“excellent concierge service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AC Hotel by Marriott Kansas City Westport

and 1 more site!
You added AC Hotel by Marriott Kansas City Westport to your Saves list
AC Hotel by Marriott Kansas City Westport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   560 Westport Road, Kansas City, MO 64111 (Formerly Q Hotel & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #41 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Springfield, Missouri
“excellent concierge service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Superb attention was given to my husband and I during our stay. The concierge, Trey, was very professional and accommodating to our comfort. All the staff we encountered were very polite and helpful. We would definitely return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed a night at the Q as a return guest. The rate for returning customers is fantastic. I got there a bit early and was told my room was ready. Went up to find housekeeping standing by my room and when I asked if I could go in she said no. So I left my things up front while I walked around the area. Front desk was very helpful but not too apologetic about my circumstance.

The evening reception was ok but not as great as the bartender was not the lady from last time. I slept pretty badly as my curtains didn't shut all the way and sunlight kept leaking into my room. The walls are thin so I could hear rooms next to me coming back at all hours of the night. The hallway lights seemed to seep into my room below the door as well keeping me up. My faucet only had "hot" as a setting so I had to brush my teeth and wash my hands in the tub. Didn't bother to call down to fix it since I was just there for one night. Shower was great and sink had plenty of room for cosmetics and such.

Breakfast was awesome like last time.

I was disappointed in the lack of quality I had been so impressed with the last time I stayed here. Value wise it can't be beat for the price, but I'm not sure I would be excited to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at AC Hotel by Marriott Kansas City Westport, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
First off, thank you for coming back to see us. I do apologize for the issues, the early check in problems should have definitely been dealt with in a better way, and I will address that with those at the desk immediately. We were having a hot water issue with the boilers, that has been addressed and that should have been explained to you and all guests so that will not be happening in the future. I wish that your second night here had been as positive as the first, but if you want to contact me directly, I will make sure the third stay gives you a better return experience.

travisv@theqhotel.com
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Q hotel has location, location, location for an easy walk to the Westport area of Kansas City.

The staff are friendly. The hotel has many cozy areas to sit and talk with people. And they have a great deal with free drinks during happy hour, and breakfast which we didn't try.

Our room was average fare...with good bedding and too-firm pillows.

Our sink needed some maintenance and ant prevention.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the comments on your stay. We always want our customers to leave with positive thoughts about their stay. I am sorry to hear that there were issues that needed attending to. We try and make sure every room has proper maintenance, but apparently a few things were missed. If you would want to reach out so that I can make sure your specific room gets attention I would greatly appreciate it.

travisv@theqhotel.com
Ashland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Okay, so first I would say that this is an okay hotel, a good value, well-located and I would give it another chance. That is not say that there is not some room for significant improvement that could be accomplished without much trouble. First the good.

Apparently renovated recently, the lobby, hallways and our room were attractive and well maintained. The light-fixutres, carpet, and wall paper have a cool 1960s "Retro" vibe and the piped in music, in the elevator especially, is sort of a 1960s-1970s greatest hits that was fun and entertaining without being obnoxiously loud. The linens (sheets, towels) were of high quality, not the paper-thin junk that you often get in this price-range. The room had a flat screen TV with HBO and the other standard faire, as well as a microwave, fridge and Ipod dock as clock. There is free Wi-Fi on the entire property and it was easy to connect. If you need a shuttle, they were pretty responsive about getting you to and from efficiently, and if you have a car there is lots and lots of free parking. The nightly cocktail hour was a nice touch, with a decent selection of mixed drinks and beer/wine included and the made-to-order omelet/waffle bar was a nice step up from the standard powdered eggs and greasy sausage that passes for an included meal. In concept the green/enviro friendly focus is a good idea but more on that later.

The bad: The bathroom is a closet, that is near claustrophobic and the toilet wasn't terribly functional. I support re-using ones towels, to save the planet, but if you want me to be able to do that easily it might be a good idea to have TWO places to hang up a towel to dry, without having to put it over the shower curtain. I have never stayed in a hotel where you literally have to wait for the water to COOL DOWN so that you aren't scalded. Maybe being really green could include turning the thermostat down 30 degrees or something. Drinking from the tap was like making tea. The in-room heat/cooling control was nice, except that when the fan comes one (which is does constantly) it sounds like a 747 is taking off. We finally just turned the thing off entirely.

Back to the towels, we had constant problems with out having any hand-towels because housekeeping would take them (from the floor, since there wasn't anywhere to hang them) and then not replace them with clean. I suppose that saves washing, but it doesn't help much if you a hand-towel. Asking for replacements was not handled very well by the front desk, though they did eventually bring some up (after several requests). They told us that we might not understand, since they are a "Green Hotel."

We're from the Pacific Northwest. Trust me, we understand green, and re-using your towels and sheets for a few days. Which brings me to what apparently passes for "Green" in Kansas City. I am all in favor of an environmental approach to life. While at the Q we used more styrofoam plates and bowls, and plastic glasses (at cocktail hour) and cups than we have in the last two or three years combined (Styrofoam bowls are illegal in our hometown). The Q has a full kitchen set-up, they use metal flatware (Yay!) and one breakfast used real china, but after than EVERYTHING was in a disposal foam bowl, or plate, or plastic cup (sure, the plastic cup has some disclaimer about being 'industrially compostable' but most everyone was just dropping into the "Plastic" or "Trash" receptacle and I doubt anybody on staff is sorting it).

Finally, the front counter folks were all nice and pleasant, generally helpful, and fine. However on our first night, having gotten in late, and just wanting a quick bite, we asked if there were any good restaurants within walking distance and were told that the only thing was the burrito/mexican place next door. And it was fine, for what it was. But we were really surprise the next day, when we had a chance to explore, to discover that ONE BLOCK away were all sorts of great places, including a brew-pub (with decent food and great beer), the oldest bar in KC, several Asian or ethnic restaurants and an entire range of really neat, local, places. Now the Q promotes the Westport area (as it should) and clearly is a huge asset to this thriving little enclave within the City. I can't figure out why the Front Counter didn't mention any of that... We're not 108, don't appear decrepit, and I really can't imagine anyone thinking ONE BLOCK was out of our walking distance range. It was just weird.

SO. As I say, this wasn't a bad place to stay, and was a decent value. The room was quiet (once the HVAC was defeated). clean, and generally well-appointed. The location is great and most of the amenities are pretty much a step up from what I expected, given the cost. BUT, the green stuff needs some work, the staff needs to step up on the service end (both housekeeping and front desk)

Saint Albans, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

A nice hotel with character. Especially appreciated the good service and quiet room, even with the basketball tournament in town. A very good breakfast topped it off, though one might wish for a bit more variety in the fresh fruit category. Will stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and the review of the Q Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, and while we do try to rotate the fruit selections, there are times when we are limited by seasons. We try not to buyout of season fruits to maintain local produce as much as possible. I will look into some alternatives though!

Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Got a Living Social Deal and a friend and I stayed here. Had a great time. Room was big and clean, it's a 'green' hotel, recycles and composts, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.We were just steps from several restaurants and lots of fast food, dozens of shops and bars, and the Dueling pianos.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
We are glad you were able to come and stay with us. We are proud that our eco-plan has gained us national notoriety and brought eco-friendly lodging to the Kansas City area!

AURORA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is my favorite place to stay in Kansas City. In the Westport entertainment district, Walking distance to Country club plaza, (free shuttle too). Made to order omelets and waffles (free breakfast), close to Pryde's (great kitchen supply store). From here it is an easy 1 mile walk to the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art and just a block farther to the Nelson Atkins. The staff is friendly, from the front desk through the back end staff. The rooms are modest, but clean, well appointed and cared for. I have never had a bad stay here and have used this hotel for over 5 years.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your continuing patronage to our Hotel! We hope to continue with your business for many years to come!

Travis Vathauer

Been to AC Hotel by Marriott Kansas City Westport? Share your experiences!