“Best of Kansas City” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reno, Nevada
“Best of Kansas City”

May 11, 2014

Great location - adjacent to the fine shopping and dining at The Plaza.

Property - older and eloquent, no glass and stainless here, its all about crown molding, fine carpets, french doors, with dark rich wooden walnut walls throughout the property and maintained to the finest tradition of 5 Star properties. It previously was a Four Season and Fairmont, before Intercontinental.

Enjoyments - absolutely the best bed I've ever slept in and I have earned 8 million Marriott Marquis pts over my traveling life. They have a wonderful pool area with fountains, but it strangely was not open YET. (May 11th?) I flew in early Sunday AM, with plans to just enjoy a lazy afternoon with a cigar at the pool... bummer ! I didn't eat in its famous Oak Room restaurant because I always eat across the street at the Plaza III when possible. But the Oak Room is a fine high quality place for dinning or traditional tea.

Service - impeccable throughout the hotel and shows the depth of training in the Brand and Management. I think the overall Star Rating for this hotel is 4.0 but I would rate it at least 4.5 Stars. All smiles and hellos .... 7/24.

Special Experiences this Trip - I have been to this property over business 300 nights in the past 15yrs, but I had not returned in over 3 yrs (2/12/2011). But my expectations were always HIGH when I go to an Intercontinental Hotel. Here's what happens ...

1) Head Valet - BRANDON .... upon driving up to the entrance, Brandon greets me with... "Welcome back Dr. Chan, did you have a good flight ? .... yada yada yada." After the 1st 10 words I forgot what he later said !!! This guy has the memory of an elephant or hotel has some really great CRM tools. In any case, Brandon is typical of the high level of service and attitude at the IHG Kansas.

2) Concierge Lounge Mgr - CRIAG ... Within 2 hours in my room, since I couldn't go to the pool, I received a call from Concierge Lounge, " ... Hello Dr. Chan this is Craig in the lounge. Welcome back ..... yada yada yada" Again after the proactive call from the Craig, nothing mattered after the 1st few words. I realized I was back HOME, at my IHG Kansas Hotel. I've known Craig for years and he has always performed amazing concierge duties for me, including contacting other IHG hotels internationally for me, to make sure my accommodations where just right ! I can only believe that Craig say my name on the AM's census report ... else I don't know how he knew that I had Checked In.

These are typical of the extra attention and extra effort afforded to the IHG Brand by these 5 Star staff.

Room Tip: Check the rates if your travel dates are flexible. My client has a corporate rate at the KC IHG, bu...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!

I regret not being able to see you during your recent stay as it's been a long time and we were all excited to learn you were coming back!

Obviously, we will share your comments with Craig and Brandon.

The opening of the pool is controlled by the city. They will not grant a permit until the water temperature reaches a certain point. The pool did open last week.

We all hope you are retained as a consultant by the company you were visiting! It would be great to see you on a regular basis again! Good luck!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Finnish first
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We spent three enjoyable nights here last weekend. Our room was one of the larger ones in the section overlooking the plaza, not the pool. It was worth the extra money as it is a larger room with a larger bathroom and couch etc. Breakfast service was a little slow in the Oak Room but the food was fine. The pool bar staff including Chris went out of there way to check back often and service was prompt and very friendly. I am so glad you ditched the steel drum music at the pool for something more appropriate!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for returning to the InterContinental KC for a three night stay!

We're glad you enjoyed your experience to the point where you could award us with a 5-star rating on Trip Advisor.

You were in a "deluxe" room, which is preferred by many guests as the room is larger with more seating, and the balcony is over-sized with a small table and two chairs.

Thanks for also letting us know you enjoyed the music at the pool and the service provided by Chris. We'll be sure to let him know you mentioned him by name.

Please stay with us again the next time you are in Kansas City!

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel while in town for a conference and was very pleased with my two nights there. The standout was the phenomenal and friendly service. The entire staff goes out of their way to accommodate you and ensure that your stay is comfortable. The rooms were very spacious and with an adequate, separate work area and a very comfortable bed.

The hotel is conveniently located near the Country Club Plaza area of the city, which is very nice and full of shopping, dining and entertainment options.

In conclusion, this hotel would be my first choice upon returning to Kansas City.

Dear Guest,

In the Midwest, we provide ourselves on hospitality so it is rewarding to have you use the word "phenomenal" to describe the service provided by our team!

We're very happy to know the InterContinental Kansas City will be your first choice for lodging the next time you are in the area. We'll look forward to that time!

Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife, son, daughter in law and their family spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Intercontinental Hotel. The warm welcome of Ed and Bob at the entrance, the excellent service of the bellmen Phil and Robert, and the fine work of Debra in housekeeping helped make our stay an enjoyable one. The rooms on the Concierge level overlooking the Plaza were a treat for our family especially the two young children who loved the view. The bedding was excellent and the room was neat and clean. Robes and slippers are a nice extra touch. Kent and Craig in the Concierge Room made every effort to be sure we enjoyed the amenities offered there. We have stayed at the Intercontinental a number of times and look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: The Concierge Floor is worth the extra expense. Try to secure a room overlooking the Plaza.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments and for the 5-star rating!

We appreciate you letting us know how much you and your family enjoyed your experience and the service provided by Ed, Bob, Phil, Robert, Debra, Craig and Kent! We will be sure to share your comments with each of them.

Please know we appreciate your loyalty to the hotel and we look forward to your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of service.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had a very nice visit at the Intercontinental hotel. The hotel room was very nice, looked to be updated recently. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay great. The weekend morning concierge was outstanding, very friendly and would be the top reason I would come back. The only suggestion, at such a nice hotel, why serve such a cheap house wine. You can do better!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star rating!

We're happy to learn our staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make your stay great. We receive so much positive feedback about the experience in our 11th floor Concierge's Lounge. Given all the complimentary offerings served, there really is great value in this upgrade.

Thank you for your feedback on our house wine. I hope the screw top didn't give you a negative first impression. It really is a nice varietal and many wineries are moving away from corked bottles.

We will look forward to serving you again during your next visit.

Lincoln Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here for a meeting and the location is great as it is right across the street from the Plaza. However, the rooms are very dated and the AC unit in my room made almost an explosion type noise whenever it turned on. It actually would startle me awake each night whenever it kicked on, so needless to say I didn't sleep for more than an hour at a time. The banquet rooms where we had our meetings were located in the basement. They were nice but very dated and the service staff was average. There were occasions when we needed assistance and couldn't get anyone down there to help. Also very few electrical outlets in the rooms. Had to run extension cords in.

Room Tip: Make sure your room balcony faces the plaza.
Dear Guest,

We regret you left with an impression that is so different from most others who stay with us. Please accept my apologies.

If you would like to share more details so we may make amends and follow-up as appropriate, please do not hesitate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Rockford, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a great experience at this hotel. Such a friendly staff from check-in to check-out. They are undergoing remodeling in lounge and Oak Room dining room. This did not hinder the ability of staff to make the evening pleasant with great food and cocktails. Jazz trio in lounge was terrific. Our room was clean and bed very comfortable. We cannot wait to return to KC and enjoy another visit at the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza.

Room Tip: Room with king bed is large and very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!

We're very happy to learn you found the entire team to be friendly, and that you enjoyed your clean room with a comfortable bed. The live music in the Oak Bar on Wednesday through Saturday nights is very popular with our guests. We're glad you were able to enjoy the Jazz trio. Thank you for your patience while we replaced the flooring around the bar. We transitioned from a wood floor to a black granite tile and it looks great! All work is complete.

It's always gratifying when a guest says they will return. We'll look forward to that day!

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!