“Still the Best!!! A Credit to the Intercontinental Portfolio!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas
“Still the Best!!! A Credit to the Intercontinental Portfolio!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and there is not a more friendly group of competant, classy, efficient employees the world over nor a more beautiful setting than the Intercontinental on the Country Club Plaza. The hotel is a beautiful, older, classic type hotel and the pool area is the best in Kansas City, with live band in the summer, children's pool and bar service.

My favorite part is staying in a Concierge level room where you have access to the VIP lounge on the 11th floor, with complimentary light snacks and drinks. The concierge staff on weekend mornings are Kent and Reuben. They are always are friendly, full of advice and attentiveness. However, Craig in the evenings keeps everyone happy, dinner reservations made, and seems to know all of his guests. Melanie the day time concierge and supervisor from South Africa is soooo efficient and all I need to do is give her a call and she handles anything I need when I decide to come down, book a party, etc. She gets the right person in touch with me, makes sure I have my rooms and then follows up to make sure it is all going smoothly. They all are super and the view over the Plaza is the best.!

However, the entire hotel is like a model hotel with each department operating like it is the example used for training excellent associates in the hospitality industry. From housekeeping, to the front desk, to John, Joe, & Phil my fav bellmen. They each are doing their job and welcome you usually by name when you return.

Two weeks ago, I held a small birthday dinner party for my sister with 80 pp and 11 rooms. Denise, the Catering Director, orchestrated it flawlessly but what impressed me was how perfect her plan was implemented by the entire staff from each department. Whether it was the cleanliness of the room, the friendlessly and efficency of the serving staff , the bartender to the front desk and valet, I know not which person was best but the entire team made my event perfect. I did not hear a complaint from anyone in our group...It made my job as planner so easy and I was able truly enjoy my stay here.

I would be remiss to not mention the door & valet staff as they are the front line in greeting everyone and making me feel like an old timer and member of the family every time I visit. My husband and I used to come down from Topeka at least once a month and even though he passed away last summer, the door man, Brandon, Ed, Dave and others are super. It was sad to drive up the first few times without my husband but they have welcomed and helped me in,, with such kindness and concern that I felt like I was their Aunt.

I know this sounds like I was paid to do a review but trust me it is real and I am a regular guest of this hotel. (Please read my numerous other reviews from around the world and you wll see they are not always like this.)

All of this at the KC Intercont'l is a sign of a splendidly operated organization and a credit to the IC name.

Lou

Room Tip: Concierge level and I won't tell you my favorite room as then it won't be available, but an...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful remarks regarding your many stays at the InterContinental Kansas City! It is very kind of you to mention by name the members of our team who have positively impacted your experiences.

We all love having you here and consider you part of the InterContinental family! It is always a pleasure to see you and catch up. I know you have many contacts at the hotel, but whenever I may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me directly!

Once again, thank you for you kind comments and for your loyalty to the hotel!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Finnish first
Leawood, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel this time of year for an annual conference. Each time, Kent in the Concierge Suite has been very accommodating and helpful and provides excellent service. He makes sure your coffee is warm and full and you have everything you need to make your time in the suite enjoyable and comfortable. This is a beautiful hotel with very nice accommodations and views of the Country Club Plaza.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us for the 3rd time and for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor!

Kent does do an amazing job, and we're very happy you were able to see firsthand how accommodating and helpful he his. We'll be sure to share your comments with him.

We all look forward your 4th stay!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The service at this hotel is AMAZING. Special shout out to Ben P the bartender. Thank you for going above and beyond to make otherwise bland work travel really fun! Everyone I came across was genuinely kind. Such a nice visit and the balcony rooms are superb.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

We're glad you found our staff to be genuinely kind and their service amazing! We'll be sure to share your comments with Ben and extend our thanks to him for going above and beyond the call of duty to serve you.

We're also happy you enjoyed your private balcony. So you know, about 95% of our guestrooms have balconies, and they are a great place to watch the activities on the Plaza from a bird's eye view. Our "deluxe" rooms have an over-sized balcony with a small table and two chairs. They are very popular in the spring!

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. We all look forward to the next opportunity to serve you!.

Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Great service, very helpful staff, friendly people. The view of the Plaza was ideal, every room has a great view, regardless of location. The manager of the hotel was so helpful, kind, and accommodating. Nice to have a place with such great hospitality and prime location next to lots of restaurants and shopping. It was my first ever visit and I am sure it won't be my last!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

We're so happy to learn your expectations were exceeded during your first stay at the InterContinental Kansas City, and we're equally as happy to learn you plan on returning. It will be our pleasure to serve you again at the time!

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

While on a business trip to Kansas City I had the pleasure of staying at this fine hotel, the house keeping crew did a great job, and unlike most hotels they greet you with a hello and a smile. One of the staff members was extremely nice and helpful during my visit ( Gurdalupe Munoz ) is a delightful person and an asset to the hotel. God Bless you in all you do.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience on Trip Advisor!

It's wonderful to learn you found our staff to be so friendly and warm. When it comes to hospitality, nothing defines it better than a genuine smile and a sincere hello. Please know we will share your comments with Guadalupe. It will make her day!

We know you were here for business. When your schedule allows it, please stay with us for a time of leisure. The city has so much to offer, and it doesn't get any better than on the Country Club Plaza, Kansas City's crown jewel for the last 90 years!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Huge bedrooms, friendly front desk and restaurant service, good toiletries, and smart common parts. But bath tub small and why do you have to pay for wifi at such an expensive hotel. Perfectly good place though scarcely special in any regard.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with other travelers on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to learn you enjoyed your huge guestroom and the service provided by our associates at the front desk and in the restaurant.

The hotel does indeed charge for internet access, as do most all of the hotels in this market. However, unlike many other hotels, we do provide complimentary internet to IHG's Reward Club members. The membership is complimentary and enrollment may be done very quickly at check-in.

We will look forward to serving you again the next time you are in our great city!

Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Wonderful service, large well appointed rooms, good food. It is a short walk to excellent shopping and restaurants. We stayed on the concierge floor and I highly recommend it. Service is outstanding. Live music was very good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!

Service is everything, and we're glad the service you receive made such a positive impression, along with the large guestroom, good food, live music and the hotel's superior location at the doorstep to the beautiful Country Club Plaza.

Please stay with us again the next time you are in Kansas City!

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!