“Can't wait to go back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Minneapolis
“Can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Wanted to show my wife the Plaza area, as I had done multiple business trips there over the years. The Raphael will now be my go-to hotel for that fun area. Great location, very helpful staff, an excellent restaurant, and charming (though small) rooms. Old-world charming indeed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Can't Wait to Come Back,

Please don't wait too long to come back! Thank you for all your kind words. We will be so glad to share them with all of our associates. We will look forward to your return...

Happy Holidays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Lees Summit, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Don't even know where to begin. I stayed here with a friend to celebrate our mutual birthdates this past week. We had a gorgeous suite that viewed the Plaza. The Raphael and the Kansas City Country Club Plaza have been favorites of mine for years. I live in the metro KC area, and still pick staying on the Plaza for my birthday weekend as it is tough to beat the area during the Christmas season. That said, I also have stayed at the Raphael at other times of year when I was looking for a special "get away". I have seen much change, of course, in the hotel and it has all been positive change since the Marriott took it over. The rooms and lobby have been tastefully renovated, maintaining their old world charming style, but updating furnishings so that one definitely feels like one is in a 'fine hotel'. One improvement I have noticed since Marriott took over is the way I am treated at the Raphael compared to 'the old days'. I think the staff bends over backwards to be friendly and helpful. This includes everyone from the folks at the front desk to the maintenance men. I find this attitude a huge plus in a hotel and thought it was sorely lacking in years past at the Raphael. I especially was impressed with Laura who was at the desk the two days I was there this past week. It is great to see a smile when one walks into the place .... and she has a beautiful one, plus such a charming manner and helpfulness. The level of luxury in the amenities is very appreciated by myself, as well! The Keurig coffee pot in the room, the thick towels and nice bath products, the sumptuous sheets and comfy mattress and pillows, just to name a few. I also love the coffee and sweets in the hotel lobby as well as having doormen opening doors any time I am in or out .... and with the greeting "welcome back" as I head in from a trek to the Plaza. Love the proximity to the Plaza, too. There is NOTHING like the Country Club Plaza, and to be able to leave my car parked for the extent of my stay and have everything within walking distance that I need .... great shopping, superb restaurants ... is a treat! I loved this stay so much that I am going back with my hubby in a couple of weeks for my real birthday! Oh, and we ate dinner and breakfast at Chaz. Great food and great service!

Room Tip: Ask for Plaza view during the holiday season. Worth the price!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear "Another Great Visitor",

Thank you, thank you, thank you, your review was so kind and so generous! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, so we can share them with all of our asssociates, who work so hard to make it all possible! Please hurry back and celebrate that "real" birthday. We'll be looking for you!

Happy Holidays!
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This place looks great online, and when you're walking in, but the infrequent and only-positive reviews on its website should be a warning. This place has some fundamental issues. (1) Soundproofing. I could hear normal conversation in the adjacent rooms (so they could probably hear me!). It was especially easy to hear what went on in their bathrooms. (2) The shower water pressure was minimal - the water didn't even get a foot away from straight down, and the temperature varied without warning from icy to scalding. (3) There was a ventilation duct in the bathroom ceiling, but absolutely no airflow, so that once the mirror got fogged up it stayed that way for a long time. (4) There was no in-room safe for laptops or other valuables. (5) The top of the dresser was filled with offensively priced snacks and drinks.

Not all bad though - it was immaculately clean, great assortment of pillows, free Wifi and wired internet, good lighting, the best towels I've found in a hotel in years, great cookies, punch, and fruit in the lobby, great location across from the plaza. So, they're making a very real effort, it's just too bad that the problems are so fundamental to the structure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the end of the building, or where the adjacent rooms are not occupied.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bill C, Guest Relations Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. The challenges you described are certainly ones we will give attention to, and your compliments are always helpful to share with all of our associates. I regret we did not do a better job of informing you that we do have in room safes in every guestroom. Thank you again for all of your valuable input.

Best Regards,
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family stays here for Thanksgiving and love it! This hotel is quaint, across the street from the Country Club Plaza shops and the Plaza lights can be seen from the rooms facing the front of the hotel during the Christmas holidays. Ok,,, the staff is a bit overwhelmed on Thanksgiving but since my family tends to happily drift in 1,000 directions it couldn't work better for us. Chaz restaurant is ok,,, good service, ok food. What sets this hotel apart is the architecture, views and excellent service - Thanksgiving notwithstanding. This would also be a fabulous couples/weekend date place. This hotel could best described as old world charming.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel have wonderful views. Each room is a bit different
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Thanksgiving Guests,

We are so glad you could join us this year for the Plaza Lighting Ceremony. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is always so helpful to share these kind of comments with all of our associates who work so hard on this day. By the way we love your description of the hotel as "old world charming", we could not have said it any better. Look forward to your return!

Happy Holidays,
kc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

OK, I live 5 minutes away from the hotel, but we thought it would be fun to just have a nice dinner (At the Plaza III) and wander back to the hotel and chill w/o having to deal with the traffic. All went well, the Chaz bar is super but after the lights were lit the partying began. We went to bed about 10 and there was no way we were going to sleep until maybe 1 AM. The hotel is an old remodeled apartment building and it was noisy (A lot of it coming from the mood music on their patio 3 stories down) and rather drunk guests. But, I'll give them a pass on that considering the circumstances. Cons: It's overpriced and the rooms are small. A "Plaza view" may just amount to a look at Hall's parking garage which is one of the ugliest structures ever built. And we had no hot water the next morning. Pros: Nice service, good staff and I met a lot of nice people from all over. Valet parking was included and worked nicely. We got an adjustment on our bill because of the lack of hot water and didn't have to argue about it...that was nice but obviously it happens...be prepared. My main complaints? Noisy (The walls are not soundproofed) and obviously the infrastructer may need to be tuned up. And the shower curtain fell off... I'd try it again though...well run.

Room Tip: "Plaza view" really doesn't mean much.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Plaza Lights Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us during the Plaza Lights Ceremony. Thanks to guests like yourself we have an opportunity to give attention to situations that may require improvement. We obviously want to aplogize for the inconveniences you encountered. We also want to thank you you for the kind words regarding the service you received. We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Sincerely
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

When you walk through the door you can tell that you are in a special place. The lobby is elegantly decorated with furniture that could be characterized as art. The entire hotel is decorated in dark wood and gold finishes. Service was excellent and the restaurant was perfect. You must try the fried green tomatoes If you are a hardcore shopper it will take you several days to visit all the shops in the local area. The real shocker is that the rate is incredibly inexpensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bill C, Guest Relations Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Elegant Guest,

Thank you for such a great reference term dsecribing your recent stay with us at the RAPHAEL! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts from your visit. Thank you as well for your visit to CHAZ!

Please plan on returning during the Holidays, we will be looking for you...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS,
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Ask for a plaza view suite -- sweet! Comfy beds, 2 TVs, updated, clean and nice. Coupon on the internet for cookies and milk delivered to your room. Good location on the plaza. Chaz (restaurant) had the best eggs benedict ever!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Raphael Guests,

Thank you for all your kind words about your recent stay with us, as well as your visit to Chaz. We too feel we have the best egg Benedicts in town! Please return and see us again soon, we will have the cookies and milk waiting for you.

Best Regards,

Been to The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!