“Room 502 is Haunted” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reno, Nevada, United States
“Room 502 is Haunted”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was excited to stay at Hotel Savoy, being a total history geek. I was impressed with the first floor, especially the gorgeous windows and tile floors. I enjoyed reading the tidbits of history framed and put up in the first floor hallways, and I could just imagine enjoying a long weekend wearing 1920s clothes and taking pictures.

My room was #502. When I arrived, my friends and I joked about the hotel being haunted. I'm not sensitive to ghostly things, and was even hoping, "hey, maybe I'll finally have a ghost experience!"

Well, I got it. And that's the last time I'll ever wish for such a thing.

The room itself was dark and really rough around the edges. It was hot, not much air flow, but the bed was comfortable. The whole thing felt kindof creepy. By the end of my trip, I was dreading going back to the room. There was a lot of noise during the night - cars, horns, people yelling, the AC window units - so it was difficult to sleep - that and the angry ghost in the hallway next to the bed.

A note about the elevator - it does strange things. One of the days I stayed, it skipped floor 5 altogether, when going up, and would not come up to retrieve from any floor, when I needed to go down. I had to take the stairs down all day, though the elevator had no trouble going up to drop off at the various floors (except floor 5). It stopped its antics when I jokingly addressed it with, "hey creepy haunted elevator, come and get me." I clearly heard a little girl's voice say "thank you," followed by the elevator door opening - the first time it had done so all day. Of course, I was the only person around.

If you scare easily, don't stay here. I *don't* scare easily, and I don't think I will stay here again. If you're looking for a supernatural experience, room 502 is for you (505 is a permanent residence, so it's unavailable). The hotel staff won't say anything about it, as the owner doesn't want it to scare customers away. Just be aware.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms first. If you get any weird feelings, ask for another room. Some have been re...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Aberdeen, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel is different. Not new and shiny. But old and classic. Very nice staff. Lobby was vintage 1910. Hey, I enjoyed that. Great location. Room was quiet. Excellent amount of space. Nice bed. Good shower water pressure. Ok, the window blinds were slightly broken and the tub was peeling. Breakfast was included in the room price and awesome, although earliest time to eat was 7am. Parking right next to the hotel. Safe enough downtown neighborhood. No gym. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mount Morris, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked this hotel because of it's rich history. I along with two other business partners were in town for a convention and because it was near the convention hall and had such charm I decided to try it. The rooms were magnificent with 10 foot ceilings, beautiful crown moldings, claw foot bathtub, wood floors, coffee nook and beautiful living area, not to mention the bedroom with the king size four posted bed. The living room had a couch that folded out to sleep two also. At the coffee nook there were china coffee cups with saucers and three little bottles of bailey's Irish Creme set out for us every morning. Breakfast was complimentary every morning at the famous Savoy Grill downstairs. We chose our breakfast from a long list of foods which included my favorite "lobster bisque". The architecture and furnishings in the lobby as well as the room we were in were period pieces. The staff were courteous and well informed as to the rich history of the hotel. They told us of the celebrities that had stayed there as well as a movie made on the premises with Paul Newman. We were envied by everyone at the convention when we told them about our room and the hotel.

Room Tip: The more people you have the bigger the suite!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I'm glad so many trip advisor travelers have had good stays at this hotel.

We stopped in to see if we should book a room. The entire lower floor, lobby area, breakfast room etc. smelled strongly of urine/must/mold. I felt like I was in a nursing home. It just smelled horrible. The people working there were nice, and welcoming. One woman showed us around; when she learned of my interest in KC history and the railroad, she encouraged me to talk to the gentleman in the dining room. Unfortunately he was sound asleep in one of the booths.

I'm sure some of the renovated suites are nice, but so much of the hotel is decrepit and in disrepair with crumbling plaster and hanging wires, etc. Did not feel comfortable with staying here. I am always looking for history and atmosphere, but only with some semblance of safety and cleanliness which I definitely didn't find at the Savoy. To be honest, the bottom line for me was that I just couldn't get past the horrible urine stench.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We just stayed at the Hotel Savoy B&B over the Memorial Day weekend. We appreciated the character of the property but were a little put off by the condition of the entrance and the fact that our first room leaked during a violent rain storm. The staff, however, were very accomodating and upgraded us to a suite that was lovely.
The breakfast menu offered interesting, even quirky, choices which were well-prepared.
The location and free parking are a great feature, all the ususal tourist areas like Westport, the Plaza and The Power and LIght District are not too far away. An old KC jazz club, The Phoenix, is just a block away on Scamp Alley.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lubbock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Savoy BB for three nights. It is definitely not a luxury hotel. It is very old! I will say to read the reviews, and go in with your eyes open. If you are not prepared, you certainely will not enjoy it!

The good: The people were fantastic. VERY friendly, accomidating, felt like home. The room was clean. The BREAKFAST WOW! The area was within walking distance to downtown, and beyond. I am a runner, and would run early in the morning. I felt very safe in the area.

The bad: The furnishings were antiquated, but sufficient! The elevator takes a while, is small, and makes funny noises. I chose to use the stairs!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Shocked. Yes, that was kind of our initial reaction as we approached the hotel we had reserved, the Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast. The entrance, it seems it hasn't changed in a hundred years. It doesn't even seem like an entrance to a hotel. The lobby hasn't changed much either, I'm certain. What have I gotten us into???

The answer is - to a very unique lodging experience which was special, although not modern by any strectch of the imagination. Beware, if you have an elevator phobia, this is not the place for you. The single elevator is somewhat small and very slow. Yet, it delivered us safely to and from the sixth floor. I must say, we were always relieved each time the elevator door popped open, after brief hesitation upon reaching the selected floor.

We had a larger room, the one with the bath and a half. The wall paper style - old. Assorted items of furniture - antique. The claw tub - clawed. The flat screen television hanging on the wall - out of place.

Breakfast was good, but they could be more generous with the size of some of the portions, and the number of selections allowed. But the breakfast room itself is incredible, and almost worth the trip alone. Although we did not eat in the restaurant, we walked around the empty dining rooms in the morning and they were splendid. A staff member even took our photo seated at Harry Truman's favorite booth. The old photos and artifacts displayed on the walls downstairs are fascinating.

So what we got ourselves into was a very special experience. A good lodging decision. Honestly, should we return to Kansas City, which we would like to, we probably would not stay here again, but I understand why certain guests have expressed how they have returned, or plan to return, time and time again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!