“Not what we expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I have heard in the past when you book thru something other than the hotel you get treated differently and I really felt this way at this hotel. I must say valet was the greatest of all the people we encountered. When we checked in the front desk woman was very short with us and not friendly at all. We got our room assignment and I truly believe we had the room with the worst view possible. We looked at a wall and the dirty tar covered roof. Our room was 728, next to the elevator. The room had a new flat screen tv and mattress which was comfortable. The room was set up strangely, the tv was beside the bed so you had to lay on your side to see the tv. The carpet, drapes, walls, and dresser and night stands, were very dark and seem like they have not been updated since the hotel was built. The bathroom was marble but need to be re-done. It was very old and the grout and moulding was old/peeling. I have stayed in many hotels around the US and the world and I have never stayed somewhere that was rated 4 star that seemed so far under standard. The ice machine wasn't working and the the room that it was in seemed like and old laundry room. I was very disappointed with the hotel. I believe that the star rating should come down until remodeling is done on this hotel. This was not up to intercontinential standards or four star standards.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Finnish first
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I booked the room on the hotel's website for $149 for a basic room. upon check up I asked for an upgrade and received a room with a great view of the plaza as well as consierge prividleges. And trust me that was A LOT. The vibe of the whole place was very upscale but still very comfortable. The pool was awesome (but closes at 9pm). It was SO nice to have an outdoor pool where the water was fresh and you could get a sun tan. Our stay here gave us a whole new perspective about going to KC for a short trip. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
The South
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I took my daughter (a recent high school graduate) on a long-weekend shopping trip to Kansas City. We found some nice bargains for her on the shops at the Country Club Plaza, but the best possible bargain we got was before we left. I named my own price on priceline.com and got a room at this gem for $65 per night. Try it, you'll be pleased.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We booked through Hotwire and ended up staying here for around 100.00 (including tax), which was an absolute bargain for this hotel. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and included all of the basic amenities. The front desk upgraded our room to the concierge level, which is located on the 11th floor. We snacked on desserts and drank free cocktails and beer. It was the perfect spot to start a great night out on the town. We also took advantage of the fitness center which was marvelous!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hanover
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Just returned from a 4-day business trip to the Intercontinental. The hotel is nice and clean, very nicely decorated and my room on the smaller 6-floor side of the building was very large and spacious. The location, across from the Country Club Plaza shopping district, cannot be beat. The staff is also very friendly and courteous. Pool area also looked nice but I did not venture out there.

Just a few things... the meeting rooms and even the hotel room were absolutely freezing! Even after talks with management it did not get much better. One person attended a session wearing one of the hotel room bathrobes because it was so cold. You could walk down a hallway and go from 75 to 55 degrees in just a few steps then back again--especially around the elevator areas.

It was not until my third day that I figured out that I needed to set the thermostat in my room about 5 degrees above what I usually do to get the temperature I am used to. If you like it 72, then set it for 76 or 77.

Hotel gift shop is the only place nearby to get a soda in the morning and they charged $3 for a small bottle. Gift shop is also full of a lot of worthless "dollar store" type of junk... not very fitting for such a nice place.

If you go, even if it is the height of summer in Kansas, take a jacket for sweater since the rooms may be extremely cold.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Wonderful hotel with luxurious, spacious rooms and the most comfortable beds! Great floor to ceiling windows with sliding doors and small balcony. Bathroom too small, however. The ONLY complaint! Received free upgrade for Plaza and pool view. Pool and sundeck area were awesome and what better place to stay within the beautiful Country Club Plaza area where you can walk everywhere. Friendly and accommodating staff. Received awesome deal on Hotwire. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
kANSAS CITY, MISSOURI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

I was the mother of the groom of the most beautiful wedding reception EVER at this hotel. The staff was more than accomodating when we unfortunately had a pipe burst at our house in the KC area and gave us the "wedding room rate" for an extra night to get our house dry. The hotel staff was extremely courteous, helpful and very pleasant. The wait staff did a marvelous job at a reception that filled the ballroom! Our suite was beautiful and all the family that stayed there from out of town enjoyed their stay too. I would highly recommend staying at the Intercontinental for a family reunion or a get away to Kansas City, especially with the location. The Plaza District is just a few steps away with all the shopping, eating and entertainment for anyone!

• Stayed May 2009

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!