“Not so great” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
MN
“Not so great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My family and I have been staying at the Raphael annually for nearly 15 years. It's always been an attractive boutique hotel, and the change in ownership a couple of years back resulted in much needed repairs and upgrades. The trade off was a complete loss of personalized service. Our last stay in Dec 2012 was horrific. The reservations had a mix up - we get 3-4 rooms and for our first night we only had 2. I volunteer to sleep on the couch, ask for the bedding to be put in the room, along with more glassware and towels as we are three to a room instead of 2. We get back late and I don't realize that the one thin blanket I've been given is not nearly enough to stay warm - freeze all night. Ask for more blankets the next day, get blankets but the housekeeping staff took the sheets - still are not making the room up for 3 instead of two. Had to ask for coffee and cups, had to ask for towels. My guess is the housekeeping staff does not get a room census or doesn't read it. Upon check out we asked the valet for our car - they kept insisting that someone else's car was ours and actually asked as we were driving away if that car they had brought around wasn't ours?! Staff used to great us by name every year (having spent thousands there over the years), not anymore.

Room Tip: Plaza view is more expensive but only front rooms are truely plaza view, a side room is charged plaz...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Recent Guests,

I am so sorry to read of the challenges you endured from your visit back in December. Thank you for sharing your experience so we can learn to improve with the details you provided.This is certainly not typical of our normal service and response. I apologize we did not do a better job of hosting you on this visit.

Thank you for input as well as your patience and your patronage. I hope we will have the opportunity to regain your trust and confidence with our facilities and our service again one day.

518 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

First off, let me say that this was our first time visiting Kansas City! I chose the Raphael based on it's reviews here on TripAdvisor.

We stayed 2 nights at the Raphael in one of their Presidential Suites. We couldn't have been more pleased. The room was very nice, up-to-date, and more than what we had expected. The sitting area was very spacious with a couch and several other chairs, and a table. We only sat in this room in the evenings to have a nightcap and discuss the days adventure! Never turned on the TV, so cannot speak to that.

The bathroom amenities were very nice, which was highlighted with a jacuzzi tub (in it's own room), seperated by the vanity, and then the toilet and shower were in a seperate area. The shower was very spacious as well and had 2 shower heads. Very nice addition to our stay. Much more than we had anticipated.

The bed was super comfortable and the bedroom had a nice sitting area as well. This suite did not dissapoint.

The only dissapointment about our stay is that our room wasn't cleaned until late in the evening on Saturday. We stayed in our room until around 10:30 that morning with the "do not disturb" sign hung. Unfortunately, the staff forgot about us and never came back. Not a big deal, however worth noting! It's only fair to say that this was our only hiccup during our stay.

The Keurig Coffee machine in our room was also a very nice touch! My wife loved this!!!!

Seriously, our stay really couldn't have been better. Great location and a nice romantic getaway. Shopped all day Saturday at the Plaza, and enjoyed a nice dinner at Chaz Saturday evening.

If you want to try something different, make sure you go by and check out a bar called, Manifesto. Drinks there are amazing.

By the way, the staff at the Raphael were more than helpful when suggesting places to go, shop, eat, etc. Thanks Raphael Staff for making our trip even better!

Room Tip: Presidential Suite is a must!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear recent Raphael Guests,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and kind words you shared about your recent stay with us at the Raphael. I( do want to apologize for the delay with your room follow up, but I hope everything else made up for that delay. it sounds like you enjoyed our City as well, so please come back and see us again soon!

Lee's Summit, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We only spent one night here but I don't have a single complaint. Our double queen room with Plaza view was perfect for our family (myself, husband and daughter). I would like to stay here again during Christmas and have this wonderful view of the Plaza lights. The staff was very friendly and check in was quick. The bed was comfortable and our room was very clean and updated. I enjoyed soaking in the big bath tub while admiring the nice tile work and marble floors. It was very nice to stay in a room with a real thermostat and heater vents! I would definately stay here again!

Dear Beautiful Old Hotel Fans,

We agree with you, we think we have a great place too! Thank you for your kind words, and your patronage. Please come back and see us again soon.

St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We took our three teenaged kids for a quick weekend to KC to shop on the plaza and see the WWI museum. My kids loved the hotel and the employees were very nice; always having a friendly greeting when you walk in and parking your car for free--nice touch. The rooms are newly refurbished and clean and the restaurant (Chaz)is excellent, with amazing service. We would stay there again if we went back. Ti is a nice boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Get the suite--lots of room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Recent Suite Guests,

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay with us. It is always so helpful to share this type of experience with all of our staff, who make it all happen every day. Please come back and see us again soon.

Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just returned home from another wonderful trip to the The Raphael. My wife and I have visited the hotel numerous times over the past years and every time is just a special as the first. From the moment you walk in, you are made to feel welcome. We took advantage of the "February Sunday Special" and were upgraded from a standard king room to a king suite upon arrival. Although we live in the area, The Raphael could be considered out "hotel away from home." We will never stay anywhere else in Kansas City.

Room Tip: Splurge and go for a suite. We have stayed in numerous ones over the year and they are all wonderfu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Recnet Guests of the Raphael Hotel,

We love being "your hotel away from home"! Thank you so much for allowing us to be your favorite hotel. It is always so nice to hear from our local friends as well. Please come back and see us again soon.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Raphael Hotel. Our suite was beautiful and comfortable; the staff was friendly, polite, and professional. Also, very easy access to the Plaza and other downtown venues. What a great place to stay. I want to return to Kansas City just to stay at The Raphael Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Recent Raphael Guests,

Thank you so much for your very kind review and comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is always so helpful to share these type of comments with all of our associates. Please come back qnd see us again soon!

Best regards,
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

From the time I booked this reservation online until we checked out, this could not have been any better. I live in South Florida and my mom lives in the Kansas City area. I flew in to KC that morning and hooked up with Mom and we made our way to the Plaza. Growing up in KC, I always love the ambience of the Plaza and this trip was no exception. It was cold outside, but we were warmed by the wonderful reception we received from everyone. Laura let us check in early and we were taken to a beautiful suite on the 9th floor that had a side view of the Plaza...not head on, but not bad either. The room was really quite nice...better than any I've stayed in before. I must say that the thing that impressed me the most in regards to the room were the sheets on the very comfy beds...they were the softest sheets I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping beneath...honestly, they were wonderful. While I would say that I usually sleep at hotels, I never get a good night's sleep; not so at The Raphael...not even my mom's snoring disturbed me this trip :) We had breakfast at Chaz and it was quite good; we were still full from the night before at The Cheesecake Factory...but, we ate what we could the next day and enjoyed it. It was my mom's birthday and they put a candle in her omelet! Again...I will definitely make The Raphael a place to go when I want to do something special in KC again. Everyone who represented this hotel went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and very special...thank you so much!

Room Tip: For the best views request a room on the higher levels...9th floor was perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Birthday Girls,

We are so happy to read of the great time you had for a very special birthday celebration! Please don't wait for the next birthday, but come back just to visit and a
have a good time with us and Mom! Thank you for your kind words, we will be looking forward to your return soon...

Happy Birthday,

Been to The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!