“Unreliable shuttle, unprofessional staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport

Save Saved
You added AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport to your Saves list
AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   560 Westport Road, Kansas City, MO 64111 (Formerly Q Hotel & Spa)   |
Seattle, Washington
“Unreliable shuttle, unprofessional staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

**Bottom line: If you're looking to get wasted in Westport (OMG, they even have a free happy hour!!!), this is probably a great hotel for you. Otherwise, stay somewhere else. And DON'T rely on the shuttle.

My husband and I stayed here in early March for a friend's wedding. I should have known by the cheap bead curtain in our room that the Q wasn't the "affordable boutique" hotel it's advertised to be. But enough about looks. Really, this place just lacks some serious customer service and communication skills:

--The evening of the rehearsal dinner, their shuttle was 50 minutes late.--
We decided to take the hotel's shuttle to the rehearsal dinner in Waldo. When my husband and I tried to add our names to the list of shuttle-riders at the front desk, as the bride instructed us to do, the front desk staff said they had "no idea what [was] going on" because this had been "sprung on them." Super professional.

The shuttle was supposed to pick us up from the restaurant at 10:30 pm. 10:30 came ... and went. We called the hotel, and were told the shuttle would be by to pick us up at 11 (so either they forgot about the pickup time ... or just didn't care?). At 11:07, when no one showed up, we called again and were told someone would arrive within 4-5 minutes. At 11:20, we found the shuttle sitting in front of the restaurant.

What the driver SHOULD have said when we got in the van: "I'm so sorry to keep you waiting, there was a miscommunication back at the hotel regarding your pickup time. I really do apologize."

What she ACTUALLY said: "I've been waiting outside for 10 minutes." Us: "Umm ... no you haven't. We just checked outside 5 minutes ago." Driver: "Oh, well maybe it's only been 5." Us: "We were waiting by the side door. That's where they dropped us off." Driver: "No one told me that's where they dropped you off."

IMHO, if you leave 5 exhausted guests stranded in Waldo for almost an hour, the only thing you should be saying is "I'm sorry." Also, it doesn't look good when a driver throws the front desk staff under the bus (no pun intended) for not giving her the proper pickup information.

--The lady making breakfast was a drill sergeant.--
The woman making omelets for the free breakfast snapped at pretty much every person who made an order. At one point, she barked at the whole room, "who was just up here ordering an omelet? I've got two omelets sitting up here, people!!" Everyone just stared at her. I'm not asking for Vanna White smiles, and a little loud attitude or poking fun at people is totally fine, but this was overboard to the point of being rude and awkward.

This is all besides the fact that:
- We didn't get the bride's goodie bag that other wedding guests got, and when we kindly pointed this out to the front desk staff, the guy proceeded to make made stupid jokes like "that'll cost you $20." Seriously? Just apologize and give me the stinking bag.
- The temperature of the shower varied wildly from cool to blisteringly hot, and had to be adjusted multiple times during each short shower.
- Our room was stuffy even after we set the thermostat to 65. The only thing that fixed the problem was turning the fan off completely and opening the window, leaving us to endure loud, drunken conversations in the wee hours of the morning (we were on the ground floor).
- Every time someone shut their door in our hallway, it sounded like a small cannon going off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for posting your review of the hotel. Allow me to extend my apologies for the tardiness of the shuttle, I will be speaking with the drivers, front desk, and wedding coordinator to ensure this does not happen again. We strive to make sure every guest's stay with us is memorable, and we will work to correct these issues promptly. However, we do host multiple weddings, and so I would ask if you have time to contact me, so that I could gather some specific information about dates, etc. I did not hear about this situation, so hearing it from a guest disappoints me. If you are coming back to the area, please also let me know, so that I can attempt to make up for a disappointing stay.

travisv@theqhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding in Kansas City, and I now understand why the couple chose to reserve rooms at The Q. The modern, boutique feel and friendly staff were a perfect fit for our group. The desk staff were friendly and made us feel welcome when we checked in. They knew exactly which wedding we belonged to and were able to provide us with all of the necessary information about the shuttle to the wedding venue that we needed. The managers special was generous with wine, beer and well drinks available. Each guest got two drinks and the pours were large. The shuttle service was prompt and friendly and ran without a hitch to and from the wedding venue. The rooms are stylishly appointed and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was decent as well. The dining area could use a face-lift as it felt a little cafeteria-ish, but I can overlook that.

The only complaint I had is that there was a different wedding that was rather rowdy and ended up setting off a fire alarm and causing a ruckus in the hallway outside of our room at 3am. It would have been appreciated had the alarms been able to be turned off when the cause of the smoke (smoking in the room) was identified, but instead they went off for quite some time. The staff apologized in the morning when I brought it up.

Overall, great hotel for the value. I also really respect the green efforts of the hotel. Look into the hybrid vehicle discount!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your posting on our hotel. I am glad your wedding party enjoyed the hotel, we enjoy hosting them (although as you mention some do get a little rambunctious, although our security staff works hard to control things). I will pass your compliments on to the bartenders and breakfast staff. I would like to extend my apologies for the extended alarm time, we just installed a new system, and that night we saw one of the kinks that needed to be worked out, but it has been resolved. If you are back in Kansas City again, we look forward to having you with us!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

What a great hotel ! Stayed here two seperate nights on my vacation. Clean and comfortable. Beds are supper comfortable ! Lots of little ammenities . Great prices compared to high price places by Crown Plaza and downtown. And if you love martini's this is the place. Not your typical hotel bar. Great little spa ! Had an awesome massage. Next time I am in KC I will stay here. Love It . A wonderful little hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
We are all so glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us! I will be sure to pass along your compliments to the bartenders (who have been working on a new menu) and to our massage therapists. Hope to see you back soon.

San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

What a fun time to be in KC and especially at the Q.. Besides the great food and free nightly drinks their shuttle service to excellent. This is was the first time for my friends stay at the Q and they loved it also. This is my 3rd time and I still LOVE IT!! Thanks for a great spring break!

Room Tip: Best deal ever that includes a hot freshly cooked breakfast, free cocktails and shuttle service
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We are so glad that you have chosen our hotel, year after year. Hopefully we will see you back again for the basketball games next year!

loopgrl5
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I love staying at the Q. I stay here for business and have enjoyed every one of my stays. Everything is clean, internet access is complimentary, and the free breakfast is more than the usual cold buffet. I believe you also get 2 free drinks every evening during Happy Hour in the downstairs bar, but I've never taken advantage of this. There are also free computers to use in the lobby area if you don't have yours with you. This is the type of place I wish was in each city I visit.

There isn't a gym in the hotel, but they give you a complimentary gym pass to Gold's Gym next door. It's also only a block away from amazing restaurants!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. I am glad we appeal to business travelers, as well as those looking to just get away for the weekend. Yes we do a nightly manager's reception with two free cocktails per registered guest. You should definitely check it out the next time you stay with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Big shout out to Dan the shuttle driver & Travis at the front desk & all the front desk crew. Brandy the fabulous bartender! Love her! The mama cooking the fabulous omlets with great personality! We've been there twice now & hope to return again!!
The ST LOUIS GIRLS

• Stayed March 2013
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you ladies for such a kind review! I am so happy that the whole staff was to your liking, and that you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities. I will be sure to pass on the review to all of them. Hope to see you back again soon.

Urbandale, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is our third stay at The Q and it just keeps getting better. We reserved two rooms for two nights during the NCAA's Men's Basketball Tournament (we live 3 hours from K.C.). Arrived Friday morning, got on the shuttle waiting list to go to the tournament, were transported to within a block of The Sprint Center with half hour of our arrival, and were told to call the hotel when we were ready to be picked up, if we wanted to leave before all the games were over. After the third game of the day we decided to head back to the Westport area where The Q is located, to find a bar to watch other games on TV. We called, and Demitri picked us up within minutes. Not only did he provide info about restaurants, music and other attractions he thought we might enjoy, he offered to take us to any of them! Granted we were the only four on the shuttle but . . . .he was so knowledgeable and nice. Saturday morning the weather predictors were saying to expect 6-10 inches of snow that would start around midnight. After discussing what we should do over the fabulous, included breakfast at The Q, prepared by Rita (who has a steel trap for a mind) we decided we should head home, since one of us HAD to be at work on Monday. We assumed we would have to pay for our second night but, Tifani, at the front desk said "there is no cancellation fee" and checked us out with a gorgeous smile. The rooms are great, but the people and the policies at The Q are absolutely the best!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind words about the hotel and our staff. We work hard to make sure every guest has this kind of treatment here. I am sorry you had to miss the last round of basketball, the last two games were amazing!! Hope to see you back again, without the snow next time.

Travis Vathauer

Been to AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport? Share your experiences!