“Keeps getting better” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Maryland
“Keeps getting better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have stayed several times over the years at the Raphael, and it keeps getting better and better. The service has always been very strong, but they have upgraded the rooms and the restaurant has significantly upgraded in offerings and quality. Keep in mind that this is an older, city hotel and the rooms are small. However the amenities and quality of the rooms are very good.

This will probably be my go to place in the Plaza area of Kansas City.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bill C, Director of Sales at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear "Things Continue To Get Better" Guest,

What a great compliment, thank you so much for your kind words. We work everyday to do just this very thing. We difinitely want to remain your "Go to Place on the Plaza"! We will look forward to your return. Thank you again.

519 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Manitowoc, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed at The Raphael for a girlfriends getaway and had a great stay. The staff was fabulous, from the bellmen to the front desk. Everyone knew our name and we really felt like we were walking into our home away from home and that the staff wanted us to be there!
The staff was knowledgable about the area offering suggestions for entertainment (and even late night pizza!).
I can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Great Stay Guest,

I am so pleased you and your friends had a great time on your recent stay with us. I promise to share all your kind commentsw to all of our associates who work so hard every day to make everyone feel they are at home when visiting the Raphael Hotel. Please come back amd see us again soon, we'll be looking for you!

Happy Holidays,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Raphel is situated in a historic building that was built in the early 1900s. Don't be afraid! All the amenties are updated and it really just adds charm to the building and ambience. The service was fantastic! We arrived after midnight after some travel mishaps and the staff greeted us in our car helped grab the sleeping kiddo's and gear and practially carried all of us up to our room. They seemed to know our needs before we did asking if they needed to alert room service for warm milk or snacks. Everyone was very friendly and conversational in a little more familiar way then in a typical 5 star "professional" way (very Kansas City). My only complaint was the restaurant in the hotel: the food was very average and VERY salty (also very Kansas City). We had also heard that the rooms were very small. We stayed in a suite which I thought was very comfortable and adequate as far as space. There is not a lot to do inside the hotel, but it is located across the street from 'the Plaza' which is full of shopping, eateries, and walking paths. Other than that it was a beautiful and quaint hotel. A very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear "Charmed Guests",

We think you are completely charming as well! Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments that you were so nice to share. It is always so helpful to share this type of feedback with all of our associates, who make it all happen everyday! Please come back and see us again soon...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Wanted to show my wife the Plaza area, as I had done multiple business trips there over the years. The Raphael will now be my go-to hotel for that fun area. Great location, very helpful staff, an excellent restaurant, and charming (though small) rooms. Old-world charming indeed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Can't Wait to Come Back,

Please don't wait too long to come back! Thank you for all your kind words. We will be so glad to share them with all of our associates. We will look forward to your return...

Lees Summit, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Don't even know where to begin. I stayed here with a friend to celebrate our mutual birthdates this past week. We had a gorgeous suite that viewed the Plaza. The Raphael and the Kansas City Country Club Plaza have been favorites of mine for years. I live in the metro KC area, and still pick staying on the Plaza for my birthday weekend as it is tough to beat the area during the Christmas season. That said, I also have stayed at the Raphael at other times of year when I was looking for a special "get away". I have seen much change, of course, in the hotel and it has all been positive change since the Marriott took it over. The rooms and lobby have been tastefully renovated, maintaining their old world charming style, but updating furnishings so that one definitely feels like one is in a 'fine hotel'. One improvement I have noticed since Marriott took over is the way I am treated at the Raphael compared to 'the old days'. I think the staff bends over backwards to be friendly and helpful. This includes everyone from the folks at the front desk to the maintenance men. I find this attitude a huge plus in a hotel and thought it was sorely lacking in years past at the Raphael. I especially was impressed with Laura who was at the desk the two days I was there this past week. It is great to see a smile when one walks into the place .... and she has a beautiful one, plus such a charming manner and helpfulness. The level of luxury in the amenities is very appreciated by myself, as well! The Keurig coffee pot in the room, the thick towels and nice bath products, the sumptuous sheets and comfy mattress and pillows, just to name a few. I also love the coffee and sweets in the hotel lobby as well as having doormen opening doors any time I am in or out .... and with the greeting "welcome back" as I head in from a trek to the Plaza. Love the proximity to the Plaza, too. There is NOTHING like the Country Club Plaza, and to be able to leave my car parked for the extent of my stay and have everything within walking distance that I need .... great shopping, superb restaurants ... is a treat! I loved this stay so much that I am going back with my hubby in a couple of weeks for my real birthday! Oh, and we ate dinner and breakfast at Chaz. Great food and great service!

Room Tip: Ask for Plaza view during the holiday season. Worth the price!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear "Another Great Visitor",

Thank you, thank you, thank you, your review was so kind and so generous! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, so we can share them with all of our asssociates, who work so hard to make it all possible! Please hurry back and celebrate that "real" birthday. We'll be looking for you!

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This place looks great online, and when you're walking in, but the infrequent and only-positive reviews on its website should be a warning. This place has some fundamental issues. (1) Soundproofing. I could hear normal conversation in the adjacent rooms (so they could probably hear me!). It was especially easy to hear what went on in their bathrooms. (2) The shower water pressure was minimal - the water didn't even get a foot away from straight down, and the temperature varied without warning from icy to scalding. (3) There was a ventilation duct in the bathroom ceiling, but absolutely no airflow, so that once the mirror got fogged up it stayed that way for a long time. (4) There was no in-room safe for laptops or other valuables. (5) The top of the dresser was filled with offensively priced snacks and drinks.

Not all bad though - it was immaculately clean, great assortment of pillows, free Wifi and wired internet, good lighting, the best towels I've found in a hotel in years, great cookies, punch, and fruit in the lobby, great location across from the plaza. So, they're making a very real effort, it's just too bad that the problems are so fundamental to the structure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the end of the building, or where the adjacent rooms are not occupied.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bill C, Guest Relations Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. The challenges you described are certainly ones we will give attention to, and your compliments are always helpful to share with all of our associates. I regret we did not do a better job of informing you that we do have in room safes in every guestroom. Thank you again for all of your valuable input.

Best Regards,
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family stays here for Thanksgiving and love it! This hotel is quaint, across the street from the Country Club Plaza shops and the Plaza lights can be seen from the rooms facing the front of the hotel during the Christmas holidays. Ok,,, the staff is a bit overwhelmed on Thanksgiving but since my family tends to happily drift in 1,000 directions it couldn't work better for us. Chaz restaurant is ok,,, good service, ok food. What sets this hotel apart is the architecture, views and excellent service - Thanksgiving notwithstanding. This would also be a fabulous couples/weekend date place. This hotel could best described as old world charming.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel have wonderful views. Each room is a bit different
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Thanksgiving Guests,

We are so glad you could join us this year for the Plaza Lighting Ceremony. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is always so helpful to share these kind of comments with all of our associates who work so hard on this day. By the way we love your description of the hotel as "old world charming", we could not have said it any better. Look forward to your return!

Happy Holidays,

Been to The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!