“Q hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport

Save Saved
You added AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport to your Saves list
AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   560 Westport Road, Kansas City, MO 64111 (Formerly Q Hotel & Spa)   |
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
“Q hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is very nicely updated with a modern but comfortable feel. We had a great stay and the price is reasonable. They even had a free shuttle to events we were attending! The area is cool and a great place to eat and shop and walk around. The staff was very friendly!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
QHotelAdmin, Manager at AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
I am so glad that your stay was a good one. Hope you saved some places to go and see for you next visit to Kansas City! We strive to offer excellent customer service and I am pleased that you noticed it. That is one of the many things that make it worth staying at The Q Hotel + Spa!

529 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Council Bluffs, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous. The hotel rooms were very small but cozy. The free drinks were nice as well as the breakfast. The hotel is very close (within walking distance) to many bars. The large Turkish towels we were supposed to get were either a joke a we got regular towels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are in a fun and vibrant part of Kansas City, and appreciate all that Wesport has to offer our guests. Come back and stay with us again!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I'm staying at the Q Hotel for a full week on a business trip. Overall I'd give the hotel a rating of "Double Meh". The common areas and rooms are all tired and worn. The furniture and beds are generally poor quality and well past their expiration date. You have to stand in the shower for several minutes before you'd qualify as "wet". The water pressure is terrible due to water restrictors in the shower Heads. The hotel triggered my biggest pet peeve by deploying a relentless barrage of sickly greenish bright fluorescent light bulbs in every single fixture. Lighting is important and when hotels load up every fixture with 100 Watt fluorescent bulbs it really says "we value minimal cost savings over your comfort". I wouldn't recommend staying in this hotel until some serious investments are made to update it. And please please please change out these terrible light bulbs.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry to hear that the stay was not up to your standards. We do have a sustaining Eco-Plan in place, which we adhere. The low-flow shower heads do reduce our water usage dramatically. Every light bulb in the hotel is either 60 watts or less, compact fluorescent in design. This reduces our energy consumption and amount of light bulbs thrown into the landfills.

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do to help get you back!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I visited this great hotel on April 26-28 with a group from St.Louis....Donald The Hotel Manager greeted us with cookies,ice tea & lemonade...The Shuttler Bus Drivers Matt,Travis,Ty,& Tifani was Super Great....The Front Desk people was Super Great !!! The Breakfast cooks Rita & Brandy was SUPER GREAT Too. I love this hotel it wasn't too small or too big it was just right....Oh yeah this hotel the best happy hour with the best bartender....she was SUPER GREAT Too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I am so glad to hear that the interactions with our staff members were good. I will make sure they all hear the wonderful things that you had to say. We do look forward to seeing you again!

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here. It is a nice reasonably priced boutique hotel. It is in a hip section of KC and you get 2 free drinks at happy hour every night! You get access to Golds Gym about a block down the street which is nice. You might complain about no hotel gym but in reality having access to a huge normal gym is much nicer. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Q Hotel + Spa. I am very pleased to hear that your stay was a good one. We appreciate relationship we have with Gold's Gym and the facility they provide to our guests. We truly look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is in a great location near the plaza and right in Westport. There are restaurants and nightlife in walking distance. They will also shuttle you to the Plaza and The Power and Light District. The staff, without exception, has been helpful and friendly. They also offer passes to close by Gold's Gym, and give you 2 free drinks each evening as well as a hot breakfast. The rates are reasonable for this area.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! Our staff is one of our strongest attributes. Our goal is to make the stay with us as enjoyable as possible. We look forward to seeing you again when you return.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

**Bottom line: If you're looking to get wasted in Westport (OMG, they even have a free happy hour!!!), this is probably a great hotel for you. Otherwise, stay somewhere else. And DON'T rely on the shuttle.

My husband and I stayed here in early March for a friend's wedding. I should have known by the cheap bead curtain in our room that the Q wasn't the "affordable boutique" hotel it's advertised to be. But enough about looks. Really, this place just lacks some serious customer service and communication skills:

--The evening of the rehearsal dinner, their shuttle was 50 minutes late.--
We decided to take the hotel's shuttle to the rehearsal dinner in Waldo. When my husband and I tried to add our names to the list of shuttle-riders at the front desk, as the bride instructed us to do, the front desk staff said they had "no idea what [was] going on" because this had been "sprung on them." Super professional.

The shuttle was supposed to pick us up from the restaurant at 10:30 pm. 10:30 came ... and went. We called the hotel, and were told the shuttle would be by to pick us up at 11 (so either they forgot about the pickup time ... or just didn't care?). At 11:07, when no one showed up, we called again and were told someone would arrive within 4-5 minutes. At 11:20, we found the shuttle sitting in front of the restaurant.

What the driver SHOULD have said when we got in the van: "I'm so sorry to keep you waiting, there was a miscommunication back at the hotel regarding your pickup time. I really do apologize."

What she ACTUALLY said: "I've been waiting outside for 10 minutes." Us: "Umm ... no you haven't. We just checked outside 5 minutes ago." Driver: "Oh, well maybe it's only been 5." Us: "We were waiting by the side door. That's where they dropped us off." Driver: "No one told me that's where they dropped you off."

IMHO, if you leave 5 exhausted guests stranded in Waldo for almost an hour, the only thing you should be saying is "I'm sorry." Also, it doesn't look good when a driver throws the front desk staff under the bus (no pun intended) for not giving her the proper pickup information.

--The lady making breakfast was a drill sergeant.--
The woman making omelets for the free breakfast snapped at pretty much every person who made an order. At one point, she barked at the whole room, "who was just up here ordering an omelet? I've got two omelets sitting up here, people!!" Everyone just stared at her. I'm not asking for Vanna White smiles, and a little loud attitude or poking fun at people is totally fine, but this was overboard to the point of being rude and awkward.

This is all besides the fact that:
- We didn't get the bride's goodie bag that other wedding guests got, and when we kindly pointed this out to the front desk staff, the guy proceeded to make made stupid jokes like "that'll cost you $20." Seriously? Just apologize and give me the stinking bag.
- The temperature of the shower varied wildly from cool to blisteringly hot, and had to be adjusted multiple times during each short shower.
- Our room was stuffy even after we set the thermostat to 65. The only thing that fixed the problem was turning the fan off completely and opening the window, leaving us to endure loud, drunken conversations in the wee hours of the morning (we were on the ground floor).
- Every time someone shut their door in our hallway, it sounded like a small cannon going off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for posting your review of the hotel. Allow me to extend my apologies for the tardiness of the shuttle, I will be speaking with the drivers, front desk, and wedding coordinator to ensure this does not happen again. We strive to make sure every guest's stay with us is memorable, and we will work to correct these issues promptly. However, we do host multiple weddings, and so I would ask if you have time to contact me, so that I could gather some specific information about dates, etc. I did not hear about this situation, so hearing it from a guest disappoints me. If you are coming back to the area, please also let me know, so that I can attempt to make up for a disappointing stay.

Travis Vathauer
travisv@theqhotel.com

Been to AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport? Share your experiences!