I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and there is not a more friendly group of competant, classy, efficient employees the world over nor a more beautiful setting than the Intercontinental on the Country Club Plaza. The hotel is a beautiful, older, classic type hotel and the pool area is the best in Kansas City, with live band in the summer, children's pool and bar service.
My favorite part is staying in a Concierge level room where you have access to the VIP lounge on the 11th floor, with complimentary light snacks and drinks. The concierge staff on weekend mornings are Kent and Reuben. They are always are friendly, full of advice and attentiveness. However, Craig in the evenings keeps everyone happy, dinner reservations made, and seems to know all of his guests. Melanie the day time concierge and supervisor from South Africa is soooo efficient and all I need to do is give her a call and she handles anything I need when I decide to come down, book a party, etc. She gets the right person in touch with me, makes sure I have my rooms and then follows up to make sure it is all going smoothly. They all are super and the view over the Plaza is the best.!
However, the entire hotel is like a model hotel with each department operating like it is the example used for training excellent associates in the hospitality industry. From housekeeping, to the front desk, to John, Joe, & Phil my fav bellmen. They each are doing their job and welcome you usually by name when you return.
Two weeks ago, I held a small birthday dinner party for my sister with 80 pp and 11 rooms. Denise, the Catering Director, orchestrated it flawlessly but what impressed me was how perfect her plan was implemented by the entire staff from each department. Whether it was the cleanliness of the room, the friendlessly and efficency of the serving staff , the bartender to the front desk and valet, I know not which person was best but the entire team made my event perfect. I did not hear a complaint from anyone in our group...It made my job as planner so easy and I was able truly enjoy my stay here.
I would be remiss to not mention the door & valet staff as they are the front line in greeting everyone and making me feel like an old timer and member of the family every time I visit. My husband and I used to come down from Topeka at least once a month and even though he passed away last summer, the door man, Brandon, Ed, Dave and others are super. It was sad to drive up the first few times without my husband but they have welcomed and helped me in,, with such kindness and concern that I felt like I was their Aunt.
I know this sounds like I was paid to do a review but trust me it is real and I am a regular guest of this hotel. (Please read my numerous other reviews from around the world and you wll see they are not always like this.)
All of this at the KC Intercont'l is a sign of a splendidly operated organization and a credit to the IC name.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, where you will find impeccable service and all the luxuries you have come to expect from an InterContinental Hotel. Our luxuriously appointed guest rooms and superb meeting facilities are all just steps away from the Country Club Plaza entertainment district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com and Despegar.com so you can book your InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Kansas City At The Plaza Hotel Kansas City
- Kansas City Intercontinental
- Fairmont Hotel Kansas City