“Ecclectic- Love it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Longboat Key, Florida
“Ecclectic- Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Old, mysterious and a favorite place of mine. I had lamb chops every breakfast, and slep like a queen in my huge room with the enormous windows open. That said, my husband would hate it- he likes sleek and new. There is something so intiguing about this place. If you are expecting Holiday Inn, forget it. if you want to go back in time- enjoy!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had the worse night sleep whilst staying at this hotel. The floors creaked, the pipes made clanking noises to loud to be ignored behind the bed head, the gas heaters made loud hissing noises every hr or so, there was a constant loud dripping coming from a pipe i could not locate to turn off and to add to all this the loud horns on the trains that were being used at all hours of the night ensured you woke from whatever shallow sleep you were in.
The room was fractionally acceptable but i slept fully clothed not wanting to get under the covers.
The windows are not double glazed therefore you hear everything from a conversation on the ground level to the bar music 2 blocks away.
The lobby was not tidy and the restaurant was unavailable for breakfast.
It got to a point of being so bad i contemplated leaving the hotel and going down the road to find another place for the night.
Im shocked that the rate for this place is so high!

Room Tip: I can only imagine rooms away from the street would be quieter but it still wont cancel out all the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
new jersy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary and I knew it was an older hotel, but it sounded intriguing. I reserved the deluxe Victorian suite. First, I was directed to an elevator that looked and sounded like it was on its last leg. After getting off the elevator I took the wrong turn and found myself in a hallway full of closed up, boarded up old rooms. Very spooky and scary. No wallpaper, just peeling plaster. When we got to our rom, we found a smelly, mauve carpeted suite containing a broken old sofa and several mismatched furnishings that looked as if they were purchased at GoodWill. There was a fake fireplace with some fake flowers in it, there was one television, but because the couch was broken, we could not sit on it. There was no TV in the bedroom, so we could not watch TV unless we sat on the floor. I explained this to the woman at front desk before I left and she just said, "Oh, I'm sorry."

Now for the good stuff. We had a very good dinner at the Savoy Grille which is a beautiful space. We loved the breakfast, which was served in a very nice dining room by friendly, helpful wait staff. The lobster bisque is the best I've ever tasted. Everything was perfection. Just too bad about the room. Old and quirky is god. Dirty and broken is bad.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaneohe, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed in the junior suite and it had alot of space to put our things and hang out for 3 nights. The breakfast was the best part and were served very promptly. The coffee was so good and eggs Benedict was super tasty with the grilled ham! Again, like others said, the steam heat was noisy. We did not know until the last night that it was haunted, but found no problems. Would stay again when back in town.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side of the hotel are more modern than the east
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The staff and food are amazing! The hotel holds so much history that you feel like you are back in time and I loved that! The first two days, we experienced a few haunting things that we could pass off as something else but there were a few that we could not. Something whispered in my ear that it was time to get up and I looked around, nothing there. Then it said my name in a louder tone, and I, of course, shot up... Nothing was there. Then a friend saw a dog run and jump but before it landed on the bed, it disappeared. She literally threw herself against the wall and gasped. Among many other things that happened. I recommend this hotel and the restaurant. Whether it is the history, food, or hauntings... I recommend it.

Room Tip: Try the Caesar Salad and the desserts that have alcohol in it. Simply delicious!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Tacoma, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

For the past 11 years I have traveled to KC for an event w/ the American Academy of Family Physicians and 9 years ago I discovered the Savoy. I have stayed there ever since. This last year was my last year for this event and I said good bye to my friends at the Savoy. ALL of the staff there have ALWAYS done whatever they could to make my stay there enjoyable. One year I had huge amounts of swag delivered there and they loaded it up in Jorge's Van and off we went to the convention center. This is NOT something that would be done at a chain hotel. I have enjoyed friendship, kindness, good service and big rooms when I was there. I hope sometime to travel for pleasure to KC, for it is a wonderful City, and when I do I will stay at the Savoy. There has been talk of someone purchasing it and "cleaning" it up and that may please some of the malcontents who could not enjoy the Savoy ambience but to me it will be sad. So we add another well furnished, bland, air-conditioned and "modern" hotel to the world. Will the new employers keep the apartments for the workers to live in and will they continue to employ these fine caring folk. I hope so. While I know the Savoy needs some upgrading I hope its other worldness remains. And of course the food. Thank-you to the staff at the Savoy for all the years.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Like previous post have mentioned: it is old. Built in 1888. Some parts of the building are apartments and those areas have not been upgraded I some time. I am also aware that there are some older rooms that are slowly being brought up to current standards. If you don't want one of these rooms, ask for one with wallpaper, or more recently renovated. Don't get the room for 90$, go $120 and you will easly get a room that will top its competitors in the vicinity. High ceilings, big windows, stained glass, claw foot bathtubs, real china, beautiful woodwork, ceiling tiles. Put in your order for breakfast the night before and at the time of your choice it will be ready for you downstairs. If it wasn't for the packs of sugar on the table I would have guessed I was in the 1940's during breakfast. The dining room is beautiful. All in all excellent experience. If you live in the suburbs in a cookie cutter house and like everything new.. New car every year etc.... This is not the hotel for you. It has it's quirks and isn't perfect, but that's what makes it so endearing. I will be back for sure! Also heard 5th floor is haunted, if so they didn't bother me.

Room Tip: 542 was nice. Newer more recently renovated rooms, or just take a gamble... Either way it will be ex...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!