“We bragged to our friends” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast
219 W. Ninth Street, Kansas City, MO 64105   |
Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“We bragged to our friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed in the junior suite and it had alot of space to put our things and hang out for 3 nights. The breakfast was the best part and were served very promptly. The coffee was so good and eggs Benedict was super tasty with the grilled ham! Again, like others said, the steam heat was noisy. We did not know until the last night that it was haunted, but found no problems. Would stay again when back in town.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side of the hotel are more modern than the east
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The staff and food are amazing! The hotel holds so much history that you feel like you are back in time and I loved that! The first two days, we experienced a few haunting things that we could pass off as something else but there were a few that we could not. Something whispered in my ear that it was time to get up and I looked around, nothing there. Then it said my name in a louder tone, and I, of course, shot up... Nothing was there. Then a friend saw a dog run and jump but before it landed on the bed, it disappeared. She literally threw herself against the wall and gasped. Among many other things that happened. I recommend this hotel and the restaurant. Whether it is the history, food, or hauntings... I recommend it.

Room Tip: Try the Caesar Salad and the desserts that have alcohol in it. Simply delicious!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Tacoma, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

For the past 11 years I have traveled to KC for an event w/ the American Academy of Family Physicians and 9 years ago I discovered the Savoy. I have stayed there ever since. This last year was my last year for this event and I said good bye to my friends at the Savoy. ALL of the staff there have ALWAYS done whatever they could to make my stay there enjoyable. One year I had huge amounts of swag delivered there and they loaded it up in Jorge's Van and off we went to the convention center. This is NOT something that would be done at a chain hotel. I have enjoyed friendship, kindness, good service and big rooms when I was there. I hope sometime to travel for pleasure to KC, for it is a wonderful City, and when I do I will stay at the Savoy. There has been talk of someone purchasing it and "cleaning" it up and that may please some of the malcontents who could not enjoy the Savoy ambience but to me it will be sad. So we add another well furnished, bland, air-conditioned and "modern" hotel to the world. Will the new employers keep the apartments for the workers to live in and will they continue to employ these fine caring folk. I hope so. While I know the Savoy needs some upgrading I hope its other worldness remains. And of course the food. Thank-you to the staff at the Savoy for all the years.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Like previous post have mentioned: it is old. Built in 1888. Some parts of the building are apartments and those areas have not been upgraded I some time. I am also aware that there are some older rooms that are slowly being brought up to current standards. If you don't want one of these rooms, ask for one with wallpaper, or more recently renovated. Don't get the room for 90$, go $120 and you will easly get a room that will top its competitors in the vicinity. High ceilings, big windows, stained glass, claw foot bathtubs, real china, beautiful woodwork, ceiling tiles. Put in your order for breakfast the night before and at the time of your choice it will be ready for you downstairs. If it wasn't for the packs of sugar on the table I would have guessed I was in the 1940's during breakfast. The dining room is beautiful. All in all excellent experience. If you live in the suburbs in a cookie cutter house and like everything new.. New car every year etc.... This is not the hotel for you. It has it's quirks and isn't perfect, but that's what makes it so endearing. I will be back for sure! Also heard 5th floor is haunted, if so they didn't bother me.

Room Tip: 542 was nice. Newer more recently renovated rooms, or just take a gamble... Either way it will be ex...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Potwin, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have stayed here in the past (in the fall) and loved the ambience of this historic hotel. This time we were there the first of August. We had 5 rooms, which amounted to the entire 6th floor. Of the 5 rooms, 2 had mediocre air conditioning, 2 had good air and 1 room NEVER cooled down. It was about 100 degrees outside and the rooms were VERY warm until we returned in the early evening. then, most of them had cooled down. However, 602 never went below 80.

I want to make mention of the FABULOUS, courteous, friendly, professional, wait staff and chef's! We ran in to 'John' (the head waiter/chef) in the hallway on our first evening and our friend mentioned he would love a particular specialty breakfast item, and when we showed up for breakfast the next morning John had remember and had made it for him from scratch!! It was the most thoughtful thing ever!! The food in the Savoy grill is top-notch, and the included gourmet breakfast (by order the night before) is top quality!! From lobster bisque down to chicken livers wrapped in bacon, including everything imaginable in between.

I will say, this hotel is not for people who want perfection!! But, if you love history, ambence, and a fun time, this is the place for you. You can even talk some people in to thinking it's haunted!! :)

Room Tip: 642 has the best air!! Great view of the downtown area.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel was built in 1888 and has some absolutely beautiful features such as the tile work, stained glass and the woodwork. With age comes beauty but also beauty marks such as inconsistent air conditioning in the common areas and water pressure in some of the rooms. The hallways and elevator were particularly stifling and it was hard to rinse out my hair in the pitiful stream of water that came out of our shower head. But those things were easy to overlook as we were greeted with exceptional customer service by one of the managers and all of the wait staff, and our eyes were too busy trying to absorb all the fantastic details in the hotel to notice the heat overly much. Our room was located on the 5th floor (no, we did not get paid a visit by one of the resident ghosts) and was not one of the ones recently renovated. But it was still nicely appointed with a comfortable bed and three nice sized windows. The shower was located in an old claw foot tub, which was a little difficult to get in and out of for me as I am vertically challenged. Other than some children running up and down the hallways during the day, the room was very quiet. This hotel is listed as a bed and breakfast, and you are handed a menu to fill out when you check in. You can select 4-5 items off the menu and list the time you would like your breakfast to be ready. In the morning you are served in the dining room off the lobby. The menu is very interesting with traditional choices like pancakes, eggs and fruit and more unique options such as lobster bisque, lamb, pork and beef prepared several different ways, and several fish options. Juice, coffee and tea are included, along with cinnamon rolls. Everyone in our group very much enjoyed their food. I would recommend this hotel to people who can appreciate the beauty and history while being able to overlook some minor inconveniences.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently renovated. The two suites that we saw were truly beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I will agree this hotel is not for everyone every time but I do think everyone should stay here at least once and decide for themselves. I thought the stay was a great experience and how many times can you call a hotel stay a great experience? Now let’s talk about breakfast, WOW what a feast and it is included as part of the room rate. When you figure in this fine breakfast cuisine you will have to agree it is a great value. You really must go to their website and look at the menu, incredible! Lastly there service was great; the entire time I was there it was five star service on everything. OK, the negatives; slow elevator (its old) and I had to go back down to the front desk for ice, that’s it. You really need to spend time looking over everything in the hotel, the art, the structure, the old news articles, etc. After all, this is a historic landmark. Ask questions, everyone who works there is ready and willing to make your stay most enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a canopy bed.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Savoy Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!