“Anniversary.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
SEK
“Anniversary.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have stayed at the Q in the past on our anniversary so we decided to stay there again this year. Shortly after our arrival we were greeted with a complimentary bottle of champagne. As always the staff was great and very accomodating. Shawn Duke, hotel manager, was very gracious as always (and will be sorely missed). It's always great having local transportation provided. The stay was fantastic. Thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at Q Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay over your anniversary. We work hard to make sure our staff is one of the best. Yes, Shawn will be missed by guests and co-workers a like.

Hope to see you again soon

527 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Q for 4 nights while visiting family in the area. We enjoyed our stay and will return to Q. It was different than the usual hotel with its Eco-friendly atmosphere which is expressed in many ways--- their Prius, recycling, bulk soap dispensers in the shower. We especially enjoyed the service. All the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Upon arrival, they had an extension cord for our Volt so we could charge it during our stay. The breakfast staff was wonderful---Brandi makes great omelets. The location is convenient to the Plaza and Westport. The lobby area with its fireplace was a warm place to gather for conversation. We were Quite happy with the Q.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
QHotelAdmin, General Manager at Q Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review of our property. We work extra hard to make sure every guest leaves as satisfied as you all were. I will also make sure Brandi sees the positive review!

Shawn Duke
Rogers, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the "Q" very much. The evening Cocktail hour was marvelous. We had a couple of glasses of wine by the big fire place in the little area just off the lobby. Everyone one was so friendly. Rooms were clean. It was close to everything we wanted to see.

Breakfast was very good made to order omletes and waffles.

Room Tip: I recomend requesting rooms on 2nd and 3rd floors. We stayed on 1st and he\ad stairs to contend with...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
QHotelAdmin, Front Office Manager at Q Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel! We have just redone our wine list as well, so be sure to check that out on your next visit!
Unfortunately, yes our first floor rooms do have 4 steps, to get those hallways. All other floors are accessible from the elevator without steps!
See you again soon

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

From the moment that Tiffany picked up the phone at the front desk to book my room I knew The Q was the place to be. I can't even think about staying anywhere else the next time I'm in Kansas City, but the next place I stay in another town has some pretty big shoes to fill.

Not only was the staff really fun and friendly, they gave some killer recommendations for bars, restaurants, and city events. Any questions I threw at them, they had answers for or were more than willing to find out for me. On top of just doing their jobs really well, I loved this staff because they were always game for a laugh.

The room was great. I'm not sure if the "sound problems" other people said they were having have since been fixed, but our room was quiet. I loved the design because it was modern but really comfortable. The room had loads of space, with plenty of room for all our things, but also just a nice roomy feel. And the bed? Forget about. So soft, great pillows, great sheets, the whole shebang.

Let's talk location, shall we? I think we took a cab twice. You can walk everywhere. There's great food, booze, shopping, and coffee all within walking distance. We were there when it was snowing and it was gorgeous to be out on the winding, hilly streets going from place to place.

I really can't say enough great things about the staff. The great room and location were more of a bonus than anything else after getting to talk with everyone who works there.

Finally, ladies and gentleman, all I'd like you to know is you'd be a fool to stay anywhere else in Kansas City.

Room Tip: The King Sofa was wonderful!
Sarah-
Thank you for such a nice review of the staff, and Tifani in particular! Since joining us a few months ago, she has been a wonderful addition! I am glad you found the whole neighborhood so enjoyable, yes there is plenty to eat and drink in the 5 blocks surrounding us.

Hope to see you return soon!

Winchester, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I tried the Q during a recent kansas City stay because it advertised itself as green (something I don't see in many hotels), had attractive rates, and was located in a great neighborhood. While checking in, I was immediately happy with my choice; the desk staff was incredibly friendly, welcoming, and helpful, whether in getting directions or recommendations for restaurants. The breakfast staff (for the FREE breakfast) was infallibly cheerful and prepared some of the best omeleets I have had in years. My room was not large, but was not as small as some rooms I have had in NYC or Chicago and was kept very clean. If I was to complain of anything at all, it would be the use of built-in dispensers for shampoo etc in the shower. I know using bulk is far greener than providing individual toiletries, but I also enjoy bringing home little remembrances of where I stay! I would definitiely stay at the Q again when I go to KCMO.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay on our property! We work to make sure our front desk agents are at the top of their game, and as my stomach can attest, the omelets are delicious!
Sorry, that you did like the bulk dispensers, the elimination of plastic bottles is one point in our 38-point Eco Plan as part of our Green Initiative. I will put some thought into finding something else for guests to take with them as remembrance though.
Thanks for the idea!

Coral Gables, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked this hotel because it sounded appealing. While the staff members were welcoming and the lobby nicely appointed, it fell flat after that. The room was spartan (not a problem) but the noise level from other guests was an issue. When I am in bed and can hear my neighbor going to the bathroom, that's a problem. I'm not sure why but the entire floor smelled like raw onions to the level that it seeped into my clothes. Had I known what I know now, I would have spent more to get some rest and peace and quiet. Oh well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am sorry that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped! We work hard to make sure that every guest leaves with a positive experience.
We occasionally to have some "exuberant" guests, but we do have security patrols that monitor the building, and should have put a stop to it.
If you would want to contact me to discuss the issues further, I would appreciate it so that changes could be made.

Shawn Duke
sduke@theqhotel.com
Stilwell, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This Hotel was one of the best I've stayed in the Kansas City area. It had cozy feel to the hotel and had a lot of history. The thing that I could appreciate most, was the customer service. It was late and I needed a place to stay with my wife, who was feeling under the weather. We stopped at the Q hotel and spa in west port because I had heard great things about it. While checking in, a young man by the name of Trey Moravek had noticed my wife was feeling uneasy and helped her find a seat. After we had booked the room the young man helped assist my wife to the room and and helped carry our bags. When we had reached our room I was so grateful for his help and outstanding service I offered him a generous tip that he refused to take. He told me that it was not needed and that he was just doing his job the best way he knew how. He said that he was just happy he could help and gave me his name and where I could find him if I needed anything else. This gentleman made all the difference in my stay, I did not see him the next day when we checked out, but was very Impressed by the integrity, modesty, and kindness this young man portrayed. I would assume the entire staff would have done the same, but am truly grateful this young man was working that night. The hotel speaks for itself when it has great customer care! this hotel has earned my up most respect and I would recommend it to anyone! Thank you again for everything!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow! Thank you for the such kind review of our staff. We work hard to go the extra mile for every guest. (I do hope your wife is okay!)
I will make sure Trey sees this very positive review of his work. He has become a very valued employee since joining our team a couple of months ago.

Thanks again, and hope to see you soon.

Front Office Manager

Been to Q Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!