“Not so great” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Des Moines, Iowa
“Not so great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The problem started upon check-in. We checked in at 6:30 p.m. and were told they only had two double bed rooms available even though I specifically booked a queen. The front desk clerk said he would make it up to us by giving us an extra free drink each during the hotel's happy hour. Which really does not make up for sleeping in a separate bed from your husband on your child-free weekend away. Particularly when I am pregnant and cannot drink and we had dinner reservations at 7 and given those things were not interested in sitting at the hotel bar drinking. The rooms were also poorly appointed. No better than your standard chain hotel. It was as though they tried to upgrade the hotel but spent most of that money on the lobby and common areas and neglected things like nice linens (scratchy) and pillows (all very firm) or the faucet (which was flaking the metal coating and rusty) and a toilet (which ran on its own intermittently throughout the night).

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at Q Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I am sorry that you did not find the room to your liking. While we do try to make sure that every room type reservation is correct there are times mistakes do occur. We strive to make sure that every guest has a positive feeling when leaving our hotel.

As far as the issues with your room, I would like to be able to look into that specific room. If you would not mind reaching out to me so that I can get more details on your reservation, and also see if we could rectify the issues with your stay I would appreciate it.

527 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel was very accommodating and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The front desk was always very informative and detailed. Trey at the front desk always called us by name and was very eager to help. He was extremly intelligent and affluent, and knew the area extremely well and made solid recommendations. The location was perfect and I am very satisfied with my choice of hotels. Bless you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you from all of us here at the Q Hotel. Your positive review supports our strong emphasis on customer service. We look forward to your next visit!

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

After reading the reviews online I decided to book my trip to Kansas City over last weekend in the Q Hotel. Upon check in the front desk was very accommodating and welcoming even though I got there about midnight! This continued throughout my visit with the front desk always greeting me and waving every time I entered or exited the hotel so I have to say that I was very impressed with the staff. The bar was also nice and packed almost every night as they offered two free drinks from 5-7 for Happy Hour! I had the Cabernet red wine and I have to say that is was very good for their house wine!
The CONS:
I was in town for an Acupuncture Seminar and was completing my last 100hours with a very intense exam so I was hoping for peace and quiet during the stay. Unfortunately the walls are very thin and I could hear everyone closing doors, walking down the halls and voices from the next room. Also the dryer is very very weak and I could barley blow dry my hair in the mornings...I believe it is because they are trying to save energy as a "Green" hotel...so I just worked with it the best I could. Another problem was the toilet...I had to flush it two or three times for it to refill correctly..hmmmm..oh well!
The PROS
The complementary breakfast is a MUST!!! They have someone there making any omelet you want and will even make you eggs....all for free (but I always left a hefty tip!) plus toast, cereal, bagels, etc. etc....very very nice!
The rooms are nice and a perk is the ipod stero/alarm clock so bring an ipod.
Perfect location for all downtown walking distances to bars, coffee spots, clubs, restaurants and Dr. Yennies Acupuncture clinic.

Overall I was satisfied with my experience here and would be coming back but requesting a room at the end of the hallway due to noise. Thanks Q hotel!

Room Tip: Get the one at the end of the hallways as the walls are very very thin and you can be woke up early...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the review of the Q Hotel! I am so glad to hear that the staff is welcoming and friendly at all hours of the day and night.

I am concerned that you did not like the hair dryer in the room and that the toilet was not filling properly. If you would want to get in touch so I can find out exactly which room you stayed, I would appreciate it so that we can work on making changes.

Joplin, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed at the Q many times, and I have yet to give them credit. The hotel is a bit dated but overall it is always a great stay at an inexpensive rate. Located between The Plaza and downtown, perfect for getting around KC. The staff always goes out of their way to help you with anything you may need. They have a shuttle to take most anywhere (within reason) which is great so as to not drink and drive. Free breakfast in the morning, and not just some dried up muffins etc.. Fresh made omelets & waffles as well as many other items to choose from. Overall you can't go wrong with The Q!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at Q Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for posting the review of our hotel. We really appreciate our repeat guests, and are glad that you have enjoyed the location and our breakfast! Rita does make some amazing omelets.

Hope to see you again soon-

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Ok so the hotel is not located in downtown but it is placed nearby a couple of good bars, panera, golds gym and a supermarket among other small businesses. It is very convenient for a person who wants to save a buck or two. Also for a quick stay without being at the airport.

It is a 20-minute ride to the airport but it is nice to get away from the airport.

The hotel is cute with a small bar and nice padded bench window seats. The rooms themselves are a right sort of pastel color decor. I'm not a fan of the sink being outside of the barroom but the room did had a nice soda bed.

The things that I didn't like we're the hair dyer, the thermostat and the fact that it only had one phone at the desk. It was sort of annoying to get up from the bed, walk to the desk and reach the phone since there was not a 2nd one on the nightstand.

Overall it was good. The front desk was knowledgable of the area and places to go. It was a nice to get that information from small area hotels unlike big chain names.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for writing the review of our hotel. I am glad the staff members stood out from those at chain hotels.
I am concerned that you did not like the hair dryer in the room, if you would want to get in touch so I can find out exactly what the issue was, I would appreciate it so that we can work on making changes.

Hope to see you again soon

Derwood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I decided to celebrate my 49th birthday with an overnight in Kansas City, was told this was the place to stay and it definitely didn't disappoint. We arrived with free parking, free shuttle service and the location is within walking distance of stores, quaint shopping and places to eat...everyone was curtious and helpful. We had amazing service checking in with both, Matt & Trey helping us...to our shuttle drivers Nick, David A, David S. You helped make my celebration a great one...thank you!

Room Tip: If you have more than 3 it's best to probably get a 2nd room...the beds were doubles/full size i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Marie--
I am so glad you enjoyed spending your birthday with us! We try to make all of those events just a little extra special.
I will be sure to make sure the employees you mentioned see that guests do appreciate all their hard work.

See you soon-

Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We met up with friends over the winter holidays in Kansas City and found the Q online. They were offering a "2 nights for 1" special, so that attracted us, along with the free parking, shuttle service to area attractions and restaurants, complimentary happy hour and hot breakfast. We were not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and accommodating; the facilities were clean and updated. A fire was going the entire time in the lobby fireplace, which made it very cozy. The hotel is located in the Westport district, so restaurants are accessible on foot. The shuttle was still handy, though, for places a bit farther away (it has a 2 mile radius, I believe). We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at Q Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for posting your kind review of our hotel. I am so glad that our staff and amenities made your stay enjoyable! (The shuttle has a 3-mile radius).

The Buy 1 Get 1 special runs through February 28th! Maybe we will see you again before then.

Travis Vathauer

Been to Q Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!