“A higher standard” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
“A higher standard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

The ICKC sets a standard among Kansas City hotels. It's location is perfect along Brush Creek and Country Club Plaza. It's very close to nice restaurants, Seasons 52 is our favorite, and some awesome shops. Williams-Sonoma is just across the way and always has something going on. Our favorite shop is probably The Better Cheddar. It started as a sandwich and cheese shop and has turned into so much more! All within easy walking distance for most everyone.

Staying at the ICKC we always stay on the concierge level. It's a little more expensive but so worth it. A light breakfast is served. Snacks are most always available and an assortment of drinks. In fact, they have a machine that makes a latte as well as Starbucks and you don't pay $5 a cup! That pays for it for us right there. Not to mention the concierge, very knowledgeable and a great resource for getting a reservation. Concierge Craig, in fact, got us a reservation we were unable to get ourselves.

We have yet to visit the bar and restaurant onsite but things always look busy.

Nice hotel, great crowd, perfect location.

• Stayed September 2013
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor! We're very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay.

Please know we will share you comments with Craig.

We all look forward to serving you again the next time you are in Kansas City!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Finnish first
watertown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I'm pretty big with first impressions and the InterContinental in Kansas City didn't disappoint. Upon entering the hotel the decor gave me a sense of sophistication and class. The employees at the front desk and concierge were all very friendly and quite attentive. I thought that the accommodations were fantastic; the rooms were clean and quite spacious with comfortable beds, wireless internet, with a balcony that overlooked the pool and a view of the Country Club Plaza.

The Oak Bar, located just off the lobby was pretty cool with live music weekend nights. The bar boasts a wide range of liquors, including 40 kinds of beers; the only unfortunate thing was that none of the beers were on draft (nothing major). The appetizers from the bar menu were also quite delicious.

Being that this was my first time in Kansas City, the location couldn’t be more perfect. Walking distance to the Country Club Plaza which is a fifteen-block outdoor museum surrounded by shopping, dining and entertainment venues.

If you want to explore and experience some nightlife a 5 minute cab ride can take you to the entertainment district of KC, Westport. From local bands to national touring acts you can catch top notch entertainment here. Had an absolute blast in KC, and it was primarily a business trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the very kind comments regarding the many aspects of your stay. We're obviously happy to learn how much you enjoyed everything.

We would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in town.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our 7th year stay at the IC. We have alway enjoyed our stay and we are still appreciating the hospitality in the lounge. This year I have special thanks to housekeeping. I realized the next day I left a jacket in the room and called to leave word with housekeeping to hold it. I got a call back from Ms Curry, head of housekeeping, to tell me it would be at the front desk. In all the hundreds of hotel stays we have had over the years only once did I get such a quick and helpful response to my housekeeping difficulty. Many, many thanks. I love those jackets. It turned out to be two jackets I left. We picked them up on the way back from Jefferson City on the way to the airport. Again, many thanks. It is appreciated.

Room Tip: The view looking down on the Country Club Plaza is very nice
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your 5-star experience on Trip Advisor!

Please know we appreciate your loyalty to the hotel during the last seven years and we look forward to serving you many times in the future.

We will be sure to share your comments with Ms. Curry!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed at the hotel again after a 15 year gap. The hotel feels old. The owner or Intercontinental has not put much money into the property and it shows. It looks like a Ritz Carlton circa 1995. The room was fairly basic but large. The bed was just ok by recent hotel standards and the bedding felt "moist". The front desk attendant who checked us in was very efficient and welcoming given the late hour of our arrival. The front desk staff in the morning were rather cold and perfunctory. More like the post office than a hotel. The wait staff at the restaurant for breakfast were friendly and welcoming. The restaurant itself was nice and bright but again seemed like it had not been updated in many many years. I don't know where the Intercontinental chain is trying to position itself against peers but this property doesn't do much for the brand.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're glad you found your room to be large and enjoyed the service provided by our staff.

It was a surprise to learn you felt the hotel looked "old". There has been extensive renovations in the last five years including all guestrooms, all corridors, the lobby, the restaurant and lounge, the 11th floor Concierge's lounge and the rooftop meeting space.

Last week, we were awarded the AAA four-diamond award for the 22nd consecutive year and three weeks ago, we were selected as the "Best Hotel in Kansas City" by the readers of Ingram's magazine for the 5th consecutive year.

St Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This previously was a Ritz Hotel. It is luxe with the old world feeling of paneled walls and antique furniture in the public spaces. The staff is well trained and friendly like one expects, but doesn't always find in beautiful hotels. I opted for a larger room. it wasn't that much more expense than the standard room and worth it. There was a small balcony with table and two chairs overlooking the Plaza and beyond it the midtown area highrises. The bed was bliss. there were black out shades which i like when traveling. Nice closet space with iron and digital safe. Beautiful bathroom, but I had water saving showers in hotels. Not as refreshing as a shower should be no matter how your turn the dial to change the tiny beads of water. The pool deck was overflowing (holiday weekend) and the water refreshing. The hotel wasn't that expensive and definitely worth the price.

Room Tip: all the rooms have a view. the higher the better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the InterContinental Kansas City and for awarding us your 5-star rating!

We look forward to another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in our great city!

Wilton Manors, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I traveled to attend a meeting at the InterContinental Hotel in KC at the Plaza. It's an older nice hotel that use to be a Ritz Carlton Hotel so you have the rich woods you always see in their hotels. The staff was very nice the food was good and the hotel was clean and well kept. One thing I noticed was the way they nickle and dime you on services such as their internet. First of all they don't have free internet in the lobby and you don't have the ability to use the internet if you are attending a meeting, etc. I have not stayed at a hotel in a couple years that didn't at least have free internet service in the lobby. When you do purchase the internet for your room they only allow you to connect 2 items to it. I normally travel with my laptop and my ipad (only to read the daily papers I get) and my iphone.. so I noticed an additional charge for the 3rd connection.. I stopped by the desk and the they explained why the charge... they don't tell you that you can only connect two items to your internet per room without an additional charge.. so they did how ever remove the extra charge .. they would be wise to let people know. Also many of the people attending the meeting could not get into their rooms until 5 to 6 pm and were suppose to be at a reception at that time.. so after traveling they had no were to get changed. I have told groups that I have worked with that they should avoid having their meetings in Kansas City because of all the fees the cities require hotels to add to your hotel bill.. or renting a car at the airport.. I got a car for $10 per day for 3 days yet with all the fees that were added by the city for 2 new buildings downtown they are charging about $5.00 per day for each of them and a new "rental car" facility at the airport which added an additional I think $4 per day as well as some sales tax and state taxes by that time the bill was about $90 for the 3 days.. so the fees are way out of whack and people should avoid flying into Kansas City if they can.

Room Tip: The tower rooms facing the Plaza give you a wonderful view of the area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We're very happy to learn you enjoyed the hotel, the amenities and the service provided by our staff.

Like most hotels in the area of the Country Club Plaza, we do charge for internet access. However, please know that IHG Priority Club guests receive free internet access. There is no charge to sign up for Priority Club and you may do so when checking in as it is a very quick process.

We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Kansas City.

San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm a Royal Ambassador with Intercontinental. If you're not familiar that entitles me to:

Upgrade at booking - nope, had to ask for it at check in. Even after I did, and was indeed upgraded, my status STILL not acknowledged.

Welcome gift - nope.

Fruit and Water - nope.

Free mini-bar - had to ask for one to be put in the room. Then after it was put in the room, had to ask for them to fill it...

Free Internet - called down to the desk and told to put it on my bill and if I'm "a gold or higher" I'd be able to have it taken off at checkout. Hello? Royal. How about acknowledging it. Once. Just once.

I was upgraded, but the carpet is stained, the wallpaper is peeling, and the room is overall dirty.

I've tried calling the manager. He wasn't around. Emailed him. Nothing.

This is a HoJo masquerading as an Intercontinental.

• Stayed August 2013
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

As communicated to you, please accept our apologies for the difficulties you experienced while our guest. Your reservation was not noted as to your Royal Ambassador status, so our staff was not aware you were entitled to the various perks that come with your status. Considerations have been made to you and we hope to have a second opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!