did not was because of the poor wifi connection and some problems with air conditioning. Our room was on the 4th floor and we had difficulty getting anything but the weakest wifi connection. We also had room air conditioning vents instead of window units. When temperatures after the 4th of July reached the high 90's, the room wouldn't get cooler. We learned that the A/C had broken down. The staff quickly moved us to a suite closer to the stairwell. This had window air conditioners that kept us cool. We also had great wifi reception! So, if you need a stable wifi connection, you should request a room closer to the stairwell. If you stay there in the summer, ask for a room with window A/C units.

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and look forward to coming back! It was like home -- except better because of the wonderful people and setting!

Room Tip: In the summer, ask for a room with window A/C units. If you need wifi connection, request a room ne...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Frederick, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We came to the city for the weekend to attend a concert at the Sprint Center. I looked at properties within walking distance. This is one of the few in the area. It was certainly the most reasonable. After reading reviews we gave it a try!

Our first impression was hmmmmm hope the rooms are clean! The entry to the motel needs some TLC. Once you enter the main room however the transformation in attitude begins. Wood, stained glass abound. The desk staff, extremely friendly and helpful.

Our room was on the second floor. The only room room being used on that floor. In fact it appears the center of the motel on all 5 floors has been restored in the past 20 years or so. You go in either direction from there and it's a very different story. One side looks like rennovation has started and stopped, the other side hasn't seen anything for decades. So we are still a bit skeptical. When we stepped into our room, we were again encouraged. It was charming. Clean and complete. The bed was excellent. The AC worked, etc.

What really stole our hearts however was the staff! Wow! I have never felt so well taken care of and pampered. Friendly, courteous and very professional are just a few words to describe these folks. They go overboard to make sure you have what you need. The breakfasts (you get a list of choices to choose from) were out of this world. I'm wishing for some lobster bisque as write!. or is it the beef medalians? crab crepes? yup all served on white linens with waiters everywhere to keep your water and coffee filled!!!!

You do need to keep an open mind here since the building is old and in various states of repair and disrepair. But the areas you will use, are just great! The location is perfect. A couple block walk to the Power and light district, about 7/10 of a mile to Sprint Center.

I will definately return to KC and the Savoy again and again!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I just spent 4 nights at the Savoy and I was charmed beyond words. As a woman traveling alone for an annual business conference I have stayed in the Hilton Presidential ($190/nite) and The Marriott ($180/nite) and I was looking for something close to Bartle Hall and the convention center. It was through Trip-advisor that I discovered this off the beaten path wonder. A word of warning if you're looking for sleek new spotless accommodations this isn't for you. There is no pool and no shuttle. That said if you love historical buildings, genuine staff and having a sense that your standing in another time you'll love this place. The moment I walked into the lobby I felt like I stepped into a 1930s gangster movie, it's truly gorgeous with tiled floors, a vintage dining room, velvet arm chairs and a gorgeous glass ceiling dome. The front windows are glorious old stained glass and the staff is very personable and friendly. I was the only person in line to check in (yay! Past years have I've had as many as 30 in front of me at other hotels). My room $109 night included a bedroom a large bath with claw footed tub and a living room that closed off from the bedroom with wood French doors. Bed was queen sized and quite comfy. Television was an older tube style but I didn't care I watch very little tv when traveling. Had a coffee pot that I used daily and free snacks in room. Probably the most spectacular part was daily breakfast which you selected from an extensive menu and turned in by 10 pm the night before. Extensive is an understatement in that it included all normal breakfast options (eggs, omelets, pancakes, fruit etc) there was also a soup section including lobster bisque, and 6 or 7 meat sections each containing 3 choices (beef, chicken , veal, seafood etc) yes this was breakfast and yes it's included with room. Everything is made to order and includes fresh squeezed orange juice. I had breakfast there each day waited on by delightful staff and it held me through until dinner. Also discovered the Quality Hill YMCA ( thanks to desk staff) was about 5 blocks away and certainly needed it after these breakfasts. I love this place and will most certainly come back next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you've ever seen a scary movie that takes place in a hotel, then you've seen this hotel. I love older buildings and the history behind them but this place was falling apart. It was ashame because I could tell that it was beautiful at one point but not anymore. The owner must not be able to afford to repair the old building. The room was dirty. We found a long stray hair in the sheets. The rooms smelled moldy. There was wallpaper peeling off, which needed to be removed. The staff was great and so was the food. But ended up leaving early and lied awake all night. Until the place is cleaned and repaired I would not stay there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OBX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

If you enjoy nice staff, incredible breakfasts and a unique hotel, this is the place for you. It is only three blocks from the convention center. At night the streets are vacated, so I took a cab back in the evening. You may not like it, if you are picky and want perfection. The rooms are clean, Victorian, some renovated and some not. The building is art deco and built in the 1800s. Construction is ongoing but did not interfere with my stay. It is a little spooky, since not many rooms were occupied, but the other benefits outweighed any concerns. I loved it and was very glad I stayed at Hotel Savoy. I would stay there again if in downtown KC. The Savoy Grill is an incredible place for dinner. Breakfasts were awesome, including: lobster bisque, smoked salmon, fruit plates, cinnamon buns, crab crepes, eggs benedict, oyster Rockefeller and more.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the most recently renovated rooms. If you get spooked easily, as for a floor with th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manhattan, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is an experience of humankind. This hotel looks and smells of humans. This is the real thing of life. To walk the hallways and experience this hotel is to take you back to a time way, way before the time of the internet. Do not expect a expect a cookie cutter experience. Expect something very unique. And be opened minded. Is it haunted?, maybe. My wife and I didn't experience it (as the legend goes, the spirit exists on the 5th floor. that's where we stayed). I have had a paranormal experience in the past and I didn't sense it. The breakfast is very unique and we weren't disappointed. We loved it. Experience this hotel. It will not be here a lot longer. Sorry, things have changed and not always for the good. D. Etter.

Room Tip: and chose the remodeled rooms. well worth it. trust me.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Joplin, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I read all the reviews online, so I was prepared for the historic nature of the property. We checked in on the 4th of July. We were attending the fireworks display at Riverfest and this hotel was within walking distance of the shuttle to the park. Property was just as I hoped. Neat old building with original floor tiles and charm. We stayed in rm 342, giant king size bed and two comfortable chairs with wonderful air conditioning. The room didn't have a claw foot tub, I think they are all in the bigger rooms, but the bathroom was clean modern and nice. The parking lot is big and right next door to the hotel and free. Everyone we encountered from the owners to the waiters who served us a wonderful breakfast was so nice. The breakfast was delicious and I felt like I was on a cruise ship with white jacketed waiters bringing me my food on nice china with real napkins. Rm 342 is on the front of the hotel and had quite a bit of light from the streetlights coming in the windows, so if you need absolute darkness to sleep ask for a room in the back of the hotel. It was also pretty bright in the am as well, not a problem for us, but maybe for some. Overall extremely satisfied and would go again in a heartbeat.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!