**Bottom line: If you're looking to get wasted in Westport (OMG, they even have a free happy hour!!!), this is probably a great hotel for you. Otherwise, stay somewhere else. And DON'T rely on the shuttle.
My husband and I stayed here in early March for a friend's wedding. I should have known by the cheap bead curtain in our room that the Q wasn't the "affordable boutique" hotel it's advertised to be. But enough about looks. Really, this place just lacks some serious customer service and communication skills:
--The evening of the rehearsal dinner, their shuttle was 50 minutes late.--
We decided to take the hotel's shuttle to the rehearsal dinner in Waldo. When my husband and I tried to add our names to the list of shuttle-riders at the front desk, as the bride instructed us to do, the front desk staff said they had "no idea what [was] going on" because this had been "sprung on them." Super professional.
The shuttle was supposed to pick us up from the restaurant at 10:30 pm. 10:30 came ... and went. We called the hotel, and were told the shuttle would be by to pick us up at 11 (so either they forgot about the pickup time ... or just didn't care?). At 11:07, when no one showed up, we called again and were told someone would arrive within 4-5 minutes. At 11:20, we found the shuttle sitting in front of the restaurant.
What the driver SHOULD have said when we got in the van: "I'm so sorry to keep you waiting, there was a miscommunication back at the hotel regarding your pickup time. I really do apologize."
What she ACTUALLY said: "I've been waiting outside for 10 minutes." Us: "Umm ... no you haven't. We just checked outside 5 minutes ago." Driver: "Oh, well maybe it's only been 5." Us: "We were waiting by the side door. That's where they dropped us off." Driver: "No one told me that's where they dropped you off."
IMHO, if you leave 5 exhausted guests stranded in Waldo for almost an hour, the only thing you should be saying is "I'm sorry." Also, it doesn't look good when a driver throws the front desk staff under the bus (no pun intended) for not giving her the proper pickup information.
--The lady making breakfast was a drill sergeant.--
The woman making omelets for the free breakfast snapped at pretty much every person who made an order. At one point, she barked at the whole room, "who was just up here ordering an omelet? I've got two omelets sitting up here, people!!" Everyone just stared at her. I'm not asking for Vanna White smiles, and a little loud attitude or poking fun at people is totally fine, but this was overboard to the point of being rude and awkward.
This is all besides the fact that:
- We didn't get the bride's goodie bag that other wedding guests got, and when we kindly pointed this out to the front desk staff, the guy proceeded to make made stupid jokes like "that'll cost you $20." Seriously? Just apologize and give me the stinking bag.
- The temperature of the shower varied wildly from cool to blisteringly hot, and had to be adjusted multiple times during each short shower.
- Our room was stuffy even after we set the thermostat to 65. The only thing that fixed the problem was turning the fan off completely and opening the window, leaving us to endure loud, drunken conversations in the wee hours of the morning (we were on the ground floor).
- Every time someone shut their door in our hallway, it sounded like a small cannon going off.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- *Currently closed for construction.* AC Hotels by Marriott reflects the souls of the cities in which they reside. They offer a unique combination of quality, timeless European design, comfort and true authenticity. It's a whole new way to travel. Stylish Hotels for Urban Spirits, a new way to connect to the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your AC Hotels by Marriott Kansas City Westport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- q Hotel And Spa
- q Hotel Kansas City