May 11, 2014
Great location - adjacent to the fine shopping and dining at The Plaza.
Property - older and eloquent, no glass and stainless here, its all about crown molding, fine carpets, french doors, with dark rich wooden walnut walls throughout the property and maintained to the finest tradition of 5 Star properties. It previously was a Four Season and Fairmont, before Intercontinental.
Enjoyments - absolutely the best bed I've ever slept in and I have earned 8 million Marriott Marquis pts over my traveling life. They have a wonderful pool area with fountains, but it strangely was not open YET. (May 11th?) I flew in early Sunday AM, with plans to just enjoy a lazy afternoon with a cigar at the pool... bummer ! I didn't eat in its famous Oak Room restaurant because I always eat across the street at the Plaza III when possible. But the Oak Room is a fine high quality place for dinning or traditional tea.
Service - impeccable throughout the hotel and shows the depth of training in the Brand and Management. I think the overall Star Rating for this hotel is 4.0 but I would rate it at least 4.5 Stars. All smiles and hellos .... 7/24.
Special Experiences this Trip - I have been to this property over business 300 nights in the past 15yrs, but I had not returned in over 3 yrs (2/12/2011). But my expectations were always HIGH when I go to an Intercontinental Hotel. Here's what happens ...
1) Head Valet - BRANDON .... upon driving up to the entrance, Brandon greets me with... "Welcome back Dr. Chan, did you have a good flight ? .... yada yada yada." After the 1st 10 words I forgot what he later said !!! This guy has the memory of an elephant or hotel has some really great CRM tools. In any case, Brandon is typical of the high level of service and attitude at the IHG Kansas.
2) Concierge Lounge Mgr - CRIAG ... Within 2 hours in my room, since I couldn't go to the pool, I received a call from Concierge Lounge, " ... Hello Dr. Chan this is Craig in the lounge. Welcome back ..... yada yada yada" Again after the proactive call from the Craig, nothing mattered after the 1st few words. I realized I was back HOME, at my IHG Kansas Hotel. I've known Craig for years and he has always performed amazing concierge duties for me, including contacting other IHG hotels internationally for me, to make sure my accommodations where just right ! I can only believe that Craig say my name on the AM's census report ... else I don't know how he knew that I had Checked In.
These are typical of the extra attention and extra effort afforded to the IHG Brand by these 5 Star staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, where you will find impeccable service and all the luxuries you have come to expect from an InterContinental Hotel. Our luxuriously appointed guest rooms and superb meeting facilities are all just steps away from the Country Club Plaza entertainment district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Kansas City At The Plaza Hotel Kansas City
- Kansas City Intercontinental
- Fairmont Hotel Kansas City