“Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
sydney
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

As I had never been to Kansas before I thought I would check out what people were writing about where to stay in Kansas. The Raphael had mainly positive comments hence my stay. What a beautiful hotel. Service amazing location amazing rooms beautiful. I loved my stay in Raphael . It is a small boutique hotel which I loved. Only negative I could say is dont order the sorbet for dessert from the restaurant. As all you receive is 3 small spoonfulls.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 22, 2011
Thank you for your comments I will review your impressions of the sorbet with our Executive Chef.

519 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

We stayed at the Raphael one night between Christmas and New Years. It was our second time there. Our key did not open our room, requiring another trip to the front desk. The toilet seat was loose.The refrigerator in the sitting room was so loud that I unplugged it in order to watch TV. The volume control on the bedside radio was stuck in one position that was too loud to comfortably listen to.
I would have told them about these issues at checkout but I wasn't asked how our stay was. The treadmills in the fitness center are in good shape, Startracs with the built in TV's, but we just didn't feel the love this time, especially for @$200 per night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
I am so sorry you we were disappointed with your stay at the Raphael. Please contact me to directly so I may personally address your concerns.

Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Great location - you can walk to the Plaza. Also, they don't charge extra for parking like many hotels do, and the parking is very convenient. Staff were extremely nice and helpful. Room and amenities were impeccable. One morning we were having trouble with one of our 3 televisions, and we reported it to the front desk on our way to breakfast. By the time we got back, it was fixed, and maintenance had left us a nice note saying that they'd been there, and to let the front desk know if there was still a problem. As a nice touch, they also left two precious little hammer shaped chocolates with the note. Housekeeping left delicious chocolate chip cookies, and room had a convenient Keurig coffee maker with high quality coffee.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will share with my team and do hope you will stay at the Raphael every time you are in Kansas City.
KCK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Reserved a King Suite Plaza View, the view of the Plaza lights was great. Nice room, comfortable bed, so convenient for strolling on the Plaza at night. Our breakfast the next morning at Chaz was great. Can't wait to go back again next year!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Raphael Hotel.

Prairie Village, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed in a King Plaza-View Suite (room 311). The room was incredible! Large, clean and very comfortable. Very reasonable at $219 for a room looking out over the Plaza Christmas lights. Can't wait to stay there again.

However... we tried to have drinks and appetizers at the restaurant affiliated with the hotel ("The Chaz"). The calamari was so salty we had to send it back... and the bruchetta we got to replace it was coated in oil and vinegar and was not appetizing. The bartender was in a hurry and not helpful and spent most of his time arguing with wait staff and his bar back. The restaurant was so bad we left and ate elsewhere. Too bad... because the rest of our stay was awesome.

Bottom line... The Raphael was amazing... just avoid "The Chaz".

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your experience in Chaz. I would love the opportunity to discuss your comments further. Please contact me at your convenience to discuss.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

As a native Kansas Citian, I was looking forward to introducing my east coast husband to the famous Plaza Christmas Lights with a view from a posh room at The Raphael. Imagine my disappointment when the "view" was only from one far corner of the very small room, visible, basically, by one person at a time. The view was, more accurately, of the brick front of the other wing of the hotel. When I complained immediately to the desk, they said the hotel was booked and they didn't have anything available. Considering this was a Wednesday-Monday stay, I feel we should have had priority over a weekend only booking and been moved to a better room. Or offered some form of compensation. Although the entire staff was very nice, the clerk was obviously unable/unwilling to do any better for us. Since this was a trip to visit family, I didn't want to start it out haggling/ negotiating/ complaining with the hotel, so I just dropped it. However, overall, the Raphael just does not live up to the "boutique" hype. Except for a convenient location, steps away from the Plaza shopping and restuarants, I could have done just as well with a chain hotel and avoided the disappointment factor and saved considerable money.
The room was very small, the "elegant' tiled bathroom was as cold as a meat locker. We jokingly called the towels and robes "loofa" towels because you sure got an exfoliation treatment using them. We had to send breakfast back twice in the restaurant because it was cold and undercooked. Sigh...I had really expected so much more. When staying home is an upgrade you are in trouble! I am sorry to say, I can't recommend the hotel. Wish I could.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Please contact me directly so that I may personally address your concerns.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I stayed here for a romantic New Year's Eve with my boyfriend last year - it was kind of a big deal because we were going to be parted for four months the next week due to an out of town assignment, and it was also our first overnight trip together. The room itself was nice, if quite small. I have to say that I think the giant yellow checked wallpaper is VERY loud and far too visually assertive to be considered part of a relaxing environment, and I don't think it looks particularly posh. Giant yellow picnic-blanket check print... I'm not sure where it belongs, but probably not where you're sleeping, right? Evidently it is in every single room and there's no getting away from it. We stayed at the Raphael largely to be close to the Plaza, because we had dinner reservations and no desire to involve cars or cabs in them on New Year's Eve. Our plan was to do some shopping, have a nice night out, enjoy a decadent breakfast in bed, and drive home. What happened was that we did some shopping, ended up getting room service (well, you know - kids these days) which was *delicious* - I think I'll be dreaming about the mashed potatoes with lobster and Boursin on my deathbed, and the salad and crabcakes were delicious too. We enjoyed the room. The mattress was fine, but the pillows were very old and lumpy instead of soft and springy and supportive. When a pillow in a hotel room is starting to separate and bunch and lump, it's kind of hard not to think about the fact that it's evidently been used a lot, by a lot of different people, possibly for years. I replace my pillows at home at least once a year, they're not expensive and you'd think a $250 a night hotel might do likewise. If it takes shifting costs, believe me - nobody will mind if you decide to stop putting monogrammed gold foil stickers on the toilet paper. The quality of the linens was also surprisingly low - I've had better linens in Holiday Inns. Everything was basically fine until someone in an adjacent room started chain smoking the stankiest, nastiest, profoundly foul cigars in their bathroom, around 2 or 3 in the morning. It's a non-smoking facility and one is warned about the fine for smoking in the room, so when OUR room filled with disgusting cigar smoke it woke up my boyfriend, who woke me up to help sort it (it was so bad in our bathroom that I was actually retching while trying to figure out how to block it from getting in) I called down to the front desk in an aggrieved state - they said they could not move us to another room, but that they would not charge us the fine for smoking in the room. Um. Thanks? Neither of us was able to sleep comfortably in the fetid room after all the hullaballoo of trying to make the cigar smoke stop filling our room, but I think we both managed to get back to sleep a little before dawn. We called in our room service order. The image I had was, you know, typical romantic room service breakfast type thing. Robes, trays of delicious food, luxurious morning in, hot coffee. None of that happened. We called in our order. We sat around for an hour drinking coffee, waiting on showering and dressing until we'd had breakfast etc. in bed. I called down after we'd waited an hour and 15 minutes and said if it would be much longer to cancel as we'd go out instead. Room Service said it was coming right up. I called again after we'd been waiting an hour and a half. We had to eat, and at this point we were barely going to have time to scarf down some eggs, shower, and dress before the designated checkout time. We were both sick of sitting in the room by now, too. We showered, dressed, and continued to wait for breakfast to arrive. It was ridiculous. Breakfast arrived two hours after we ordered it, and after we'd been told three times that it was on its way when someone obviously should have said "We're swamped and we're quite sorry, it's running very late, if you'd like to eat elsewhere we will cancel your order." Everything on the tray was completely cold. Completely. Like I'm not sure how it managed to be colder than room temperature. I guess it was sitting somewhere with a nice cold draft, probably for at least half an hour or longer. By then I was actively angry. I called down to the front desk and expressed disapproval. And that is pretty much when we saw evidence of quality in the hotel - the staff was apologetic and courteous. They understood we had a long, uncomfortable night, followed by a long, hungry wait for a cold, congealed mess of a breakfast. The breakfast was comped, and I think they might have also comped the room service from the night before (which was delicious - I'd had such high hopes for breakfast as a consequence).

I feel a bit weird giving this hotel 3 stars, because I just wrote a review of a Holidome that got four (though I was on the fence between 3 and 4 with that one too) - but beyond all the glitz and pretty and polish and the nice address and the historic appeal and the lovely elevator, what you really really want from a hotel is a good night's sleep. If it's a luxury hotel that you're paying a substantial sum of money to stay at, you expect it to be comfortable. Honestly, the Holidome had a much nicer bed and much nicer pillows and much nicer linens. We did not wake up to a room full of stank cigar smoke. Nobody kept us waiting for two hours for breakfast. When we had breakfast, it was not cold and congealed and gross. The luxuries a hotel offers are really only going to be thoroughly appreciated by people who have also had their basic needs met. All the other flourishes seem like pearls on a pig if you slept badly and were kept hungry all morning. I wish it had been the grand experience I'd so been looking forward to. I do love hotels. For the price, I can't recommend it without reservation. Mostly because of the sleep quality due to the pillows and sheets being inferior. Our other problems are probably not faced on a regular basis by guests.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!